• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Franwoof

Franwoof
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 27-December 12

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Is there a way to make a round afghan without ruffling. I have tried many ways to do it so that it is perfectly round and lays perfectly flat, but I can't seem to accomplish that.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
I'm making a target afghan for my great niece who does archery.
Thanks.

#2 MarshaRice

MarshaRice
  • Villager
  • 159 posts

• Joined 04-October 12

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

The most important thing about working in the round, is that you increase each round by the number of stitches you start with.
eg: If you start your circle with 12 dc, then you increase by 12 dc every round. Each subsequent round will have 1 more dc between the increases. This should give you a circle without any ruffling. Simarily if you start with 8 stitches then every round needs to be increased by 8 stitches
Hope this helps

Marsha

LIFE'S SHORT, LIVE IT WELL

2013 Stashbusting CAL

WTD: -8, YTD: +3

#3 Franwoof

Franwoof
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 27-December 12

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Marsha, Thanks for the reply. I started doing that last night, but it is still getting a bit ruffly. I started with 8 sc in the ring, and increased 8 sts every round. I was wondering if I increased every other row if that would take care of the problem. I might try it. I can always pull it out.
Franwoof

#4 MarshaRice

MarshaRice
  • Villager
  • 159 posts

• Joined 04-October 12

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Marsha, Thanks for the reply. I started doing that last night, but it is still getting a bit ruffly. I started with 8 sc in the ring, and increased 8 sts every round. I was wondering if I increased every other row if that would take care of the problem. I might try it. I can always pull it out.
Franwoof

It might be a bit ruffly until it is blocked, but I honestly think you should start with 12 dc sts. and increase 12 dc sts every round. If this dose'nt work then I have no other answer.

Marsha

LIFE'S SHORT, LIVE IT WELL

2013 Stashbusting CAL

WTD: -8, YTD: +3

#5 Franwoof

Franwoof
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 27-December 12

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Marsha, I will try it.
Franwoof

#6 craftconnie1

craftconnie1
  • Villager
  • 793 posts

• Joined 04-April 06

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

also stay with one brand of yarn...they are not always the same

#7 lil_mama06

lil_mama06
  • Villager
  • 1,924 posts

• Joined 12-January 08

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Just want to say good luck. Would love to see your afghan when it gets done.

Debbie-Mom to 6 GORGEOUS girls

Proud Owner of Tampa Dolls Bag #93-EVERGREEN

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,423 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

Usually with sc, you begin with 6, then increase 6 in every rnd, not 8. So the extra sts are making it ruffle.

Marsha is telling you how to do it with dc.

#9 Franwoof

Franwoof
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 27-December 12

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thank you real deal. I will try that.

#10 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,306 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Everyone's tension and stitch height and yarn used is different, so the formulas above are guidelines but don't be afraid to stray if you have to, or to make an 'irregular' correction every now and again to keep it flat. No one will notice if you add a row here and there without an increase, or with half as many increases if you need to.

You can sometimes control the ruffle (a little) by varying the center hole - if you use an adjustable ring you can pull it tighter or looser, which affects the circumference and therefore the ruffle.

Granny Square

#11 Franwoof

Franwoof
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 27-December 12

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thank you granny square. This sure has been frustrating. I just have to remember that it is going to be a child's blanket. It's not up for any nobel prize!!

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,423 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Oh yes, you have to kind of "go with the flow" as you work farther out. Sometimes you need a little more or less increasing. With sc circles, I find it easiest to think about 3 increases on each half of the circle, and move them around a bit so they don't stack up above each other. This way a better rounded edge can be made.

I love your idea, by the way, of making a target afghan. It's a clever idea, and I'll bet your great niece will be sooooo delighted!

#13 Franwoof

Franwoof
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 27-December 12

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Thank you real deal. I have just ripped it out again. My yarn is going to wear out before it becomes an afghan!

#14 shariw52

shariw52
  • Villager
  • 35 posts

• Joined 05-August 08

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

If you start with 12 stitches, the second round would double to 24. All subsequent rounds will increase by 6 stitches. You should have no ruffling if you you this sequence.