Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

How to make a pattern bigger/smaller

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kittaly

Kittaly
  • Villager
  • 71 posts

• Joined 17-December 12

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hello, I'm new this crochet thing and I'd like to specifically get into making amigurumi. I've found a lot of wonderful patterns but one thing I've noticed is that they are all on the small side.

I'd like to know how you adjust the size, I like my dolls big like 12 inches at the very least. What numbers need to be changed and how do you go about doing this? What is the math behind doing this?

I've tried looking it up but either there isn't much out there or I'm not exactly looking for the right thing because all I found were people asking about specific patterns in various places and people asking for a link to the pattern then posting what was needed to be done. I'm not looking for anything specific right now. I just want to know myself how to do it.

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,342 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

You can't. It's a completely different pattern.

Have you looked at the ami patterns at Ravelry.com? I'm sure you'll find some big ones there.

#3 smokeyp81

smokeyp81
  • Villager
  • 3,102 posts

• Joined 30-September 05

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm with RoseRed...I would think you would have to have a different pattern. You would however be able to change the size somewhat by using a larger hook. I don't think it would change the size enough for what you are looking for though.

<p>Heather2014 Book Challenge:20/50

Book Challenge: 2011-30/50 2012-35/50 2013-20/50

Bag Lady #67 Jack-O-Lantern - October 2011

#4 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,603 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Here is a free pattern for a 12 inch doll, click under the first photo for the pattern. Mary

http://easymakesmeha...et-pattern.html

#5 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,721 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Since you are new to crochet, you probably don't know that ami's are meant to be small and a particular formula isn't used. The heads are usually overly large with very large, cute eyes. Hands and / or feet are sometimes overly large, if they are included at all. Sometimes tails are extra large also. Arms, legs and bodies can go either way, but are generally small. They aren't standardized sizes, but are more of a cute cartoonized version of whatever it is you want to make.

#6 Kittaly

Kittaly
  • Villager
  • 71 posts

• Joined 17-December 12

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I apologize for the delayed response, last minute holiday shopping nearly killed me yesterday and I never had a free moment.

I think I've pretty much been through every free pattern site on the net and not really found anything to my liking.

I appreciate the input. I suppose I'll just wing it and see what happens. Even without a particular formula involved, there is always a way even if it involves dissecting each individual part of each individual pattern which I suppose is what I will have to do.

Good thing I'm stubborn like a mule and have a husband who is good at analyzing and adjusting things in situations like this.

#7 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

can't wait to see what you are able to come up with!

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln