Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Leaning DC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nanasaidso

nanasaidso
  • Villager
  • 61 posts

• Joined 18-July 12

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Making the Sunshine Baby Dress from the Spring 2012 Crochet Today Baby and Kids Book. The pattern's alternates from rows of SC and chains, to rows of DC and shells, increasing the SC's each round (and consequently the DC's) to shape the skirt while keeping the same number of shells. It's worked in one piece from the neck down.

So, the shells form consistent lines down the skirt, while the rows of DC's are to make increasingly wider inverted triangles between the shells. My problem is that my rows of DC make the triangles lean. I sound clear as mud, I know. What I mean is that each new set of DC shifts slightly to the left of the one below even though the SC increase is done in the center of each set of SC's. I'm ending up with Leaning Tower of Pisa triangles even though I'm being very careful to work the SC's and DC's in exactly the right places.

Any suggestions?

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,702 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hi, welcome to the ville:hook

Are you turning on each round? Even though the pattern may not say to do so, turning can cancel out the lean caused by stacking stitches all going in the same direction.
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 nanasaidso

nanasaidso
  • Villager
  • 61 posts

• Joined 18-July 12

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Kathy, no, I didn't know you could turn when working in the round! I'll have to look at that and see how I'd do it. Thank you!

So, does that mean the lean is natural, and not something I'm doing wrong?

Marta

#4 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,468 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Yep, the lean is just the nature of crochet.

When you turn, your rows/rounds look like this
\\\\\
/////
\\\\\
/////
So the lean cancels itself out.

When you don't turn, keeping the same side facing, the rounds look like this
\\\\\
\\\\\
etc. so the lean is exaggerated and depending on the pattern can start to spiral or skew.

Granny Square

#5 nanasaidso

nanasaidso
  • Villager
  • 61 posts

• Joined 18-July 12

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

I have just a few rows left. I think I'll try to block out the lean. Have to admit, I'm glad to know it's not just me!

Thanks for the help, everyone!