Crochetville LLC

• Administrator
  • 2 posts

• Joined 27-January 13

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

The 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece

Dates: Friday, February 7 -- Sunday, February 23

Social media hashtag: #CGAG

Athlete Eligibility: The 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece are open to all crocheters around the world who wish to celebrate the spirit of the ancient Greek games by challenging themselves and their crochet abilities.

The Challenge: Pick a crochet project that will be a challenge for you to complete during the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Start Time: We will all begin our projects when the Olympic Games begin with the Opening Ceremonies in Sochi at 20:00 Moscow Time (11:00 AM EST, 8:00 AM PST). For those who live in other time zones, here is a time difference calculator to help you figure out your local start time.

End Time: The Games will end on Sunday, February 23 after the Closing Ceremonies and after the torch has been extinguished. Since we don't know what time that will take place, the official end time will be 23:59 Moscow time (2:59 PM EST, 11:59 AM PST). To qualify for a medal, you must edit your Entry Form with "Finished" prior to this time.

Teams: Being on a team can add even more fun to the games. This year, any member is welcome to create a team and serve as team captain. As team captain, it will be your job to encourage and support your team members as they work toward completing their challenge. You are welcome to create your own team challenges and contests.

You can join as many teams as you wish, but you must have a separate project for each team.

Team sign-ups will officially close when the 2014 Games open at 20:00 Moscow Time on February 7.

We'll update Team Stats (number of medals won) as the Games progress.

Medals: Winners of the ancient Greek games were immortalized in poems and statues by writers and artists. While we can't immortalize you, we will award medals (badges you can post on your blog or use as Facebook avatars) at the end of the Games.

Gold: Project is 100% complete
Silver: Project is 95-99% complete
Bronze: Project is 90-94% complete
Honorable Mention: Project is 80-89% complete

How to Join
If you want to be a part of the 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece, please post in the Athlete Registration topic.

Blog Button
Please feel free to save a copy of our 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece button (created by Donna) on your own webspace and include it on your blog or personal website. You're welcome to use the button even before you're ready to be listed as an official athlete.

crochetgames2012.jpg

Prizes
We will award some prizes at the end of the 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece. To be eligible for a prize, you must post your Medal Status in your Athlete Registration post by 2:59 PM EST on Sunday, February 23. Winners will be selected by random drawing. 

Sponsors
We are seeking sponsors to provide prizes for the drawing. If you or your company would like to donate a prize (pattern, yarn, hooks, etc.), please post a message in our Prizes thread with details of the prize your are offering.

Buzz
Please feel free to post about and discuss the 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece on your blogs, websites, Facebook pages, Twitter, Pinterest, and to invite your friends to come participate with us. (See disclaimer below: please do not refer to this event as the Crochet Olympics.) Use the hashtag #CGAG.

Disclaimer
Although we are holding this event at the time of the 2014 Sochi Olympics, the 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece are not officially affiliated with or endorsed by the International Olympic Committee, the US Olympic Committee, the British Olympic Committee, or the Olympic Committee of any other country.

• KathyWho likes this

#2 PBLKNP

PBLKNP

• Villager
  • 3,238 posts

• Joined 04-November 05

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

I had a question...does this need to be a brand-new project, or can it be one that you've been trying to complete for a while now, but need a push?

PAM

WIP = Set-in Sleeve Top-Down Sweater (k), Mary Maxim Crochet-Along (cr) 

Done this year: Sock Monkey Blanket (k), Hooded Children Cardigan Sweater (cr), Socks (k).

Stashbuster Total: WTD 0  YTD -6

:manyheart

#3 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,899 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

The rules say you have to start and complete the project during the Games, so I think that pretty much limits it to a new project.

EDIT: I take that back. In previous years, the rules have said to start and finish a project during the Games. However, I accidentally changed the wording this year. So, based on this year's wording, if it will be a challenge to you to finish this project during the Games, go for it! :)

Amy Shelton
Crochetville Co-Owner and Social Media Director

Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Facebook Page | Twitter | Pinterest

#4 franer5

franer5

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 27-January 14

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I will be making a reversible ripple/heart afghan.  I just saw a picture of one made on your facebook site and loved it.  I ordered the books so hopefully I will have it in time to make for the Olympics.  The stitch looks difficult but going to give it my best.  If this is not in in time, I will start my afghan for my nephew who is a fireman

Attached Thumbnails

• reversible ripple heart afghan.jpg
  • Firefighter maltese Cross white.jpg

• luciucantsayit likes this

#5 luciucantsayit

luciucantsayit

• Villager
  • 11 posts

• Joined 23-March 07

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

I am making a tablecloth for my mother for her birthday in late March.  It is actually two parts: the hardest part is the center portion which will be a freeform crocheted rooster approximately 20"-24" by approx 28".  Designing it and making it will be a huge challenge to complete in your time frame.  Could I use the rooster as my project or would I have to complete the entire tablecloth (which would mean choosing another project, of which I have many :).  ) 

#6 dilyca2006

dilyca2006

• Villager
  • 2,303 posts

• Joined 28-December 06

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

can I do my gauge swatch before the start of the games? 

Diane in IA
2011 stashbusting cal....WTD +2....YTD +52(04/19/11)
2010 stashbusting cal.. WTD +3 YTD -318 (12/24/10)
2009 stashbusting Cal...WTD -28 YTD -27(12/31/09)

#7 Apak

Apak

• Villager
  • 3,064 posts

• Joined 02-August 09

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

Well... th new olimpic games start on Friday and I thought how great fun was crocheting together during the games...I miss it  :crocheting

Anna

#8 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,899 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

DOnna and I have both had such a busy summer that we haven't been paying much attention to the upcoming Olympic Games. I don't think there's enough time to really organize them this go around. Maybe we can just have a social chit-chat crochet-along thread for the Olympics or something this year?

We could plan on doing an official Crochet Games of Ancient Greece event for the 2018 Winter Olympics, though. What do people think about that?
  • Apak likes this

Amy Shelton

Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Facebook Page | Twitter | Pinterest

#9 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,899 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

Here's a link to a new 2016 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece CAL thread:

http://www.crochetvi...ent-greece-cal/

Edited by Amy, 04 August 2016 - 09:47 PM.
Fix link

Amy Shelton

#10 Apak

Apak

• Villager
  • 3,064 posts

• Joined 02-August 09

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Yesterday I thought about the CAL thread too, so I'm glad we can do it this way this time.

But Amy, the link doesn't go to CAL thread - but to your first post in THIS thread  ;)

Anna

#11 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,899 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

Anna, thanks for letting me know I messed up the link in my previous post. I fixed it. :)

Amy Shelton