• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ArtMama

ArtMama
  • Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

My mother in law is loaning me a few patterns to learn from. She thinks I can handle it. I have not had time, yet, to look at them extensively...but what I have seen looks like Greek!
She lives too far away to help me a whole with the projects.

So far, I just know sc. I've seen videos on other stitches that I understand, but I have not tried them. How long did you take learning stitches before you tried a pattern?

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,419 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

I think some people like to practice stitches first, and some people like to start with a simple pattern.

I am more of a practice the stitches person but i learned so long ago, i dont remember how long it took.
--Kathy
I'm Kaycrochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together at the Fulton MO public library Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 mattenylou

mattenylou
  • Villager
  • 1,043 posts

• Joined 04-August 08

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

ArtMama, sometimes these patterns do look like they are written in a foreign language when we first start out. After a while, and with practice, reading and understanding patterns will become second nature and you'll think nothing of it.

When I first started out, I found patterns a lot easier to follow if I wrote out each row on a separate index card, so I could just concentrate on just one line without losing my place in a big pattern. It helped me a lot and I still do it when I'm working on an intricate pattern.

Have you tried making some simple squares from watching Youtube videos? If you are able to follow along with a video and make a sample piece, you have been following a "pattern", even tho it wasn't written out as such.

Try doing just one row, or one section at a time. You can always ask for help here or google for help with a tutorial or video.

Good luck! Your first project doesn't have to be perfect, it's the effort that counts!! My very first project was a granny square afghan. No one ever showed me the difference between the right and wrong sides and I added new rows to the wrong sides of most of the squares and had a zillion knots with tails hanging off that I just snipped off. Yikes! To make it even worse, it was orange, avocado green, and gold! I made it of scratchy acrylic yarn popular in the early 70's. That afghan would NOT die, nothing would kill it no matter how badly we treated it. I threw it away just a couple of years ago, sad to say, it still probably had another 50 years of good use in it, but I couldn't stand looking at those knots anymore.
Keep Smilin'....

#4 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,577 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well I am an odd ball. I am a lefty and had no one to help me so it was years before I decided I could try it on my own. I think the invention of the internet and videos finally helped me realize that I coul learn now.

So many friends were knitting the fun fur scarves and I knew I was definately not capable of knitting since it required moving 2 hands at once. Saw a friend crocheting a fun fur scarf in SC with a big hook. Didn't realize one could crochet them. So I learned SC one day from a book with left handed photos then after a few hours got some fun fur a P hook and made a fun fur scarf. During that week I learned swatches of the other basic stitches then did some dishclothes and worsted weight scarves and on from there. Mary

#5 ArtMama

ArtMama
  • Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

Wow! Thanks for the advice & stories!

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,286 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

This is an excellent article by the late, great Jean Leinhauser:

How to Read a Crochet Pattern
http://www.craftyarn...ip_crochet.html

#7 rebbylicious

rebbylicious
  • Villager
  • 128 posts

• Joined 01-May 12

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

acrafty- I am a lefty too, I learned how to crochet with my right hand though. ;) lol

I know some people don't like the idots guide books, but i found the idiots guide to crocheting to be super helpful! It explains all the abbreviations and symbols. ;) you can go to your local library and see if its there.

#8 Bailey4

Bailey4
  • Villager
  • 3,212 posts

• Joined 22-December 10

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Follow your own path. Everyone finds a different way. I was encouraged to do squares and I almost quit crocheting. It works for lots of people, but it almost drove me crazy.

Don't let the language of the patterns intimidate you. Find a good stitch dictionary, use the Internet, etc. You will find a way to work through them. However, find projects that you enjoy and are comfortable doing and you will find you make progress faster.

My Blog: Craft Attic Resources
Proud Bag Lady #87 Lilacs

My Favorite Things Wishlist #4
Book Challenge 2014 #109 2013 #398
2014 WTD +5 YTD -76 2013 YTD +26

Favorite Color Swap 2014, Amigurumi Swap 2014, Magic Ball Swap 2014, Dishcloth Swap 2014, Amigurumi Swap 2013, Dishcloth Swap 2012, Amigurumi Swap 2012, Starts With A Swap 2012, Notion Swap 2012, Holiday Gift Exchange 2011, Favorite Color Swap 2011, Kit Swap 2011

#9 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

I learned many years ago from a grandma who only spoke broken english, no patterns, just what she showed me from memory...Then when I went on to patterns, the stitches didn't have the same names she gave me, and the patterns were old and severely lacking in detailed instructions. Like grandma, they assumed you knew the stitch from memory. Luckily, although I hated it at the time, she had made me practice each stitch for days. Once I was able to associate these stitches with the new names in the pattern books, I could follow them with minimum problems. I know everyone wants to move on to big patterns, make clothes and fancy stuff right away, but as someone else stated, nothing takes the place of practice, and that does take time and dedication.
Everyone learns at their own speed. Relax, don't add pressure onto what ever aprehension you are already experiencing. Learn stitches, abbreviations and symbols for each, one at a time. Make swatches and then when you are comfortable you can move on with ease and comfort. Before you know it, your hands will know what to do without you having to think much about it...Crocheting can be and is very relaxing and fun, just let it happen for you....

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#10 sunnywolfgar

sunnywolfgar
  • Villager
  • 3,404 posts

• Joined 13-July 05

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Everyone learns at their own pace. There is no hurry. so take your time and learn the stitches first for that pattern, when you come across a new stitch , look it up if you don't know. I would recommend the basic. slip st, sc, hdc, dc, trc. But most of all have fun crocheting, do not make it like a chore. enjoy it.

sunnywolfgar akaTerry Devine crochetier for 48 yrs and counting.....

GETTING READY TO DO: PK DOILIES

BACK BURNER: WILD OATS DOILY from MC.

Back Burner: PINEAPPLE DELIGHT , SWIRL DOILY.

BACKBURNER: 8 POINT TABLECENTER DOILY from 1936 Pattern.

DONE: STARSHINE DOILY--GREEN for MARCH THEME.
http://www.ravelry.com/people/sunnywolfgar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/

http://www.ebay.com/...oundstea&_sop=1