• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ArtMama

ArtMama

• Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm still practicing SC & working on tension. I'm now fairly use to doing sc on a chain. I seen the video on Foundation sc without a chain & thought I'd try it. I'm having probs.

I'm wondering which way is more common or what people prefer?

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan

• Villager
  • 9,034 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think this is the best tutorial on foundation sc http://snuffykin.liv....com/43642.html
The article she refers to by M MIller is how i learned the stitch, and it has just been reprinted in the book Best of Interweave Crochet, and i would highly recommend seeking out the book via your local library.

Fsc (and fdc etc) are very handy stitches to know. I think most patterns still start with a chain. I use either method depending on my mood :blush and what will work best in the pattern.
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro

• Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have always used a chain. Fsc were reserved for adding width to a piece, mostly Filet crochet doilies that were shaped and not just square, like this http://www.etsy.com/...aster-set-filet
and one piece sweaters/tops to shape sleeves. The shape is a plus sign similar to the diagram for this sweater. http://kpup.tripod.c...l/untitled.html
There are other uses, but personally I stick to the tried and true old fashioned way of chain to start.

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

• Villager
  • 14,903 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

I do a lot of sc work and I like to begin with a separate starting ch.

If you crochet tightly, that may be part of your problem. A sc piece will curl a bit at the beginning, but if it's too tight, it will become unforgivingly tight to the point where it can't be used.

You probably have to go to a bigger hook, loosen up just a bit, and practice nice, smooth, even rows.

Remember to ch 1 when turning at the end of each row, and place the 1st st of the next row in the last st of the prev row. Sometimes it's hard to see where to put this 1st st because it's right under your hook. Lift your hook a little and you see it better. A lot of people work into the next st over, but if you are going into the 2nd st, your cloth can be shortening or curling.

#5 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro

• Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

I do a lot of sc work and I like to begin with a separate starting ch. A lot of people work into the next st over, but if you are going into the 2nd st, your cloth can be shortening or curling.

I am one of those 2nd stitch folks, :lol. But I do a ch 2 turning (like grandma taught me). When going back, the last stitch is worked into the top chain and then chain 2 to turn. I like the edge it creates on things I don't want to border...:hook

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#6 ArtMama

ArtMama

• Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the help folks!

#7 ArtMama

ArtMama

• Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Yay! I finally "got" the chainless foundation sc!

#8 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan

• Villager
  • 9,034 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yay! I finally "got" the chainless foundation sc!

Good for you:hook
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078