• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grammie Essa

Grammie Essa

• Villager
  • 320 posts

• Joined 14-January 07

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

I teach crochet. I was wondering if there is already a section for beginners. I would like to tell the people I teach that crochetville has a section devoted to beginner crocheters. Such as "beginner crochet support group," strictly for beginners to ask questions. And ask members who have experience to help out with answers to questions.I know that there is already tons of support here because I have found it myself over the years. I love this site! But to the new crocheter it could be a bit intimidating.just wondering if there is a better way to bring in the beginners. There is lots of info for us experienced folks, and always lots of support when s new person has a question. But how does the new person find all thid info without having to read thru all the messages. I myself love to look thru all the sections but I am weird like that. Most people want immediate gratification and may not feel they can get help here when really there is a bounty of help.

#2 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,525 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

We don't really have a specific area for this, but I agree it's an excellent idea. Would any of our members like to help us create such an area?

Here's how you can help:

• Suggest topics for us to cover in such an area.

• Volunteer to write something for one of the suggested topics. Post your contribution in this thread. I'll move contributions out into their own threads in a new area as soon as we accumulate enough information.

Amy Shelton
Crochetville Co-Owner and Community Manager

Facebook Page | Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Twitter | Pinterest

#3 Nira

Nira

• Villager
  • 2,244 posts

• Joined 18-April 11

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Here are just a few ideas; stitch guide, pattern reading, tension issues, yarn buying tips, gauge and swatch info (importance of). Brain is acting a little fuzzy today but I bet others can come up with plenty more. :)
Amanda
Friendship-ghan - (12" WW any color)
*18 Squares received so far - Thanks!

Friendship-ghan CAL
www.flickr.com/photos/niralin
NiraLin on Ravelry

#4 Grammie Essa

Grammie Essa

• Villager
  • 320 posts

• Joined 14-January 07

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

How do you hold your crochet hook? How do you hold your yarn? What are some easy rhymes or sayings you have used or invented to remember what to do when you make a single crochet stitch, a double crochet stitch,etc. Example: for a single crochet stitch, go thru, yarn over, come back thru, yarn over, go thru two. Personal accounts of how you learned to read patterns and make sense of all that garble.a keep it simple, simpler,simplest! I think there will be lots of us experienced ones who would love to pick out some area they feel they are exceptional at! I already have a list of websites I would like to share. And maybe for all the teachers who teach crochet, we could direct our students to the beginner section of crochetville to check out all the great info, before you know it, crochetville will be bigger than Facebook! It might even help us teachers to organize our info better.and to start compiling the info. Maybe even a section for teachers. A what did your student teach you today about how to teach better. Or how to explain it easier. I know I tend to make things harder than it needs to be,then a student points out an easier way to say or do the same thing then you have an "aha" moment! Thanks Amy and others! I love this place!

Edited by Grammie Essa, 01 May 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Villager
  • 15,368 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

I think that a Beginners CAL could be helpful. Maybe 'sticky' it to the top of the section once it's created. Something like 'there's tons of info in the CAL (I can see it becoming huge) but feel free to ask your questions anyway. (Or something like that)

I can think of several threads off the time of my head that are devoted to beginners. I just can't think of what they're titled at the moment.

#6 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee

• Villager
  • 9,034 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Suggest topics for us to cover in such an area.

• How to choose yarn for a project
  • How to choose colors
  • What hook is best for what yarn
  • What are are sizes
  • How do I figure how much yarn I need
  • How do I figure how long to make a chain
  • How do I change sizes from small to large or large to small
  • What is filet and how do I do it
  • How do I read a pattern
  • How do I read a chart
  • How do I read a graph
  • What is a graph and how do I do it
  • What is a swatch and do I need to do it
Just some off the top of my head.

#7 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro

• Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Bravo, great idea. I can't begin to count how many times I have answered the same question within days of each other, because as stated before, there is a lack of interest in going through all the posts in the help areas to see if it has already been asked. I don't mind but I agree it can cut back on the amount of space being used and the frustration some beginners might feel when trying to find their way around the Ville.
A couple of topics I think could be added is

How and when to block
Basic stitches (perhaps ville's links to these videos)
Hook and yarn size info and differences
Lefties or Righties???
A crochet terminology dictionary of abbreviations and basic terms, not just stitches. ie: ply, density, dk, etc... or a link to where they can find that info.
A chart of US vs UK and other possible measurements/terms from other countries (or link)
A listing (with pics) of the various types of crochet. No patterns, just a pic and a brief description, with perhaps a difficulty value?
And some basic beginner class links???
All the info is out there on the web, or here on the ville, and just needs to be condensed to one area for beginners.
The fun and hard part would be to coordinate all this. All crocheters have different favorite links, sayings, methods, etc...We would need to offer this info without causing more confusion. What we consider everyday common knowledge, is often very foreign to them. :think

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#8 Je-Rel Drood

Je-Rel Drood

• Villager
  • 272 posts

• Joined 19-April 11

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

You could have a 'Top 10 most frequently asked questions' post. Maybe even change the Top Ten every month, if the questions change that frequently.

Also, one thing that ALWAYS caught me up on projects was not making a swatch in the beginning of the project, so that I could adjust my stitch count. For some reason, even if I used the recommended yarn, I would some times need to unravel inches of stitch work when I found my patterns off by inches.