• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ArtMama

ArtMama
  • Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I've been crocheting for a few day, now. I'll admit, I've been enjoying it maybe too much. I was able to get about 5 hours in today alone. I'd still be going, but my bicept, deltoid a forarm are in pain. Bad pain. I have fibromyalgia & arthritis, but it rarely afects my arms. The fibro affects my arms sometimes, but the arthritis is only in my neck & feet.

I know there are a ton of hook varieties, but i'm hoping other FM sufferers can offer suggestions on what works for them.

I'm also a pencil artist. Sometimes my hand cramps, & my heated drawing board helps me with that...so I may just get a heating pad for my arm.

I really like crocheting a lot. It's emotionally therapeutic, i just need it to be physically painless.

Edited by ArtMama, 28 April 2012 - 05:02 PM.
Yryimg to find typos

#2 DebraKay

DebraKay
  • Villager
  • 2,319 posts

• Joined 23-February 10

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

It may be coming from your neck. Mine does -- it follows a nerve to my left shoulder, down the arm and across the forearm and into my hand. Very painful. This nerve pain caused muscle spasms that pinched other nerves and wound up requiring surgery on my elbow (I had already had surgery on my neck) as the nerve was being mangled by muscle spasms and actually atrophied my hand! I have dented in places where there should be muscle in my hand now, even after the surgery. Doc said that will never come back, so it left me with a very weak hand. I'm telling you this, not to frighten but to warn you -- when it hurts -- listen to your body. STOP for a while and rest it. Also ensure you are not bending your neck for too long a time. That will cause problems that just domino right down your arm! Yours might not be coming from the neck but since you mentioned having neck problems it was my first thought.

My neck problems actually started when I was painting several hours a day. I loved to paint but that is what kept my neck bent to an unnatural degree and started my problems. Since you are also an artist, you may have similar problems.

♥♥♥ The World's My Oyster ~ Full of Pearls & a Little Grit! ♥♥♥
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/fldebra/ ~~ Facebook: http://facebook.com/DebraKayHarscher[/COLOR]

*´¨)

¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ [B]Debra Kay

#3 ArtMama

ArtMama
  • Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, my neck hurts on the left side...& its not the arthritis. My neck pain stems from an acvident I was in at 15. I have degeneratimg disks in my cervival vertebre. I also get trigeminal nerve pain in my face, that starts at the back of my neck.

I do listen to my body, but if I stopped everything I enjoy bevause of pain, then I would never be able to do anything.

I am going to rest my arm, though, i dont want to be miserable.

What kind of hooks do you use?

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,286 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

5 hours is a long time to crochet. The best thing you can do is to take breaks. Maybe even cut down on the time. I've done it straight thru trying to get stuff done but you end up paying for it.

There's a lot of choices out there for hooks with bigger handles.
- I LOVE the Bates Bamboo handled crochet hooks.
- the light up hooks are Boye style
- Clover soft is Boye and has a nice grip
- then you have the whole world of handmade wood hooks. Jimbo is my favorite hook maker. He will do custom work is you email him and ask http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/

#5 ArtMama

ArtMama
  • Villager
  • 140 posts

• Joined 25-April 12

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I took breaks, but it was still my main focus of the day.

I saw,Jimbo's hooks. Very beautiful!

#6 Bubbe

Bubbe
  • Villager
  • 491 posts

• Joined 14-February 12

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

I was doing too much and getting really bad hand cramps. I had to ease off and adjust my tension. It really is hard to stop when you get on a roll. :)
~Facebook~
Friendship Squares - 8" WW any (except all black)
* Wish List *

#7 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,770 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I used a normal boye hook the other day. My right hand was NOT happy. I don't have fibro or arthritis..at least I don't THINK I have arthritis. I did a severe injury to my right wrist a few years ago so there are some issues. My favorite hooks to use are the soft touch by clover. I do hold my hook with a kind of pencil hold. I think others do a knife hold and I think the bamboo handles may help more for that kind of hold.

5 hours is a good stretch though!

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 02/25/14 YTD: -.11

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#8 curlysue

curlysue
  • Villager
  • 453 posts

• Joined 10-August 09

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

I have osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel and undiagnosed muscle issues. As emotionally therapeutic as crochet is for me, a two hour session is about all I can manage. That is with breaks. I use my regular hooks, but sometimes use a cushion on a steel hook. One thing I notice is that I have to build up my time again after long periods of not crocheting. If I'm having pain or weakness in arm muscles, sometimes a sofa pillow propping the arm helps.

I also try not to get into deadline situations in making items for others. That kind of stress is counter productive for me.

#9 sarisue

sarisue
  • Villager
  • 1,277 posts

• Joined 20-January 07

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

About six yrs ago I started geting right arm and shoulder pain so bad I started using my left hand for everthing but crochet. The doc said arthritus but it wasn't. After not using it for a long time I started loseing muscle in my shoulder, now I have to use it within limits and do arm exercises everyday to build it back up and keep the muscle. I fineally figured it out that the pain started when I would work for days at a time, to get things ready for the fair as I always waited to long to decide. Now I know my limits and try to accomadate them.

#10 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,286 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Just another thought- these are muscles that aren't used to being used in such a way. Just like any other 'sport' it takes time for your body to get used to moving in such a way for prolonged periods of time.

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,426 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have severe fibro too, so I know you have to get up and move every little while. I hate to do it when I'm crocheting along nice and smoothly, but it's really necessary or I end up paying for it later. Also I now make sure I support my arms, because unsupported arms can also bring on the neck or shoulder pain. It's amazing how much arms weigh.