Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

1945 Shoulderette

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sanoma

sanoma
  • Villager
  • 4 posts

• Joined 16-November 09

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone tried the following pattern?
http://www.free-croc...C01214&cat_id=1

One of the pattern stitches calls for a 1/2 knot stitch. I can't find this stitch anywhere online. I see different knot stitches, but not "1/2 knot stitch". I'm wondering if I just following directions for any normal knot stitch? or is this one different. The directions to make this stitch are a little confusing to me. The picture seems a little misleading too. Do you think this shawl has a lacy look to it? I've attempted to start this pattern and it seems a bit more lacy look than what is pictured. I've been asked to make two of these shawls for girls that sing in the Scrooge play every year. I hope I can get this right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sarah

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,867 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

The patern tells how to make he stitch, At the beginning under pattern stiches. It is one "leg" of solomons or lovers knot. Were you loking for a visual reference on how to make it?

The clearest instructions i can think of are in the Harmony Guides to Crochet.

It is a very open stitch, i don't think it would look much like that photo.
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,867 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Good explanation video here http://www.nexstitch...omons_knot.html

Holding the back thread is essential.
--Kathy
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#4 sanoma

sanoma
  • Villager
  • 4 posts

• Joined 16-November 09

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I saw the solomon knot stitch and started working the shoulderette with that. The visual helped a lot. Wasn't sure that was the same as the 1/2 knot stitch. Thanks again. You're a lifesaver.

#5 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,867 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

You're welcome:)
--Kathy

#6 ibcsk

ibcsk
  • Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 06-October 14

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

I'm making this - although used a simple v stitch for the body as I wanted something a little lighter - but I have found this to be a less than great pattern.    It leaves several things as guesswork.    For instance the overall dimensions of the body would have been very helpful.   I know you can calculate it based on gauge information but that leaves a wide margin for error in doing bad math.

The cuff instructions are particularly confusing.    At what point "in the side edge of border" do you attach the yarn?   The corner I'm guessing but could they mean to leave a length at the ends?   Idk.

Then it says "rep across, ending with 5 sc evenly sp across opposite edge of border"   What?   Are you saying to turn it over?   Are you just trying to say to do the same on the other end of the shrug?  If that's it, why does it go from that statement directly to the Row 2-7 instructions?    Normally, you are told to do something completely to that particular spot and then repeat it all somewhere else.   So now I'm afraid I'm missing something.

And then it ends with "Sew cuff seam"    Huh?  What cuff seam?   Where?  What part of this rectangle do I sew together??  

Lol..... I'm so confused.

#7 FlossiePotts

FlossiePotts
  • Villager
  • 128 posts

• Joined 02-November 12

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

Old patterns  nearly always  have scant instructions.

#8 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,551 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:56 PM

This is just a basic rectangular shrug.  The seam is made by folding in half (bring the long sides together), the seam is sewn from the cuff to however high up the arm (toward the center of the rectangle) you want it to be. 

It looks like there are 2 different borders - the first set made on the long sides at the top and bottom, the other made on each of the short ends (cuffs), 

Granny Square

#9 ibcsk

ibcsk
  • Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 06-October 14

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

Ahh.    I see, you are making a small sleeve not just a cuff.    That makes much more sense, at least the way I visualized it.    I better stick with baby blankets........

#10 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,551 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

Hang in there.  When I was first starting out, I was given a bunch of vintage doily books.  They didn't have a difficulty level, and, hey, teenagers are invincible and can do anything--it never occurred to me that they might be beyond my beginner level.  I learned a LOT by sticking with it and figuring things out on my own.

You can do this...

Granny Square