• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Just made my first Ami that I designed. It looked great until I stuffed the black yarn and got to notice the little white fuzzies poking out. I thought wouldn't it be nice if someone thought of creating stuffing in color?
Since Amis are so popular right now, why doesn't one of the manufacturing companies do that? Or maybe they have and I just don't know it???
What do you think?

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,418 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

For the one ami i have made, i stuffed it with the same yarn. It was rhss so not much more expensive than stuffing. It was a small bird, don't know if a larger one would work differently with yarn.
--Kathy
I'm Kaycrochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together at the Fulton MO public library Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 texas sunflower

texas sunflower
  • Villager
  • 701 posts

• Joined 31-May 11

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

That happened to me once, I made a black cat.
I ended up cutting up an old black t shirt into small strips and stuffing the cat with that. It didnt show! :)

I like the idea of using the same yarn!! that is genius!!! :)

#4 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I probably should have used a smaller hook, but it was so hard to see the stitches as it was with the black yarn. Plus using a high loft stuffing might have been a mistake too!!! It kept wanting to pop out of the opening while I was stuffing the ami....:lol...

Carol

Baby throws

#5 spiritwalker

spiritwalker
  • Villager
  • 1,032 posts

• Joined 25-September 11

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

You could try using an old pair of pantyhose. Place stuffing in it and cut to size and place inside of toy.

Mary
"We are not here to do great things,but to do small
things with great love" Mother Teresa

#6 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

You could try using an old pair of pantyhose. Place stuffing in it and cut to size and place inside of toy.

oh, great idea!! and I could have used a black pair too!!! I luv having such smart folks to chat with!!!:)

Carol

Baby throws

#7 #1Crochetfan

#1Crochetfan
  • Villager
  • 1,550 posts

• Joined 21-August 05

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

Wool roving or fiber come in all colors for needle felting and can also be used as stuffing.

-------------------------------------

"If you can dream it, you can do it" -Walt Disney

"WIPS are like potato chips, you can never have just one."

proud recipient of Turtles June 2011 TLC Tote

proud recipient of Crochetville January 2014 Tote #94-Arctic Ice

#8 annmcc1976

annmcc1976
  • Villager
  • 3,243 posts

• Joined 29-August 09

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

yea I try to save all my yarn clippings, and use it as stuffing.. will sure save me on polly-fill
MY UPDATED WISHLIST (click here) Friendship square UPDATE on new board
~ Nov 2009"Shawl Lady" / up & away Ami Ownr!/ pink beaded mesh bag winner
TLC Tote owner :)
-MY ETSY

#9 mattenylou

mattenylou
  • Villager
  • 1,043 posts

• Joined 04-August 08

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Yikes! Be careful what you wish for, lol!

My first projects in the late 50's and 60's were filled with colorful stuffing.... it was a horrid mixture of stuff- shredded foam of all colors, tiny scraps of fabric, odds and ends of yarn and threads...and the static in it made it stick to everything nearby, yikes! needless to say we collected nylons from the neighborhood ladies to stuff our 4-H projects, much nicer!

The nearest thing I've seen in recent years comparing that stuffing is when Hubby runs over one of the dog's stuffed toys in the yard with the lawn mower, looks to be about the same thing as that old stuffing was.... anyone else remember it?
Keep Smilin'....

#10 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Yikes! Be careful what you wish for, lol!

My first projects in the late 50's and 60's were filled with colorful stuffing.... it was a horrid mixture of stuff- shredded foam of all colors, tiny scraps of fabric, odds and ends of yarn and threads...and the static in it made it stick to everything nearby, yikes! needless to say we collected nylons from the neighborhood ladies to stuff our 4-H projects, much nicer!

The nearest thing I've seen in recent years comparing that stuffing is when Hubby runs over one of the dog's stuffed toys in the yard with the lawn mower, looks to be about the same thing as that old stuffing was.... anyone else remember it?

As a vintage doll collector, I am familiar with Kapok. It is the fiber from a seed pod of the Kapok tree. All older stuffed animals and dolls were filled with it. Unfortunately alot of the lint, thread and other unknown particles wound up in with it, which is why it looks so multi colored and dust like.
Good Kapok is usually a silk/cotton blend with the true yellowish fibers from the tree. Kapok was used because it was (and is) a natural repellent to bugs and bacterial invasion. The trees never needed to be treated with insect repellents. Before modern regulation on stuffing, alot of the more unscrupulous sweat shops from years ago swept their floor to collect the stray fibers and all that went with it would wind up in the Kapok bins.
It is still available for stuffing (but it does tend to have alot of static electricity) and every thing tends to wind up with it no matter how hard you try to control it.:hook

Edited by HappyOldCro, 28 April 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Carol

Baby throws

#11 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Wool roving or fiber come in all colors for needle felting and can also be used as stuffing.

Very good idea, thank you. I should have thought of that from my felting days...;)

Carol

Baby throws

#12 CLLinda

CLLinda
  • Villager
  • 7,652 posts

• Joined 10-September 05

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

I like the idea of stuffing with pantyhose. This way, there is nothing to be poking out through the holes.

Also, Be sure to use a smaller hook than the yarn recommends when making the little guys. This way, there is less chance for your stuffing to poke out.

:manyheart

Stashbusting score for 2014.  WTD= +5 YTD= +70.  Bonze medal winner 1/5/14, Silver medal winner 1/26/14, 3/30/14! Gold medal winner for February YTD and Silver Medal winner for March YTD!   Linda W.* 1 year Breast Cancer Survivor!!!
A special place in my heart goes to www.carewear.org Bag lady #72! Thanks, Tampa Doll!
Stashbuster 2008 *257 Bronze Medal* 2009 Stashbusting final score YTD=+19! 2011 Final Stashbusting score -19! Stashbusting scores for 2012 final score+36! Opted out in October. Pray for our kids to keep them safe. RIP Dad, 8/31/08. RIP Davy Jones 2/29/12   :manyheart

#13 smokeyp81

smokeyp81
  • Villager
  • 3,095 posts

• Joined 30-September 05

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

At Halloween time, there is a product that is just like the white fiber fill but in black. It is sold as cobweb. I bought a package at Joann's just to try it. I had a skelleton I had made in black and wasn't happy with the white fiber showing through. It worked perfectly. After Halloween, I bought several bags of it on clearance!

<p>Heather2014 Book Challenge:13/50

Book Challenge: 2011-30/50 2012-35/50 2013-20/50

Bag Lady #67 Jack-O-Lantern - October 2011

#14 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal
  • Villager
  • 380 posts

• Joined 13-December 10

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

At Halloween time, there is a product that is just like the white fiber fill but in black. It is sold as cobweb. I bought a package at Joann's just to try it. I had a skelleton I had made in black and wasn't happy with the white fiber showing through. It worked perfectly. After Halloween, I bought several bags of it on clearance!

That is actually pretty clever! They have it in green, orange and purple too. Can't be that expensive for small to medium projects.

Crocheting isn't my hobby.......it is my obsession!

Friendship squares needed to finish--- 3 - 12 inch squares and 11 - 6 inch squares. SO CLOSE!

#15 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

That is actually pretty clever! They have it in green, orange and purple too. Can't be that expensive for small to medium projects.

Any clue as to where it can be found/bought??? What do they call it???
Thanks for the info....:hook

Carol

Baby throws