• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Laballa1

Laballa1

• Villager
  • 4 posts

• Joined 17-August 10

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I want to crochet my granddaughter some caps she can wear this summer. She's currently undergoing Chemo and hasn't lost her hair yet. I'm looking for a pattern for a cap that will have open stitches or not so winter looking. I want to use 100% cotton yarn, or I'm open for suggetions on yarn type for warm weather or indoor use. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, she's 5 years old, just to give an idea of size.

Thanks,
B

#2 webfeet

webfeet

• Villager
  • 312 posts

• Joined 06-March 09

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

This site has some child-size hats. Scroll down.
http://www.headhugge...ns/patterns.htm
Some cute hats here, also size 4/5 girl's clothes .
http://www.christina...shinehaven.com/ Click Crochet/Free Patterns/Hats

#3 Momcrochets

Momcrochets

• Villager
  • 5,971 posts

• Joined 09-September 06

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

bevscountrycottage has several patterns that might work for you (she sorts her links by knit, crochet, and sew...K, C, S behind the pattern hyperlink)
also, this hat is really cute, and would be adaptable to a 5yo (you stop increasing one round sooner.
this one could go for a 5yo, if you added one extra round of increases.

You're right, Cotton is probably best for summer hats...or other plant fibers (linen, bamboo)...they'll breath easier. even soft acrylics get itchy when you perspire. And there are lots of cotton and cotton blends out there beyond the "sugar and cream" varieties, so have fun! I'm sure the hats you make will be darling.

It might be tricky to fit her at first, but one way to get a quick and easy estimate of fit, is to measure the diameter of the top of the hat after your rounds of increases and multiply by 3 (3.14 to be technical) but a quick mental "times 3" should get you quite close...compare that with the measurement of your 5yo's head, and you'll be able to see the fit. (so if you've made the top of the hat, and it measures 5" across, it would be about 15" around...time to make another increase round or so) also I think there are charts...Yes! here they are that should help you too, I hope.
a great resource, if you haven't been there already, is crochetpatterncentral.com.
Hope this helps,
and prayers for health for your darling grand-daughter.

Edited by Momcrochets, 17 April 2012 - 06:42 AM.

Isaiah 40:11

#4 Laballa1

Laballa1

• Villager
  • 4 posts

• Joined 17-August 10

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions. I didn't know Bamboo is another good option. I will be making several from both suggested links. I'm sure my granddaughter will really like them.

Momcrochets I'll be starting with the first suggestion you made. It's really cute. Thanks for the additional help as I am sort of new at making hats.

I also appreciate your prayers for my grand-daughter. She's my heart. She beat Lymphona a year and a half ago. Now she's battling Leukemia. With God's help, she'll beat this too.

Thanks again.

#5 Momcrochets

Momcrochets

• Villager
  • 5,971 posts

• Joined 09-September 06

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

poor darling! what a rough life she's had! I'm sure she will enjoy the hats you make for her. Such heartbreak, seeing a little one struggle so much. and such comfort knowing that God is with her, holding her the whole way (Is 45:11). :hug

Isaiah 40:11