• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FizzlePop40

FizzlePop40
  • Villager
  • 187 posts

• Joined 20-March 12

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Okay, so my friend and I each bought an iPod Touch and she was wondering if I could crochet her a case for it. Not just a holder, a case with an opening so she could see the screen. Do you know what I mean? So, I was searching for a pattern because I'm not sure how I'd be able to do that without a pattern but the only ones that I could find were patterns for a pocket-type holder with no opening. If I can't find any, I could probably try make up a case myself, but I don't think it'd turn out all that good because I haven't made anything like that. Oh, the iPod is a 4th generation, so it'd need a small opening on the back for the camera.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a pattern for just a basic case. I'm going to embroider a sheep on the back. :) I might make one for myself if I like it.

Thanks!
Fizzie

#2 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I found alot with open screen, but haven't seen 4th Gen. yet.
This one is right here on the ville:
http://www.crochetvi...ead.php?t=74751

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#3 jujee

jujee
  • Villager
  • 36 posts

• Joined 28-March 12

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

I found alot with open screen, but haven't seen 4th Gen. yet.
This one is right here on the ville:
http://www.crochetvi...ead.php?t=74751

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I noticed that the title of the post in the link said iPod nano, so it probably wont work for an iPod touch. This is a great idea though!
Judith
Wife, Mother, Surrogate.

#4 chrissyf

chrissyf
  • Villager
  • 2,287 posts

• Joined 30-December 06

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

i checked out my daughter's ipod touch 4th gen and it really is not made for a cloth cast...first it would need to have an open bottom to accommodate the usb cord and headphone jack there really is not enough unused bottom to make it very safe. then you need to be very exact with the camera opening if it stretched or shifted even a bit the camera would be covered . a yarn cover would muffle the speakers andmake finding volume and on/off buttons very tricky this is my daughter's second ipod touch and even though a handmade one would be a great cost saver and a nice gift it is really not safe for it to not have a hard case from the manufacturer...maybe think about getting hard cases for everyday use and making the sleeves for travel and storage. a handmade case will not keep the screen from cracking. just a thought from the mom of an ipod touch user..also she says that there is no way she would use one...too much risk for such an expensive electronic item.

Chrissy
please feel free to pin my photos on pintrest!

Proud Mom of a US Army Soldier

#5 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee
  • Villager
  • 8,988 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Here's one:

http://www.ravelry.c...touch-flip-cozy

#6 FizzlePop40

FizzlePop40
  • Villager
  • 187 posts

• Joined 20-March 12

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

i checked out my daughter's ipod touch 4th gen and it really is not made for a cloth cast...first it would need to have an open bottom to accommodate the usb cord and headphone jack there really is not enough unused bottom to make it very safe. then you need to be very exact with the camera opening if it stretched or shifted even a bit the camera would be covered . a yarn cover would muffle the speakers andmake finding volume and on/off buttons very tricky this is my daughter's second ipod touch and even though a handmade one would be a great cost saver and a nice gift it is really not safe for it to not have a hard case from the manufacturer...maybe think about getting hard cases for everyday use and making the sleeves for travel and storage. a handmade case will not keep the screen from cracking. just a thought from the mom of an ipod touch user..also she says that there is no way she would use one...too much risk for such an expensive electronic item.

Well, we already each have some hard cases and also a few silicone ones. I think if I made the stitches really tight with a really small hook like a size 2mm or smaller it's be stiff enough to use as a case. I guess I'll just have to try make one and see if it'd be good for a case. I'm also going to try to make openings for the buttons so they won't be so hard to find. Thanks for all that important info! It helps a lot. :)

And to everyone else, thanks for all your info and suggestions also. That's one of the things I love about this site. Everyone's so helpful. :D
Fizzie

#7 CrochetKitten

CrochetKitten
  • Villager
  • 596 posts

• Joined 24-March 07

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

My iPhone cozy might work for it. It has an opening for the back camera and all the cords. http://crochetkitten...e-cozy.html?m=1
For patterns, tutorials, and shopping guides, come to CrochetKitten.com or like our Facebook fanpage!
Follow my cat (Selena K) on Twitter @CrochetKitten.
Get cute crochet gear at Crochet Kitten Cafe!

#8 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I noticed that the title of the post in the link said iPod nano, so it probably wont work for an iPod touch. This is a great idea though!

:lol It's OK, I don't own an iPod, have no clue about nano or touch, Just thought it might be something that could be tweaked to work for the one that was needed. Once electronics went past Windows 98, I was lost and all the new gadgets are foreign to me. Took me forever to figure out XP and my digital camera, :D.

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#9 FizzlePop40

FizzlePop40
  • Villager
  • 187 posts

• Joined 20-March 12

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

CrochetKitten, I think that'll work perfect!! Thanks!! :D
Fizzie

#10 FizzlePop40

FizzlePop40
  • Villager
  • 187 posts

• Joined 20-March 12

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

My iPhone cozy might work for it. It has an opening for the back camera and all the cords. http://crochetkitten...e-cozy.html?m=1

You don't mind if I print it, do you?
Fizzie

#11 CrochetKitten

CrochetKitten
  • Villager
  • 596 posts

• Joined 24-March 07

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

Of course not. :)
For patterns, tutorials, and shopping guides, come to CrochetKitten.com or like our Facebook fanpage!
Follow my cat (Selena K) on Twitter @CrochetKitten.
Get cute crochet gear at Crochet Kitten Cafe!

#12 FizzlePop40

FizzlePop40
  • Villager
  • 187 posts

• Joined 20-March 12

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Great! Thanks. I'll post some pictures when it's done!
Fizzie

#13 Umhtas

Umhtas
  • Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 28-December 12

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

i checked out my daughter's ipod touch 4th gen and it really is not made for a cloth cast...first it would need to have an open bottom to accommodate the usb cord and headphone jack there really is not enough unused bottom to make it very safe. then you need to be very exact with the camera opening if it stretched or shifted even a bit the camera would be covered . a yarn cover would muffle the buy speakers and make finding volume and on/off buttons very tricky this is my daughter's second ipod touch and even though a handmade one would be a great cost saver and a nice gift it is really not safe for it to not have a hard case from the manufacturer...maybe think about getting hard cases for everyday use and making the sleeves for travel and storage. a handmade case will not keep the screen from cracking. just a thought from the mom of an ipod touch user..also she says that there is no way she would use one...too much risk for such an expensive electronic item.

hello have you gained any information regarding best site to purchase good ipod accessories? I need case and headphone..

Edited by Umhtas, 25 March 2013 - 09:52 PM.