Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

how good is red heart brand yarn:think

#2 Sylviaf

Sylviaf
  • Villager
  • 2,220 posts

• Joined 11-April 06

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

It depends. I really hate Supersaver, but Red Heart Soft is very nice. I have been having fun making lacy scarves from Sashay, too.
-- Sylvia

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,540 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

You really have to go feel it before you buy ~ some it soft and nice, some is scratchy.

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,315 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

It depends on what you're using it to make. If it's a child's blanket then it's great! The colors stay true, it wears like iron and can hold up to the beating it'll take as a favorite blankie.

If you're using it for a sweater you can find softer yarns that feel better against the skin.

All in all it's a very good yarn and it's stood the test of time. It's scratchy but a lot of that washes out.

#5 Nira

Nira
  • Villager
  • 2,244 posts

• Joined 18-April 11

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

It depends on what you're using it to make. If it's a child's blanket then it's great! The colors stay true, it wears like iron and can hold up to the beating it'll take as a favorite blankie.

If you're using it for a sweater you can find softer yarns that feel better against the skin.

All in all it's a very good yarn and it's stood the test of time. It's scratchy but a lot of that washes out.

That is exactly how I feel about it too!
Amanda
Friendship-ghan - (12" WW any color)
*18 Squares received so far - Thanks!

Friendship-ghan CAL
www.flickr.com/photos/niralin
NiraLin on Ravelry

#6 dragonlord

dragonlord
  • Villager
  • 102 posts

• Joined 08-March 12

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

thanks!:U:U:U

#7 katyallen8090

katyallen8090
  • Villager
  • 8,185 posts

• Joined 30-July 10

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Again, trial and error, maybe try a skein, crochet a swatch, and find out if you like it. It washes well, and wears well.

Do stop in soon, to join us! Granny Friendship/Comfort ghan Cal click on link

for info on joining and list of members, and preferences. 

my free square patterns here and here.......and here

My friendship ghan here! Thanks to all!

Baglady #91

My Photopages

#8 purples

purples
  • Villager
  • 504 posts

• Joined 20-April 12

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

It is primarily the brand I use, unless I need cotton or a novelty yarn. Personally, I've learned how to make it work for me. Stitch, pattern choice, and hook size can make the yarn soft as lace or stiff like canvas. Love its versatility!

#9 losingmymind2

losingmymind2
  • Villager
  • 7,635 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I agree with RoseRed. It is great for charity afghans, childrens toys and afghans, and anything that will get washed frequently. I personally use it often because it's mainly what is available locally, but I love Bernat when I can get it.
Kathy
HELP! I'm drowning in yarn; but what a way to go!...send in HOOKS!
Wish List Group 6 updated 5/11

#10 CrazyHomemaker

CrazyHomemaker
  • Villager
  • 482 posts

• Joined 13-April 11

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

I agree with RoseRed, too. However, I just bought some pretty nasty Red Heart at Wal Mart. It must've been a bad run because the twist of the yarn is pretty loose and there seems to be a thread removed making it thinner. Otherwise, Red Heart is great for high-usage afghans. I make dish cloths with it because they bubble up the soap really well and are good scrubbers. You can bleach it and the color stays.
Working on hats for the homeless.
Next projects - one afghan for me, another shawl or two for fair projects.

grandaughter's afghan - done! grandson's afghan - done! Woo Hoo! Shawl for me - done!

WIPs: hubby's afghan
Finished projects displayed here:
www.waxlers.blogspot.com

#11 LaceAngel

LaceAngel
  • Villager
  • 163 posts

• Joined 10-May 09

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

I personally have two afghans that are over 25 years old, each made with Red Heart Super Saver Yarns. They have "held up" very nicely. Machine washed and dried, with plenty of softner. Wonderful! Here is a pic of one of them..........

Attached Thumbnails

• RedRose_afghan.jpg

#12 Mom w/a Motif

Mom w/a Motif
  • Villager
  • 7,247 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

I agree with what RoseRed said, too. I also wanted to add that IMO it doesn't work well for socks (I just made some with it, and I don't like them..) But for slippers it works great. (It's about the only yarn I can get in this town, except what little our "LYS" has.)

ETA: Beautiful afghan, LaceAngel!

#13 teapot

teapot
  • Villager
  • 1,824 posts

• Joined 31-December 05

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

I personally have two afghans that are over 25 years old, each made with Red Heart Super Saver Yarns. They have "held up" very nicely. Machine washed and dried, with plenty of softner. Wonderful! Here is a pic of one of them..........

which afghan is this? I was going to ask if it was the charlston?
Teapot

#14 sunnywolfgar

sunnywolfgar
  • Villager
  • 3,415 posts

• Joined 13-July 05

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

My son and his wife have the afghan I made for the couch I crocheted and used Red heart Yarns - when I was pregante with him , he is 31 years old now. Holding up well and been thru washings. I use all kinds of yarn, depending on what the project is and importantlly the color. Yes, I love Red Heart yarn, but I do not care for baby clouds yarns that much.

sunnywolfgar akaTerry Devine crochetier for 48 yrs and counting.....

Doing now: PK  99 LITTLE DOILIES

Crocheting now:  WILD OATS DOILY from MC.

Back Burner: PINEAPPLE DELIGHT , SWIRL DOILY.

BACKBURNER: 8 POINT TABLECENTER DOILY from 1936 Pattern.

DONE: Pk #10 of 99 Little Doilys.
http://www.ravelry.com/people/sunnywolfgar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/

#15 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,571 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

It seems like a lot of the replies are talking about Red Heart Super Saver, the wears like iron scratchy til it softens up yarn. Red Heart makes many other yarns, which aren't really comparable to RHSS. To name a few that i have used: Creme de la Creme is a light worsted cotton that is great for washcloths. Designer Sport is an acrylic that has a pretty color range. And Red Heart makes the Aunt Lydia's range of cotton and bamboo threads.
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#16 HappyOldCro

HappyOldCro
  • Villager
  • 5,649 posts

• Joined 13-August 07

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

One of the best for long wear at a low price. I personally am not fond of Super Saver, but have used the Classic, Sport and Creme de la Creme and love it. Each Brand of Yarn will have some you like and some you don't. All personal preference.

Carol

Delighted owner of CV Bag #73 April 2012 SILVER LINING

BE EXTRA KIND TO EVERYONE, WE ARE ALL FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE!!

Click here for: Poems for hand made gifts
Asstd. charity projects (ongoing)
Baby throws

#17 LaceAngel

LaceAngel
  • Villager
  • 163 posts

• Joined 10-May 09

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

which afghan is this? I was going to ask if it was the charlston?

No, it's not the charlston, but close. It's a type of closed granny sq with a layered rose with leaves surrounding the rose. I've lost the pattern in my "many moves", but I'm pretty positive that it was in a Family Circle or Women's Day many, many years ago. I'm in the process of "reverse engineering" that very afghan so I can make somemore. LOL

#18 crochetbug13

crochetbug13
  • Villager
  • 1,163 posts

• Joined 04-November 10

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

I am pretty much a Red Heart evangelist. I love their products.

If you want a worsted weight that feels better against the skin (at least in my estimation), the With Love has a pretty good selection of colors, and a very nice feel. The Red Heart is also washable and not at all precious, which, if you are making items for charity, is pretty important.

I find that if you soak the Red Heart Super Saver in a warm water and white vinegar bath (then rinse and roll between towels and let dry), you end up with a lot more drape. I learned this the hard way when I was making something that I did not want to have much drape, but it worked to my advantage with my psychedelic circle jacket (Drops Design pattern) seen here:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000695_medium2.jpg

Oh, what a tangled web we weave!
crochetbug.com

#19 Berit

Berit
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 12-July 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

I'm wondering about the "scratchy" SuperSaver. It seems to me as it is certain colors that has this problem. Some multicolors, black and red cherry to name some. If that is the case it would be easy to avoid those. What is your experience?

#20 Berit

Berit
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 12-July 12

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

No one?