9 replies to this topic

#1 wheat

wheat

• Villager
  • 404 posts

• Joined 16-May 07

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Although the currently popular name is "Knooking" -
KNITTING with a Crochet Hook has been practiced for a long time.

Given its current popularity and that it does seem to draw folks who crochet but would like to try knitting, Amy suggested I post a message here to see if there was sufficient interest.

We also discussed where it might be placed -
Since it is NOT Crochet, rather really is knitting,

So, is this a topic you think needs it own section,
Knit with Crochet Hook(s)

And where would you place it?

If I ruled the universe, and clearly I do not, it would be part of the special Knitting Interest section, but feel free to disagree.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Wheat@YARNandTHREAD.net

Read: Wheat Wrote WHAT !?!?  http://www.WheatCarr.com

Shop: ItsAllJustString http://www.itsalljuststring.com/

Like: Facebook http://www.FaceBook/ItsAllJustString

#2 Gardener

Gardener

• Villager
  • 14,826 posts

• Joined 16-June 06

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

What a coincidence! I just finished watching a couple of knooking videos on the Leisure Arts website. I followed a link from somewhere else. I have not bought the knooking set, but I did give it a try with an improvised tool, and it seems like it might be easier than knitting once you practiced a bit. In my own case, my stitches were horribly uneven and the swatch I made was a mess.

I agree that the knitting section would be an appropriate place for such a board.
Cindy WIPS: 63 squares afghan, Learn to Knit afghan,log cabin afghan, friendship squares afghan, 2 strand afghan for dgs

myblog
2013 book Challenge 136
2014 reading challenge: 91

#3 Bobbie1

Bobbie1

• Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 26-November 11

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

I just purchased a Knook and like it very much. How about a section just for Knook? or...as suggested before, add to Knitting Interest section. Thanks

#4 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,512 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

My concerns with placing knooking as a special interest group for knitters:

1. Not everyone realizes these special interest user groups even exist.

2. Many people new to the technique assume it is a crochet technique because it uses a crochet hook, even though it is actual knitting. Would these people think to hunt it down in the special interest area? Posts in the special interest folders appear only to members of the groups, so posts in that section would never appear in our "New Posts" area to non-members to alert them that the section existed.

So would it be better to have it in the crochet technique area (where everyone will know the section exists) or relatively hidden as a special interest group (where it is technically a better fit)?

Amy Shelton
Crochetville Co-Owner and Community Manager

Facebook Page | Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Twitter | Pinterest

#5 wheat

wheat

• Villager
  • 404 posts

• Joined 16-May 07

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

Dear Amy,

I have been giving this a LOT of thought.

You certainly have a legitimate concern about would it be found if placed in the Knitting SIG area. Which might raise other questions, but that is not the issue under discussion.

So while I really would choose, for the sake of accuracy (education) it "should" be in the Knitting Section and that perhaps the Knitting sections ALSO need to be a bit more obviously (you knew that was coming <G> )

Accepting that there will be a need to repeatedly remind folks that it is not Crochet, but knitting with a crochet hook.... it may well be best to place the topic within the technique area.

It would be my hope that you would call it Knit with a crochet Hook - not knooking since that is really a Fad Name - as are the brand names: Amazing Needle, Magic Needle, and a few others over the last 10ish years.

I am so very glad this is your decision and not mine <G>

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Edited by wheat, 09 February 2012 - 11:06 AM.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Wheat@YARNandTHREAD.net

Read: Wheat Wrote WHAT !?!?  http://www.WheatCarr.com

Shop: ItsAllJustString http://www.itsalljuststring.com/

Like: Facebook http://www.FaceBook/ItsAllJustString

#6 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,512 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

It would be my hope that you would call it Knit with a crochet Hook - not knooking since that is really a Fad Name - as are the brand names: Amazing Needle, Magic Needle, and a few others over the last 10ish years.

Also, now that Leisure Arts is using the word "knook" as a trademark name for their hook, it would be better to avoid the use of that word, so we can avoid any appearance of endorsing one individual product over another one.

So, I agree, if there is enough interest to start a section for it, "Knitting with a Crochet Hook" or something else generic, but I can't imagine anything more descriptive that would work better than that.

Everyone who wants to see a knooking section, get to work creating threads in current appropriate places on the forum. Once there are enough threads demonstrating interest, a new area can be created. Just remember, any threads started in Show-and-Tell would remain in Show-and-Tell, so please start your threads in other areas.

Also, don't just start threads for the sake of starting a thread; make sure there's good information or purpose behind the thread. :) We don't want people to come to a new area thinking they're going to find lots of good information, just to find not much but fluff posts. If that happens, they'll get irritated and frustrated, leave, and not return.

Some suggestions: general information threads, threads about how to do individual stitches (you can even embed YouTube links if you want; PM me for instructions if you need them), links to patterns, resource directory post, links to patterns, and I'm sure you can all come up with other alternatives as well.

Another suggestion: after you create a "knitting with a crochet hook" thread, post a link to it in this thread with a notice of which folder it's in, so I can easily keep track of how many there are, determine when it's time to start the new section, and then easily find and move all the appropriate threads.

Also, if you're interested in the subject and want to see the new section created, but don't have time to start a thread, please post your interest in this thread. That will also help me determine a good time to start the new section.

Amy Shelton
Crochetville Co-Owner and Community Manager

Facebook Page | Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Twitter | Pinterest

#7 LaceAngel

LaceAngel

• Villager
  • 165 posts

• Joined 10-May 09

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

I would be interested. I've purchased the "knook", but haven't found the time to "play" with it yet. One of the gals in my crochet group, just finished a pair of mittens last week, and they really looked neat.

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Villager
  • 15,357 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

I think that the 'Special Crochet and Fiber Techniques' could be renamed to 'Special Techniques' without the crochet and fiber qualifiers. This will leave that section open for other things to be added eventually as well. Each sub-forum is well named and clearly defined.

I understand not wanting to look as if you're endorsing a specific product and that, yes- knook is a product name and a fad-name BUT it's also what a LOT of people know it as. There is no question in their mind as to what 'knooking' is. I feel that the word 'knook' is here to stay as the go-to word for knitting with a crochet hook. Just as Band-aid now means any adhesive bandage that gets placed over a wound or Q-tip for cotton on a stick.

I do think it needs it's own sub-forum. That it'll be big. There are already quite a few posts regarding knooking. I also don't understand the need to have a fleshed out section before it can be opened. The Tunisian forum only has 10 threads in it. There should be at least that many for knooking already.

Edited by RoseRed, 22 March 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#9 FrLopLady

FrLopLady

• Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

I am interested in the technique but don't see much on here and maybe because it gets lost in the shuffle.

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#10 Nira

Nira

• Villager
  • 2,244 posts

• Joined 18-April 11

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm interested where ever you put it :). I got a knook for my bday but haven't had any time to play with it yet.
Amanda
Friendship-ghan - (12" WW any color)
*18 Squares received so far - Thanks!

Friendship-ghan CAL
www.flickr.com/photos/niralin
NiraLin on Ravelry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knit, knook, technique