Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Crochet symbol font: SBFILET.TTF

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kusine

kusine
  • Villager
  • 499 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

Has anyon tried out this font: SBFILET.TTF? You can see it and how it's used here (scroll down).

I have been trying to find a way to easily draw crochet patterns using symbols and the software from New Hampshire Software didn't cut it (and I did fill out the survey to explain why I wouldn't be using it in its current incarnation).

This font looks like it might be more flexible, and thats good for my purposes. But has anyone tried it?

#2 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:16 AM

I haven't tried that program, I am considering asking for this one for my Bday.
http://www.crochetdesigns.com/ But will have to take a closer look at the one you are looking at before I decide which. I want to get some of my designs I have done on graph paper transfered over to a more readable form.
I too have been playing with the symbol crochet program and find it very hard to do anything useful with. They will have to do alot of improvements before I could use it with confidence that my pattern would be viable.Haven't left my comments yet as I want to give it a few more tries before I can frame my thoughts on what it needs to make it useable.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

The Threads to my heart are wrapped around a Hook
CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#3 kusine

kusine
  • Villager
  • 499 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

That looks like an interesting program, but I'm looking for something that will let me make three dimensional objects (i.e., hats and amigurumi). That program doesn't look like it could do that.

With the font, I could combine it with some of my graphics programs so I could write on circles. It'll be clumsy, but better than my current options!

#4 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

Well I just order the program you were looking at. I got the download version so I am good to go. So far I can see all sorts of interesting possiblities. Will have to play with it though. I will let you know what I think as soon as I have a little time with it.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#5 kusine

kusine
  • Villager
  • 499 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

Thank you! I can't wait to hear what you think!

#6 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

Well I played with the font for about 3 hrs the other night and I wasn't all that impressed. I was working way to hard to get what I wanted and even then it wasn't always what I thought it should be.
It took me almost an hour to get two rnds done. And I don't think It would speed up al that much with practice. It was also very difficult to maintain the correct alignment when I started trying to make rnds not rows. There are just to many steps to get things done for me to want to use this on a regular basis. I can use it for other applications so it isn't a total waste for me. If I just wanted to work linear it would probably be great, but like you I want to work more either in the rnd or three dimensional.
I will keep my eyes and ears open for the right program. It has to be out there. Where do all these great patterns come from that are written in symbol crochet. So I firmly believe it is a matter of time before one of us stumbles upon it.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#7 kusine

kusine
  • Villager
  • 499 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for trying it out! What program did you use to help you to write it rounds?

#8 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

I just sent you a pm.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#9 dur30cat

dur30cat
  • Villager
  • 81 posts

• Joined 26-April 05

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:22 AM

Hi Kathy,

Could I know the software you use too?
I find it so much harder to express my patterns in words and any software that could be used to chart out in symbols will make my life so much easier!

Thanking you in advance,
Emy
Knitting and crochet ramblings from Singapore
http://vintagefusion...ts.blogspot.com

#10 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:27 AM

Hi Kathy,

Could I know the software you use too?
I find it so much harder to express my patterns in words and any software that could be used to chart out in symbols will make my life so much easier!

Thanking you in advance,
Emy

http://www.sbcrochet...tsoftware.shtml
It is the third one down.
I wasn't that impressed with it. But you might find it works for you.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#11 hook_and_hype

hook_and_hype
  • Villager
  • 180 posts

• Joined 01-November 05

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:40 AM

Some time ago I was thinking of designing a crochet font for myself. But I gave it up, because I couldn't figure out how to solve the problem for crocheting in rounds (like when you do a flower etc.). Now I'm using a graphic programm for writing symbol crochet. The big advantage is that you can scale and arange your crochet icons in any way you want to. I'm not sure if a font will really work.

I also tested this program a little, but didn't use it in practice.

Greetings
Jomo
Shame on me! My absolute outdated and spam flooded crochet blog: http://www.hook-and-hype.de

#12 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:43 AM

Some time ago I was thinking of designing a crochet font for myself. But I gave it up, because I couldn't figure out how to solve the problem for crocheting in rounds (like when you do a flower etc.). Now I'm using a graphic programm for writing symbol crochet. The big advantage is that you can scale and arange your crochet icons in any way you want to. I'm not sure if a font will really work.

I also tested this program a little, but didn't use it in practice.

Greetings
Jomo

What program are you currently using? I would like to know. If you can design in the round with it I would not just like but LOVE to know.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#13 hook_and_hype

hook_and_hype
  • Villager
  • 180 posts

• Joined 01-November 05

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

@Katchkan
I'm using Freehand (Macromedia) but I think every vector graphic software can be used. Adobe Illustrator for example. Even pixel based graphic programms (like photoshop) will work. You simply have to draw your libary of stitch icons and arrange them as you need. Though, I'm not sure if it will be a great help with designing a pattern. I use it simply to write things down for myself, because I like symbol crochet more than written crochet instructions.

Hope this was of any help.

Greetings
Jomo
Shame on me! My absolute outdated and spam flooded crochet blog: http://www.hook-and-hype.de

#14 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:21 PM

Thanks ever so much,:D I will have to play with that when I can find a little free time. :think I do appreciate you sharing what you do. :yay

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog