• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skatters

skatters

• Villager
  • 565 posts

• Joined 12-September 11

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi everyone! Just a few months ago, we adopted a yorkie that has 3 legs. She had her front right leg amputated - it apparently got crushed and her previous owners didn't get it fixed. So by the time she got to the shelter, it had healed all deformed. Rest assured, she gets around just fine without that leg, and seems to have no pain associated. Her attached picture, we took right after getting her - and she had been shaved down for the amputation procedure. She really is much cuter now that her hair has grown out some, and she got a proper grooming!

EDIT & UPDATE: I have decided to scratch the below pattern, too many questions for my first time pattern. Instead, I am going with canine comfort dog sweater pattern, I think. Would still love to hear ideas on how to modify that right leg hole. I am thinking I can just skip the "sleeve" and maybe add a row of stitches, then close it up with a sl st. It doesn't have to be perfect, just warm! Besides, once I have a better idea how this pattern works up, I will be able to bypass the hole next time.

**Previous Questions Follow**
My question is this... I would like to make her some dog sweaters, without that right leg opening. But, I have never made anything but afghans before, and have little experience following patterns. I am pretty comfortable with my stitches though, so I think I can catch on quick. I am thinking about this dog sweater. I am thinking I can just skip that right leg opening by continuing the sc/dc pattern over that area.

I have two more questions, about reading the pattern, in this section:

Leg Openings: Next row: (RS). Pat across 3 (5-7-9) sts. Sl st across next 5 (5-5-7) sts. Ch 1. Pat across 23 (29- 37-55) sts. Sl st across next 5 (5-5-7) sts. Pat to end of row.
Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section.
Work 1 (1½-1½-2½) ins [2.5 (4-4-6) cm] in pat, ending with RS row.

First, it says "PATTERN ACROSS 3 STS". what does pattern across mean? since I am alternating sc/dc in the upper section of the pattern, I assume this means just to continue the pattern for 3 stitches?

Also, on it's NOTE about using separate balls of yarn for each leg, when exactly do you switch to the second ball?

I am new around crochetville - but I love it here already! Sorry I am asking so many questions. I would appreciate any and all help you can give!

Attached Thumbnails

• 004a.jpg

Edited by skatters, 15 September 2011 - 11:06 AM.

~Kate in Iowa~

Blog
Ravelry Projects

#2 FrLopLady

FrLopLady

• Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

I agree that the pattern across would be the alternating dc/sc. Since there is a different stitch count for each size I guess that is why the creator chose to write it that way. Not sure why ** to indicate a repeat wasn't used. Might have been a bit clearer.
Found this note through ravelry on a sweater someone else made for their dog

"Pattern note: the section of the pattern that reads: “Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section. Work 1 (1½-1½-2½) ins 2.5 (4-4-6) cm in pat, ending with RS row” was entirely confusing to me at first. I figured it out though, it simply means that the pieces between and on either side of each leg opening are worked separately. One from the edge of the piece until the first leg opening (from beg of “Leg Openings” row to first set of sl sts), one between the two openings (from first set of sl sts to second set) , and one after the second leg opening to the other edge of the piece (from second set of sl sts to end of row). One not necessarily need three separate balls of yarn as is stated in the pattern, just join at the outer edge and work designated number of stitches for your size, turn, ch, and continue to work those same stitches until you reach the length designated by your size. Then FO and join just after first set of sl sts to make the next center piece, etc. The first green stripe on my sweater--closest to Buddy’s head--was made by working the center piece in green and the two outer pieces in white. Hope this helps anyone else who was confused!"

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#3 grannyannie

grannyannie

• Villager
  • 11,997 posts

• Joined 25-November 07

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Just wanted to say that your dog is adorable! I see that Mary has answered your questions. I find that Bernats patterns can be very confusing. I had looked at that pattern for my dog just the other day and went with another one. Trust me, I didn't do any better. I'm in the process of making my own up for my little Juno now. Good luck on your sweater! I look forward to seeing the pics!!

Ann
Compassionate Creations - scarves for survivors of abuse

proud owner of stitchgirl's tote Jan '11
proud owner of dorothysgirls' pen/pencil set Mar '11
proud owner of Old Time 4th of July-baglady #64
proud owner of Kuddlekubs Snow Capped Mountains Tote
My Rav ID - grannyanniek  
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Villager
  • 15,358 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

You can make it without the opening BUT if you look at the picture - the opening covers a good sized area. I think that if you try to do it without the opening with this pattern that it's probably going to pull.

#5 skatters

skatters

• Villager
  • 565 posts

• Joined 12-September 11

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! Thank you for finding that advice about the legs, Mary. I have read and reread it - but still can't wrap my brain around it. Plus, there are other parts that are confusing.

SOOOOOOO... I have decided to scratch that pattern, and try this one. Canine Comfort Dog Sweater At least I can make sense out of this pattern! (I will update my first post, so no one wastes time doing that research for me.)

With that right leg opening, I bet I can just leave off the "sleeve" and sc or sl st the opening closed. That might be easier than trying to bypass the whole opening to begin with by modifying the pattern. NEXT time I can try to skip the hole, when I have a better idea of what the heck I am doing!

Thanks for taking the time out to reply, everyone!
~Kate in Iowa~

Blog
Ravelry Projects

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Villager
  • 15,358 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

I don't know if closing the hole is going to work. It may end up pulling. Obviously, you want to try it and what's the worst that can happen? You end up taking the seam out and then it's fine. I would suggest using the slst first and trying it on your adorable little dog (what's her name?). If you're happy with it then YAY! If you're not - you'll be able to take it out.

A quick tip for working the first round because keeping a ch50 from twisting can be a pain: Make your chain and don't join it. Work your scs across, slst to join the round and then use the tail from the slip knot to join the bottom of Round 1 after it's completed.

#7 skatters

skatters

• Villager
  • 565 posts

• Joined 12-September 11

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the advice Michele! I will definitely follow both pieces, about trying the sweater on the dog to see how that hole will close, and the part about ch 50! I am excited to get started! I just got back from buying the yarn!
~Kate in Iowa~

Blog
Ravelry Projects

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Villager
  • 15,358 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

I hope you share pics of your progress!