4 replies to this topic

#1 tempus-fugit

tempus-fugit

• Villager
  • 14 posts

• Joined 17-July 05

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:27 PM

Hello all,

In the book White Crochet (published by Better Homes and Gardens in 1988), the Arrowhead-Design Bedspread calls for "Lily Sugar 'n' Cream 3-ply cotton baby and fingering yarn" in 1.25-ounce skeins.

I checked the Lily Web site and they, of course, still make Sugar 'n' Cream cotton yarn, but I don't see "3-ply cotton baby and fingering yarn."

Does anyone know if the "3-ply cotton baby and fingering yarn" still exists? If not, does anyone know what would be a good substitute?

Thanks so much for your help.

Wayne

#2 Sharon

Sharon

• Emigrated from the Village
  • 697 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:00 PM

Could that possible be the Sugar Babies yarn? I bought tons of it, but I think it's no longer made. http://gallery.bcent...gar-Babies.aspx

#3 natalie058

natalie058

• Villager
  • 1,817 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

I believe that Smiley's yarn has this on sale right now...

#4 natalie058

natalie058

• Villager
  • 1,817 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

Lily's Sugar n Cream Sport??

Well, I just checked and these balls are bigger than the size you're looking for.

#5 tempus-fugit

tempus-fugit

• Villager
  • 14 posts

• Joined 17-July 05

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Thanks so much for your help, Sharon and Natalie. I think there are two problems (challenges?) with older pattern books: 1) the yarn in question has been discontinued or 2) wasn't accurately described in the first place. Then again, I may be wrong on both counts!

I know that fingering weight is the usual weight for sock-making and is normally (I think) 3-ply. I suppose a sock-weight yarn might do the trick though, then again, traditional bedspreads are usually made in cotton, not wool, blends or acrylic.

That link to Smiley’s is terrific. Amazing sales! Never knew about it. I'm going to go over it carefully.

Kind regards,

Wayne