• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 lisamartinez

lisamartinez
  • Villager
  • 517 posts

• Joined 25-September 08

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

I want to make a graph afghan and felt it, but wanted to know if anyone has felted a whole afghan and if so, how did it turn out?

Thanks,

Lisa

#2 mescovedo

mescovedo
  • Villager
  • 463 posts

• Joined 20-May 08

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

I'm interested in seeing the responses on this one. I haven't but I imagine it would turn our beautifully felted. Eagerly awaiting... lol!

#3 lisamartinez

lisamartinez
  • Villager
  • 517 posts

• Joined 25-September 08

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

I think it would be wonderful too! I want to make a Harley Davidson blanket, but solid and fuzzy like the felting does.

#4 mescovedo

mescovedo
  • Villager
  • 463 posts

• Joined 20-May 08

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

I imagine it would get pretty heavy as you are making it, but since felting shrinks it I think the finished product would be awesome! Really a great idea!

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,286 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

I've never felted but doesn't felting shrink the finished item? How big would you have to make the afghan so it'd be the size you want after being felted?

#6 lisamartinez

lisamartinez
  • Villager
  • 517 posts

• Joined 25-September 08

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

Well, I think I will try one and just substitute the single (SC) crochet stitches for double (DC). I will just do the logo for now, if it turns out nice I will make it a throw pillow and then start on the matching blanket. It gets cold in Utah (especially camping), so the warmth and heaviness is desirable.

#7 mescovedo

mescovedo
  • Villager
  • 463 posts

• Joined 20-May 08

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

don't forget to post pics!

#8 happy stitcher

happy stitcher
  • Villager
  • 5,395 posts

• Joined 30-October 06

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

I'll be watching this, too. I have an afghan I started with the intention of felting it, and then I wasn't sure about continuing, so I've got it put away for now. I'm doing mine in hexagons, and I felted a few hexagons when I started just to see how much it would shrink. But then I wasn't sure the finished afghan would fit in my washer for felting, and wasn't sure I wanted to continue....

So I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anybody has any tips! I'd love to hear them! :yes
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything.

My Craft Album

#9 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb
  • Villager
  • 6,676 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Wouldn't it be scratchy if it is felted? :think

Deb
Bag Lady #52 Miss Liberty 2010

#10 boogiedu

boogiedu
  • Villager
  • 463 posts

• Joined 15-May 05

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

when you make a project that is going to be felted
you need to use a larger hook so that the stitches
will be loose because they need to have room to felt together.
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to,
doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

#11 PWhitlee

PWhitlee
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 10-June 11

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

I also think that I read somewhere, although I haven't felted and so I may be entirely wrong, that only natural fibers will felt together. Acrylic won't do it and wool is really best for it, and I don't believe I've ever seen any orange wool, although it's entirely possible to find some.

Let me know how it goes, because my mother used to have the exact type of blanket you're talking about making; she had the huge Harley Davidson blanket that was super warm and fuzzy because it was "felted" in a way, although I don't think it was actually felting.

I'm not actually sure how they make those blankets, but they are, hands down, the warmest and neatest looking things I've ever seen in my life. There's a guy across from work that sells them out of his van, and he's got one with a dragon on it that I've been eyeing for weeks now.

#12 happy stitcher

happy stitcher
  • Villager
  • 5,395 posts

• Joined 30-October 06

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

Wouldn't it be scratchy if it is felted? :think

Nope. I've only made a few felted things, but the wool I use (Paton's Classic Merino) isn't scratchy at all when it's felted. :hook
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything.

My Craft Album

#13 losingmymind2

losingmymind2
  • Villager
  • 7,635 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Everything I have felted is pretty soft, and a few drops of hair conditioner in the final rinse make it even nicer.
Kathy
HELP! I'm drowning in yarn; but what a way to go!...send in HOOKS!
Wish List Group 6 updated 5/11

#14 DogCatMom

DogCatMom
  • Villager
  • 469 posts

• Joined 09-April 11

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

Knitpicks.com is running a sale (up to 35% off, depending on the yarn) through June 30. Two orange yarns I found are on the bottom row of this page; they're currently on sale. 100% wool, NOT superwashed, and therefore felt-able. They're not necessarily the *only* orange, 100% wool yarns on sale; they're just the first two I found.

DCM

#15 sopo

sopo
  • Villager
  • 1,523 posts

• Joined 10-December 10

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

I've never felted but I read someone does it in their kitchen sink instead of washer. If that's the case, you could felt an afghan in your tub I would think.

Stephanie ‎~,((())),-O
Turtle's TLC Tote Lady July 2011

My Blog / Somebody's Coming 

#16 checkers

checkers
  • Villager
  • 10 posts

• Joined 05-November 09

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:54 AM

I accidentally semi-felted an afghan. It was made around 1970 and was probably Red Heart. It must have been wool yarn and was probably a laundromat accident.

#17 CLLinda

CLLinda
  • Villager
  • 7,652 posts

• Joined 10-September 05

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

I think I would make some swatches with the color combo that you plan on using. Test them out to see if the colors felt the way they should in a small piece first, before making the whole thing first, and having a disaster.

Also, it would be very heavy to try to felt in a bathtub or something. You would have to do it in a washer. JMO

Good luck.

:manyheart

Stashbusting score for 2014.  WTD= +5 YTD= +70.  Bonze medal winner 1/5/14, Silver medal winner 1/26/14, 3/30/14! Gold medal winner for February YTD and Silver Medal winner for March YTD!   Linda W.* 1 year Breast Cancer Survivor!!!
A special place in my heart goes to www.carewear.org Bag lady #72! Thanks, Tampa Doll!
Stashbuster 2008 *257 Bronze Medal* 2009 Stashbusting final score YTD=+19! 2011 Final Stashbusting score -19! Stashbusting scores for 2012 final score+36! Opted out in October. Pray for our kids to keep them safe. RIP Dad, 8/31/08. RIP Davy Jones 2/29/12   :manyheart

#18 lisamartinez

lisamartinez
  • Villager
  • 517 posts

• Joined 25-September 08

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for all the input you guys! You have definitely helped me a ton! I will let you know how it goes and post pics...

Lisa

#19 stitchgirl

stitchgirl
  • Villager
  • 2,178 posts

• Joined 05-April 07

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

I would be interested to see how this would turn out. But frankly, I'd hate to see you ruin that much wool. A felted afghan I think would be awfully heavy and cumbersome. I know that you can buy wool blankets that are really felted, but I'd be afraid there would be too much there to felt consistently in a washer because you would have to make it much bigger to felt to the size you want. Good luck with it anyway!

Cathy

#20 smokeyp81

smokeyp81
  • Villager
  • 3,095 posts

• Joined 30-September 05

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

I'll be interested to see how this works out too....I have felted a lot....I have never felted anything that big though. I can't imagine how big it would have to be to felt down to the right size....also...not sure that a regular washing machine would be able to handle that much....because it would have to be pretty large, I wonder if it would all felt evenly?

Also, Cascade 220 has a nice orange 100% wool yarn. I have used Cascade 220 many times in felting and it works great!

<p>Heather2014 Book Challenge:13/50

Book Challenge: 2011-30/50 2012-35/50 2013-20/50

Bag Lady #67 Jack-O-Lantern - October 2011