4 replies to this topic

#1 tintorsmom1

tintorsmom1
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 02-June 11

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hello,

I am working from the Leisure Arts Little Books Ponchos & More for Kids. The Girl's Poncho pattern has a Tall Rope St that I am struggling with.

Stitch Guide says:
"YO, insert hook from front to back to front around the post of next st two rows below and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook; YO, insert hook from front to back to front of same st and pull up a loop, (YO and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times."

Can anyone point me to a video of this or post a video of this somewhere, or just in general help clarify this stitch? This stitch is introduced into Row 1, having already stitched a Foundation Row 1 and Foundation Row 2.

Help is GREATLY appreciated!
Paula

#2 Nira

Nira
  • Villager
  • 2,244 posts

• Joined 18-April 11

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

It seems very similar to Front post double crochet except you are going around 2 posts. You are working that stitch the next stitch over and two rows down. You could possibly find a video on FPDC that will help you understand this one. Hope this helps.
Amanda
Friendship-ghan - (12" WW any color)
*18 Squares received so far - Thanks!

Friendship-ghan CAL
www.flickr.com/photos/niralin
NiraLin on Ravelry

#3 Aggie May

Aggie May
  • Villager
  • 3,144 posts

• Joined 22-April 05

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

:thinkIt looks to me like it is the same as working a normal stitch but you are doing it around the post of the stitch, 2 rows below and you are stretching up the threads to make them long enough, then they are asking you pull the yarn through 2 loops on the hook.
Now, before you complete this stitch, you repeat the whole thing, around the same post stitch then you complete the stitches by YO and pull through all stitches on the hook.
It is a cluster of 2 stitches worked together, in the same place, with stretched up stitches.
Hope this does not confuse you even more.
Have fun.
Colleen:hug

#4 Amilyndra

Amilyndra
  • Villager
  • 60 posts

• Joined 23-May 11

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

:thinkIt looks to me like it is the same as working a normal stitch but you are doing it around the post of the stitch, 2 rows below and you are stretching up the threads to make them long enough, then they are asking you pull the yarn through 2 loops on the hook.
Now, before you complete this stitch, you repeat the whole thing, around the same post stitch then you complete the stitches by YO and pull through all stitches on the hook.
It is a cluster of 2 stitches worked together, in the same place, with stretched up stitches.
Hope this does not confuse you even more.
Have fun.
Colleen:hug

I agree here. Here's a good video showing a regular FPDC (front post double crochet). Once you get the hang of this, it should be easy to follow the instructions to make the rope stitch. Just remember, you will be working around the post 2 rows below the next stitch. For ease of reference, 1 row below would be the row you just completed, and 2 rows below would be the one below that.

Good luck and hope it turns out well!
If you can't laugh at yourself, everyone else will. Why let them have all the fun?

WIPS:
Summer Mystery CAL
Butterfly Pillow
Project/Yarn Organizer
Stars and Stripes Throw

#5 rivkee

rivkee
  • Villager
  • 37 posts

• Joined 16-December 10

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Forgive the lousy photography, please.

The first photo shows where you'll need to loop around-the same stitch, but two rows below where you are (in the bright pink)

The other photos show the rest of the steps:Yarning over and pulling up a loop through the stitch two rows below; yarning over again and pulling through two loops; yarning over again and pulling up a loop through the stitch two rows below, a second time; then yarning over and pulling through two loops, 3 times in a row, til you end up with one loop left on the hook, and a thick "ropey" stitch.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2455.jpg
  • IMG_2458.jpg
  • IMG_2459.jpg
  • IMG_2460.jpg
  • IMG_2461.jpg
  • IMG_2463.jpg
  • IMG_2464.jpg
  • IMG_2465.jpg
  • IMG_2466.jpg