• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lovingmommy

lovingmommy
  • Villager
  • 647 posts

• Joined 04-June 05

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:07 PM

caroline ingalls from "little house on the prairie" wore this red shawl on the show alot. i wonder if any of you what the pattern would be??? i love it. it looks really warm. please let me know if you have an idea on how to make it. thanks.

#2 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:35 PM

Hopefully you are still interested in crocheting Caroline Ingalls' shawl! I'm not sure I have the perfect pattern for you, but I was excited to see your question because I also admired her shawl. Recently, my husband and I bought the first 2 seasons of the show, and one thing I noticed right away when watching the first season is how much crochet is displayed on the shows! You see Mary and Laura wearing crocheted hats, and their mom has that wonderful crocheted red shawl. Also, you tend to see a lot of crocheted blankets in the Olsen's store. I think even some of the scenes inside various homes have a crocheted blanket across the back of a couch or hanging on a peg on the wall. I feel like I'm playing "Spot the Crochet" when I watch this show!

I really like her shawl and basically figured out that it's some kind of variation on 3 or 4 double crochets with perhaps chains between. And then you do the next row in the chain spaces? I found a few patterns online that I wanted to swatch to see if it turns out the way I think it should. Here's a few:

Half Granny Square instructions

Pumamouse Crochet Sleuthing Shawl

Groovy Crochet Tassled Wrap Around Shawl

Groovy Crochet Filigree Shawl

I still haven't swatched any of these shawls. If you have the DVD of the shows where she's wearing her red shawl, you could possibly get a closer look and figure out which pattern would be the closest match. I know that the shawl was probably made using the method of the "Half Granny Square". Someone once posted a picture of a shawl they made that I thought looked like Caroline Ingalls' shawl, and it turned out they just used a simple pattern for a headscarf:

Craft Yarn Council's Triangle Fashions (headscarf)

#3 HollyM

HollyM
  • Villager
  • 978 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

Hmm...I'm googling for pictures, no luck yet.

Would it be considered bad form if anyone who does have the shows on tape/dvd took a picture of the tv screen and posted it??? Didn't know if that would be violating any type of copywrite issues...

I have vague recolections of her wearing shawls, but I haven't seen the show since I started crocheting :lol

Holly

#4 RachelG

RachelG
  • Villager
  • 6,071 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:14 PM

caroline ingalls from "little house on the prairie" wore this red shawl on the show alot. i wonder if any of you what the pattern would be??? i love it. it looks really warm. please let me know if you have an idea on how to make it. thanks.

I love the Little House TV series (watched an episode last night!) and I know the red shawl you're talking about. I don't know what pattern would be closest, though.
Rachel

#5 lovingmommy

lovingmommy
  • Villager
  • 647 posts

• Joined 04-June 05

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

I really like her shawl and basically figured out that it's some kind of variation on 3 or 4 double crochets with perhaps chains between. And then you do the next row in the chain spaces? I found a few patterns online that I wanted to swatch to see if it turns out the way I think it should. Here's a few:

i can't find a single picture of her shawl. it's frustrating because i know that she almost wore it every show. i love it. thanks for the links. i think that it might be something close to the half granny square pattern. thanks for replying. i had almost lost hope on this thread.

#6 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

Hey everyone! Wouldn't it be fun to do a Caroline Ingall's shawl crochet-a-long? If it's not against the rules of this forum, I could try to capture a screen shot of the shawl. But I remember from watching the t.v. shows on DVD that it's very hard to get a close look at her shawl. I think you just have to get an "impression" of the shawl and then make it based on how you feel it looks.

#7 lovingmommy

lovingmommy
  • Villager
  • 647 posts

• Joined 04-June 05

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:10 PM

Hey everyone! Wouldn't it be fun to do a Caroline Ingall's shawl crochet-a-long? If it's not against the rules of this forum, I could try to capture a screen shot of the shawl. But I remember from watching the t.v. shows on DVD that it's very hard to get a close look at her shawl. I think you just have to get an "impression" of the shawl and then make it based on how you feel it looks.

that is a great idea!!! i've been dying to make that shawl, lolol. ever since i saw it. it looks so confortable and pretty. i guess i love it because she wore it and well, being a mom, i guess she is an increadible role model.

#8 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:52 PM

that is a great idea!!! i've been dying to make that shawl, lolol. ever since i saw it. it looks so confortable and pretty. i guess i love it because she wore it and well, being a mom, i guess she is an increadible role model.

I will look in to trying to get a picture of the shawl later on. It might not come out very clear, but I can also look at what I can see when playing it on my t.v. More later. Glad to find a buddy to make the shawl with!

#9 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

Thank you for posting these links.:) The first one has some excellent tutorials, I saw them before.

Craft Yarn Council's Triangle Fashions (headscarf)[/QUOTE]

#10 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

You are Welcome!

[quote name='crochetfun']Thank you for posting these links.:) The first one has some excellent tutorials, I saw them before.

Craft Yarn Council's Triangle Fashions (headscarf)[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

#11 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:23 PM

I scanned through most of the episodes in the first season. It seems like Caroline wears the red shawl in episodes where she's a central character or has an important scene of dialogue (so far, with children). The funny thing about Caroline's red shawl is that when it first appears in an episode called "School Mom", the shawl is definitely KNIT! But then in an episode many weeks later called "Child of Pain", her red shawl appears again but this time it's CROCHET! I wonder why they switched? Maybe they misplaced her red shawl and decided to make it in crochet this time. Or maybe Caroline had a whole closet of red shawls. The knit shawl looks like garter stitch in the typical v-shape, with longish fringe. But the crochet shawl is definitely a half granny with no fringe. If I get more time, I'll scan more episodes and see if the shawl changes more.

I tried to get a screen shot but I am having some technical difficulties. I'll try again later, perhaps using a different program.

#12 lovingmommy

lovingmommy
  • Villager
  • 647 posts

• Joined 04-June 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

The funny thing about Caroline's red shawl is that when it first appears in an episode called "School Mom", the shawl is definitely KNIT! But then in an episode many weeks later called "Child of Pain", her red shawl appears again but this time it's CROCHET! I wonder why they switched? Maybe they misplaced her red shawl and decided to make it in crochet this time.

lololol. the funny thing is, that it probably doesn't mattern how the shawl is made. i guess i like it because she wore it well. i loved her character and all she represents for us moms. i loved the shawl and have been looking for a pattern. i guess now that it doesn't mattern what the pattern is. it's the illusion i'm after. i want a warm shawl my little kids will be able to associate with me when they gorw older and remember all the good times we had together. lolololol. man, do i seem to be needing some sleep, lolol. i'm thinking too hard!!! lolololol.

#13 HollyM

HollyM
  • Villager
  • 978 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

You people are a really bad influence :goodorbad
I couldn't find a screen shot anywhere on the internet. I asked my dear friend Melissa who is my source for all things LHotP and she couldn't help me. The show isn't aired on any station my darn cable company carries. Target & Costco didn't have the DVDs (though I know I"ve seen them there recently...) so I finally boogied over to Borders because their online system said they had Season 2 in stock. They didn't. Well, they did, but it wasn't anywhere to be found. I ended up getting Season 5, the earliest one they did have, because heaven forbid I should WAIT a few days:faintto order it. I really hope the wardrobe people took good care of that shawl and it made it through season 5!!!! :tryme

And yes, this is all tounge in cheek. I'll really enjoy having the DVD's even if I can't find the shawl on it :)

Holly

#14 RachelG

RachelG
  • Villager
  • 6,071 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:24 PM

I really hope the wardrobe people took good care of that shawl and it made it through season 5!!!! :tryme

Holly

What a coincidence! I just...like just got done five minutes ago...watched the two-parter "As Long as We're Together"...season 5, I do believe...and guess what was in it? Caroline's red shawl! To me it looks like a huge basic granny square...except in a v-shape instead of square.
Rachel

#15 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

What a coincidence! I just...like just got done five minutes ago...watched the two-parter "As Long as We're Together"...season 5, I do believe...and guess what was in it? Caroline's red shawl! To me it looks like a huge basic granny square...except in a v-shape instead of square.

Wow! The red shawl lives on! I'm looking forward to getting more of the seasons on DVD. I got the first 2 or 3 seasons from amazon. Most bookstores will special order (without any obligation to actually buy it) so maybe I'll order more seasons at my local borders.

#16 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

You people are a really bad influence :goodorbad
I couldn't find a screen shot anywhere on the internet. I asked my dear friend Melissa who is my source for all things LHotP and she couldn't help me. The show isn't aired on any station my darn cable company carries. Target & Costco didn't have the DVDs (though I know I"ve seen them there recently...) so I finally boogied over to Borders because their online system said they had Season 2 in stock. They didn't. Well, they did, but it wasn't anywhere to be found. I ended up getting Season 5, the earliest one they did have, because heaven forbid I should WAIT a few days:faintto order it. I really hope the wardrobe people took good care of that shawl and it made it through season 5!!!! :tryme

And yes, this is all tounge in cheek. I'll really enjoy having the DVD's even if I can't find the shawl on it :)

Holly

Glad that we could inspire you to get this classic t.v. show. You can't go wrong. Every episode is just as good as I remember from when I was a kid. There's a ton of crochet all over the episodes. So let us know what you spot!

#17 Lucki721

Lucki721
  • Villager
  • 389 posts

• Joined 02-September 05

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

I love 'The Little House on the Prairie' books!! I haven't really watched the show, because it strayed so far from the books. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to enjoy reading these wonderful books, haven't been able to find a good set anywhere though...any suggestions? I may try Amazon if I can't locate them anywhere.

That said, now I will have to be more mindful if I see it on tv, lol!

On a different note, does anyone here have the Lion Brand book of classic crochet (and knit) patterns? It's from 1916, and they only sell it on their website. I was wondering if it was worth it, maybe I will check to see if they have it at the library?

#18 HollyM

HollyM
  • Villager
  • 978 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

Ahhhhhhhh :scared

Guess what I just found??? A LHotP marathon on TV Land.
It's on until 3 am eastern, and may be more tomorrow. It's actually a 3 day Michael Landon marathon. Right now it looks like the very earliest episodes.

So keep your eyes peeled for the red shawl!!!

I watched the first 2 dvds from the Season 5 set, only one quick glimpse in the episode Rachel mentioned.

Holly

#19 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:21 PM

lol. That is so timely. Cool! I don't have TV Land, but let me know if you spot any crochet stuff.

Ahhhhhhhh :scared

Guess what I just found??? A LHotP marathon on TV Land.
It's on until 3 am eastern, and may be more tomorrow. It's actually a 3 day Michael Landon marathon. Right now it looks like the very earliest episodes.

So keep your eyes peeled for the red shawl!!!

I watched the first 2 dvds from the Season 5 set, only one quick glimpse in the episode Rachel mentioned.

Holly

#20 soozun

soozun
  • Villager
  • 70 posts

• Joined 31-August 05

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:26 PM

I have been wanting to re-read the Little House books. I remember reading them when I was a kid. My husband wants to read them too. :hug He's become a big fan of the t.v. show, and now we both want to go back and read the books to see what really happened.

Do you remember reading anything in the books about crochet? I found a Web site that says that Laura Ingalls Wilder and her daughter, Rose, both crocheted:

http://www.crochetme...m/crochet10.php

This article is interesting. It mentions Laura's crochet thread:

http://www.startribu.../2256870-2.html

I haven't gotten that pattern book but I have been interested in it. I have seen some interesting vintage crochet patterns on the internet for free. If I can dig the links up, I'll let you know them.

I love 'The Little House on the Prairie' books!! I haven't really watched the show, because it strayed so far from the books. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to enjoy reading these wonderful books, haven't been able to find a good set anywhere though...any suggestions? I may try Amazon if I can't locate them anywhere.

That said, now I will have to be more mindful if I see it on tv, lol!

On a different note, does anyone here have the Lion Brand book of classic crochet (and knit) patterns? It's from 1916, and they only sell it on their website. I was wondering if it was worth it, maybe I will check to see if they have it at the library?