• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#1 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Don't you just love all the round blankets? I certainly do. Want to make a lovely round blanket of your choice with me? Here are a few helpful tips to help you get started and be sucessful. :U

• Choose a doily pattern that is at least 12" to 18" in width. Finished blanket will be about 2-3 times that size.
  • Do a small swatch with size 10 thread and size 7 hook of 3 or 4 rows and do the same swatch with worsted weight yarn and the size hook you intend to use. The bigger the hook, the better drape your finished blanket will have. The swatches willl give you an estimate as to how much bigger the blanket will be than the inches given for the doily in thread.
  • Choose a doily that doesn't have very large holes in it, because they will be much larger in your finished blanket, unless you want it that way. :D
  • This is a trial and error experiment, at the very least you will have a lovely shawl or decoration for the back of your couch, or a new born baby blanket to bless someone with.
  • Have fun! Oh, and post pictures! :cheer
RoseRed's blog post of tips for working with Doilyghans http://rosereddesign...hints-tips.html

RoseRed offered this very helpful tip too. It's an easy way of determining if a doily would be big enough to be a blanket...

"Think of the sizing this way. I usually make my baby afghans at least 30 rounds so a doily with 30 rounds or more will be perfect but I also make big baby ghans."

If you come up with any tips or helpful hints please post them too. We can all help eachother. :manyheart

Edited by heart, 21 February 2011 - 11:34 AM.
adding a tip

#2 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

I am using Red Heart super savor in baby pink and am going to use Summer Splendor by Denise Augostine. I think. :) Probably will use a size h or I hook. G hook is my favorite, but I want the stitches to be taller than a G would give. It's 11" so I'm hoping it will be about 3 feet across the center. Hopefully, lol. The sts are kind of dense but still lacy, so it should be pretty as a blanket.

#3 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

Here are some links to doilies that I think would make pretty blankets. They are all over 11" in diameter.

Snow Flower Doily
Christmas Shells Doily
Double Pineapple Doily
Large Pineapple Doily
Romantic Pineapples Doily

#4 craftyone

craftyone

• Villager
  • 1,091 posts

• Joined 28-March 08

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

I really like the double pineapple one. What I great idea; I don't like working in thread too much - but love some of the doily patterns. Great idea for baby blankets. Count me in

Edited by craftyone, 12 February 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#5 tralee

tralee

• Villager
  • 1,593 posts

• Joined 16-June 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Not sure what pattern I will pick, but I have been wanting to make one of these for awhile now. I am definitely in!:yay
2011WIP-busting Score: Week to date (WTD) -1 Year to date (YTD) +4

2011 Weight Loss CAL:3/9

2011 Stashbusting CAL: Week to date (WTD)
+2 Year to date (YTD) +5

A Doily to Blanket A~Long

#6 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yay! :hook

#7 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Here is what I have so far, I may need to pick a different pattern, or go up a hook. Either way, I can't wait to get it worked out and have a doily blanket for my daughters room. :U

#8 JulieKay

JulieKay

• Villager
  • 14,554 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hi Sarah
Wonderful idea,and this will be exciting to see you guy's doily-ghans when they are done .
I would LOVE to join in,but can't use yarn now due to my asthma --it all makes me wheeze REALLY bad .I have tried lots of different types, about everything you could think of ,so I am sorta stuck with using thread unless or until something better comes along .
I have done nearly nothing in thread -- just one or 2 small items ,and am currently working on a small square doily,but nothing NEAR what these patterns are as far as challenging .

If I screw up the courage,could I play along but just make mine a doily -sized item ?

It'd turn out bigger than the pattern says because I cant use the real tiny thread and hooks .I use the size 3 thread with a D hook .

Even if I cant do it, I'll be checking in and looking at photos.

Good luck,you guys !

#9 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

Sure Julie! That'd be great! #3 thread is actually my favorite medium to use.

#10 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

I've used as big as a size G hook with #3 thread. An F size hook still gives nice stitch definition too. :hook

#11 Momcrochets

Momcrochets

• Villager
  • 5,971 posts

• Joined 09-September 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

:lurking for now...made a doily-ghan for my nephew last fall.
This thread is how I found that pattern...Can't wait to see some of the gorgeous results that will come out of this CAL. (and maybe I'll see if my stash has enough to do another sometime, with all this inspiration)

Isaiah 40:11

#12 AngelRoseLite

AngelRoseLite

• Villager
  • 1,719 posts

• Joined 08-December 10

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

I'm in! I've never done anything like this. I'm going to try the Romantic Pineapples pattern. Woo-hoo!

AngelRoseLite

Rambling 'n Yarning
Pinterest page
2012 Holiday Wish List
Ravelry

Proud member of Tampa Doll's bag lady club:  First Day of School Tote #102 (Sept. 2014)

#13 Shell Lee

Shell Lee

• Villager
  • 877 posts

• Joined 13-December 10

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

I've started several doily-ghans in the past, but I end up getting distracted by other patterns and not finishing. I may have to add finishing the current doily-ghan sitting in the storage ottoman to my queue.
Shell (not Shelly, just Shell) :)
my blog: Little Orphan Skein - crafts
Mom's blog: Fiber Shenanigans -crafts
Shell Lee on Ravelry
Stashbustin' 2011: wtd -10 ytd +11

#14 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Villager
  • 15,434 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Think of the sizing this way. I usually make my baby afghans at least 30 rounds so a doily with 30 rounds or more will be perfect but I also make big baby ghans.

#15 judianne

judianne

• Villager
  • 23,039 posts

• Joined 06-November 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

I'd like to give this a try. I remember when Darski made hers.
This will help me use some stash...but I have a pile of doily patterns to look through before I decide on which one to use.
Judy
"Wise is the woman who fortifies her life with friendships."

Proud Bag Lady of #44, Peppermint Swirl

www.judysyarncreations.blogspot.com

#16 JulieKay

JulieKay

• Villager
  • 14,554 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hi Sarah
Thanks for the suggestions and I may get better with thread over time and be able to change up hooks,and maybe even try a smaller thread .
Now to choose a color and pattern. They are all so pretty .

Momcrochets -
Wow, I hadnt seen the baby pattern you put the link on for. That is gorgeous ! What color did you use for yours ?

HiYa Jude
Good to have you over here too ! I KNOW you will do terrific at this --you are doggone good at the round babyghans,so this is right up your alley !

#17 judianne

judianne

• Villager
  • 23,039 posts

• Joined 06-November 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks, Jules:hook
Judy

#18 Gardener

Gardener

• Villager
  • 15,926 posts

• Joined 16-June 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

I've done a couple of doilyghans in the past. One didn't work out very well, as the doily pattern was too holey to begin with, which meant that the baby blanket was pretty much a mess of chains and holes.
This is a picture of the other one. It believe it was 12 or 13 rounds and it is about 15 inches in diameter, so it will be suitable as a preemie blanket.
I have been thinking about trying another one, as I like working doily patterns, just don't care much to do them in thread. I'm still looking for a pattern though.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0003.jpg

Cindy

Bag lady #128: Fall Harvest
myblog
2017 50 book challenge: 47
2016 reading challenge: 114
2017 Boxing Day Charity CAL: 3
2017 finishes: 12

#19 judianne

judianne

• Villager
  • 23,039 posts

• Joined 06-November 06

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Cindy, that's a nice one!!
Judy

#20 dobermama

dobermama

• Villager
  • 5,796 posts

• Joined 21-December 08

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

Oh, I've wanted to do one of these for a while now. Not feeling to good at the moment but will definitely join when I get over whatever it is that's bothering me, whether it's a cold or the latest round of chemo.

So, count me in! I have some great SS in peach I would love to use.

Proud owner of Bag Lady #60: The Rose
Proud Owner Punk's Sunflower Market Tote
Proud Owner:HookerAngel Original Afghan doberghan

Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own. Mathew 6:34

Toni in the mountains of NE Alabama
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com please click to feed the animals