Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Finishing off technique

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yarn It

Yarn It
  • Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 08-October 10

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

I have recently finished two scarves for children, but I need to finish the edges. I've been contemplating going to my LYS (20 miles from me) or do you think it's possible for me to learn how to finish the edges online? I want to do a good job so if it means driving 20 plus miles, I'm all for it.

TIA for any help and/or suggestions.

#2 nicolep

nicolep
  • Villager
  • 5,301 posts

• Joined 07-May 09

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

Do you mean putting a border around the scarf? I'm not sure what you mean by "finish the edges".

Nicole

Proud recipient of Turtle's TLC
Proud Bag Lady LXIII - June Bouquet
2013 Book Challenge - 3/50

#3 Yarn It

Yarn It
  • Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 08-October 10

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

Do you mean putting a border around the scarf? I'm not sure what you mean by "finish the edges".

Oh, yes, that's what I mean. I don't know crochet speak yet, but I'll learn. I just want something simple since I'm a beginner. I've seen some beautifully finished pieces, but I need to stick with elementary stuff for now. Thank you so much for replying. :)

#4 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,695 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hi Yarn It :waving

CrochetCabana is a very good reference site that has a nice section on how to do crochet borders http://www.crochetca...ers-edgings.htm
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#5 Yarn It

Yarn It
  • Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 08-October 10

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hi Yarn It :waving

CrochetCabana is a very good reference site that has a nice section on how to do crochet borders http://www.crochetca...ers-edgings.htm

Hi CrochetCabana! (love your name)

I book marked the link and will check it out tomorrow. My eyes are growing weary. Thank you very much!

#6 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,695 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hi CrochetCabana! (love your name)

I book marked the link and will check it out tomorrow. My eyes are growing weary. Thank you very much!

:)Just to clarify, i am not connected with the CrochetCabana site.
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#7 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,598 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

What stitch did you use for your scaraves? I have never edged mine unless a pattern specifically called for it. Mary

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,336 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

I don't normally edge scarves either.

The best thing you can learn to use on the forum is how to insert a pic. This way we can see the project and give you the best advice that we can.

You should be fine learning from vidoes. Check out NextStitch. They have some great ones.