Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

How much is a scarf worth?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rolling_backpack

rolling_backpack
  • Villager
  • 1,008 posts

• Joined 01-July 08

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:32 AM

Hi everyone! I have been working on several scarves that take about 2-3 hours to make(I haven't timed myself). They're v-stitch scarves with tassles at the end and are fairly simple to make but take time. I've never sold scarves before so I don't know how much to sell them for. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0458.jpg

My Facebook if you'd like to know more about me :)
When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better.
My Wishlist

#2 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb
  • Villager
  • 6,846 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Not sure what I would charge but they sure are pretty!

Deb
Bag Lady #52 Miss Liberty 2010

#3 katyallen8090

katyallen8090
  • Villager
  • 8,755 posts

• Joined 30-July 10

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

How pretty, how did you get the one on the right to stripe that way! I haven't sold too many, usually just give them away, but the last ones I remember selling, had a hat with it, to match, and I think I got 15.99 out of them, at a booth, at a craft fair...Not bad, sorta depends on the material you used, and such, as we all know, we NEVER get paid enough for the work time and effort we have into a project, ;) Good luck though, and don't forget, donating to a good cause won't put money in your pocket, but it will put a smile in your heart!

Granny Friendship/Comfort ghan Cal click on link for info on joining and eye candy

and list of members, and preferences.

Midnight brights afghan thread 

October square a day

My free square patterns here and here.......and here

My friendship ghan here! Thanks to all!

My Photopages

0ct 2013 Im a bag lady POST 77 

#4 CeeMe

CeeMe
  • Villager
  • 61 posts

• Joined 26-August 10

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

Good question. I always wondered how you would price things for a craft fair.Beautiful scaves.
WIP:
Yo-Yo
DSD College blanket
DH afghan
2# dishcloth personal challenge
scarf for Christmas

#5 CroJulee

CroJulee
  • Villager
  • 3,619 posts

• Joined 07-February 06

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Don't sell them for less than $18.00. Your scarves are beautiful so price them accordingly. When I use to do craft shows I never sold my scarves for less than $20. Your time is worth something and you can make enough to pay for your time and materials. It may be minimum wage but it's still something. :-D I use to sell my beanies too and I made about 8 profit per hat. Takes me about an hour for a beanie using a "G" or "H" hook and worsted weight yarn. That's about $8.00 an hour and less than a couple bucks for materials. You can make money with crafty. You just have to find ways to be effecient. :-D

Good Luck with selling your scarves!!

Julee

#6 rolling_backpack

rolling_backpack
  • Villager
  • 1,008 posts

• Joined 01-July 08

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions =D
My Facebook if you'd like to know more about me :)
When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better.
My Wishlist

#7 oliveoil

oliveoil
  • Villager
  • 4,901 posts

• Joined 13-April 07

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

Those are really very pretty scarves!! Last year I sold scarf & hat sets for $15 & $20, those seemed to sell faster than selling the hat or scarf separately. (I also use very simple stitches and some of the yarn I use, I have bought on sale).
I was just looking at Sunday's Penny's Circular and they have a "popcorn stitch" scarf on sale for $12.99(reg. price $26).
I also find that in the town I live in........there seem to be a lot of "crocheters/knitters"..............I hear a lot of "oh look Ruth, I think I can make that"........or.............."HOW MUCH?"------Oh, I can make that for cheaper(these are the people that I have to bite my tongue so not to tell them off!!):eek :eek

#8 MissyAnn

MissyAnn
  • Villager
  • 321 posts

• Joined 13-September 10

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

I hear a lot of "oh look Ruth, I think I can make that"........or.............."HOW MUCH?"------Oh, I can make that for cheaper(these are the people that I have to bite my tongue so not to tell them off!!):eek :eek

I'm afraid to say, that I am one of those people. If I see something I like, I will check to see if I have a pattern or check on line and make it myself. As a crocheter, I know all too well how underappreciated our time/work is, but I'm such a "frugal" (okay, cheapo lol!) that I usually try to make the things myself.

#9 auntbubbels

auntbubbels
  • Villager
  • 9,546 posts

• Joined 22-October 05

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

I would take the cost of the materials and times it by three to come up with the amount. If it was a detailed project then times it by four.

Of course, you wouldn't use the sale price!!!!

#10 IamJolyn

IamJolyn
  • Villager
  • 438 posts

• Joined 01-July 08

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

what people don't seem to realize, is what we are making is a one of a kind, hand made creation. of course the could go to a store and get something there for less, but so can every other person :) I agree with the cost of the supplies times 3, that seems fair, don't be afraid to charge what your time and effort are worth.
~Jolyn~~,'~@

#11 goodtaste

goodtaste
  • Villager
  • 3,077 posts

• Joined 17-May 05

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

I would say it all depends on your clientele. Can you ascertain what they can afford and would be willing to pay? If you know your target audience and its financial bracket, you're set!

#12 shariw52

shariw52
  • Villager
  • 35 posts

• Joined 05-August 08

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

What you sell them for depends on the cost of the yarn and how complicated the pattern is. I start my scarves at $25 and sell them for as high as $70. You'll never get paid for your time. If you price them too cheap, most people think that you used junk yarn. Don't sell yourself short.