Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo
- - - - -

Billed Cap

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,434 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

Billed Cap
bill01.jpg

WW yarn and 6 MM hook

If you want to use a smaller hook just do more increase rows to get the size you want. My hat is about 7 inches in diameter. This pattern is a general “how to” so more stitches will not affect the overall effect.
Special stitch: Spike dc… done one row below
See illustration here:
http://crochetme.com...0334.aspx#90334

bill02.jpg

Join all rounds until otherwise directed.

Row 1: ch 4, 11 dc in 4th ch from hook join in 4th ch. (12 dc)

Row 2: 2 dc in every dc. (24 dc)

Row 3: *2dc in 1, dc in next* rep to end. (36 dc)

Row 4: *dc in 2, 2 dc in next* rep to end (48 dc)

Row 5: * dc in 4 , 2dc in next* rep to end (58 dc) This will not work out evenly but the stitch count is correct.

Row 6: * dc in 1, Spike dc in row below* repeat to end. (29 dc, 29 Spike dc. Please note that you can skip the fancy stitches and just work evenly in dc if you prefer.

Row 7: dc evenly around. (58 dc)

Rows 8-11: hdc evenly around. Break off and tidy ends.

bill03.jpg

Mark out 15 stitches at the ‘front’ of your cap for the brim. You could do the brim with 2 strands to make it firmer. I think I would do so next time I try this. For the brim you will be working back and forth – no more joining. J

Attach yarn in first of selected sts…

B/row 1: 2 FPhdc in 1, FPhdc in 3, FPsc in 7, FPhdc in 3, 2FPhdc in last. (17 sts)

B/row 2: hdc in 4, sc in 9, hdc in 4.

B/row 3: sc evenly across
B/row 4-5: sc in 1st sc dec, sc to last 3 sts, sc dec, sc in last.

Work a row of single crochet down the side of brim rows, around hat and up and across the rest of the brim stitches. Break off and tidy all ends.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2010

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

Edited by darski, 17 September 2010 - 12:18 AM.
notes

When in doubt... make a hat.      And feel free to *pin* me.
http://groups.yahoo....p/dudsfordoras/

My Boxing Day CAL counts to date: hats - 27;  lapghans 3:  shawls - 3, pet snugly -1, slippers -3

#2 zion777

zion777
  • Villager
  • 97 posts

• Joined 17-April 10

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

This is so cute, I will have to try it. I just started crocheting this year so the spike dc is something I never heard of.
Thanks for sharing

#3 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,434 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

This is so cute, I will have to try it. I just started crocheting this year so the spike dc is something I never heard of.
Thanks for sharing

The link will show you a good pic of what it looks like so I don't think you would have trouble with it. However, as I said, you don`t need to use it if you don`t feel overly ambitious just yet.

But think how proud you would be if you did it :dance

:wlol

My Boxing Day CAL counts to date: hats - 27;  lapghans 3:  shawls - 3, pet snugly -1, slippers -3

#4 Flia

Flia
  • Villager
  • 768 posts

• Joined 02-January 08

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

So easy and so well composed.
Thanks for sharing.

#5 stitchgirl

stitchgirl
  • Villager
  • 2,179 posts

• Joined 05-April 07

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:37 AM

Very cute Darski. I made a cap like this a couple of years ago for my niece's baby boy. Did the bill the same way. Yours is very nice.

Cathy

#6 muise

muise
  • Villager
  • 366 posts

• Joined 28-October 09

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

i will be doing this tonight, hubby saw it and wants it asap. lol

#7 ansept

ansept
  • Villager
  • 154 posts

• Joined 23-May 09

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

Love this pattern!:clap

#8 RelicRaider

RelicRaider
  • Villager
  • 1,113 posts

• Joined 18-December 07

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

This is PERFECT! I love these types of hats for myself, and I really need one for the costume I'm putting together for my nephew, for which this will work perfectly.

Thanks so much for sharing. As soon as I'm done with the pants I'm working on for it, I'm going to get right to work whipping together one of these. :)
Heather
--------
WIPS: Too many to name!
Wish List & My Craft Blog

"Allergy Alert" - artificial sweeteners & wool.

#9 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,434 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thank you all. it is a quick pattern to make... maybe I should do another one. :wlol

#10 pineapplequeen

pineapplequeen
  • Villager
  • 11,575 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Very nice!! Thanks for the pattern.

2014 Book Challenge-74/50

2013 Book Challenge 111/50

#11 muise

muise
  • Villager
  • 366 posts

• Joined 28-October 09

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

ok I made this last night. I do however think I have found a problem with the pattern, everything up to round 5 works out but round 5 does not. I re did it many times and ended with the same result, when i get to the end of round 5, after 2 dc (which would be #53 & #54 in one stitch I have only room for 3 more stitches. which does not work as according to the pattern I need to do 4 more dc's and 2 dc's in the next stitch. so according to the pattern I am supposed to end with 60 stitchs but I do not have room for them so I ended round 5 with dc's in the next 2 stitches and 2 dc is the last. gives me 58 like the pattern says. so I made it work.

hope this makes sense.

#12 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,434 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:17 AM

ok I made this last night. I do however think I have found a problem with the pattern, everything up to round 5 works out but round 5 does not. I re did it many times and ended with the same result, when i get to the end of round 5, after 2 dc (which would be #53 & #54 in one stitch I have only room for 3 more stitches. which does not work as according to the pattern I need to do 4 more dc's and 2 dc's in the next stitch. so according to the pattern I am supposed to end with 60 stitchs but I do not have room for them so I ended round 5 with dc's in the next 2 stitches and 2 dc is the last. gives me 58 like the pattern says. so I made it work.

hope this makes sense.

No... I should have said "however it works out" for row 5 as it is outside the standard circle pattern so you are to have the 58 sts. I purposely skipped the usual next row (dc in 3, 2dc in next) so that the hat would not get too large. :blush

I'll add that in now for others. I hoped the stitch count would demonstrate what I meant. :ty for mentioning this so I can make the note.

#13 redhead54

redhead54
  • Villager
  • 383 posts

• Joined 19-September 05

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

LOVE this. Thanks for the pattern darski. It's a winner!

#14 ShilohsNamma

ShilohsNamma
  • Villager
  • 472 posts

• Joined 14-January 08

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I worked one up this evening. I will post a picture later. Again thanks for sharing my cousin will love it.

#15 TallGirl

TallGirl
  • Villager
  • 1,458 posts

• Joined 04-January 06

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:15 PM

Thanks so much for the pattern Darski. I was wondering what it would be like made up in the suede yarn. It is very soft but stiff or I should say no give to it. I of course would have to use a bigger hook but my hubby does have a big head. What do you think?

#16 Hookmaster

Hookmaster
  • Villager
  • 309 posts

• Joined 04-April 07

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

This would look good done with a camo yarn

#17 Tweeb

Tweeb
  • Villager
  • 50 posts

• Joined 28-July 08

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

This is so cute! I'll definitely have to try it, I need more hats :D

#18 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,434 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks so much for the pattern Darski. I was wondering what it would be like made up in the suede yarn. It is very soft but stiff or I should say no give to it. I of course would have to use a bigger hook but my hubby does have a big head. What do you think?

That sounds like a good idea. :manyheart Post a pic when you get it done.

Please include your hook and yarn info for others. Thank you for a great idea for the pattern.

#19 michelledoyle

michelledoyle
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 15-February 11

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:28 AM

i have tried this hat and it works out great until i do the 'bill'
after i finish the 17 stitches across, then 17 more in rows 2 and 3... how many actual stitches am i left with at the end... 15 across?
i keep messing it up
and also.... is there any ch 1 anywhere before i start the next rows of the bill.... very frustrated!
my bill looks like its been in an accident... :P

#20 Monique39

Monique39
  • Villager
  • 18,044 posts

• Joined 01-February 08

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

Cute!