• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nichole615

nichole615
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 03-August 10

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hello! I was hoping I could get some help with a pattern I'm just starting. I have picked up most everything I know on my own, and no one around who can help me. :(

Here is how the pattern reads:

Row 2 (RS) Ch 1, sc in first st, fpdc around nxt st, sk st behind fpdc, *working in front lps, sc in ea of the nxt 2 sts, sk nxt 2 sts, 5 fpdc cable around next st, sk nxt 2 sts, sc in frt lp of ea nxt 2 sts, fpdc around next st**, sc in frt lp of ea nxt 3 sts, sk next st, 3 fpdc cable around nxt st, sk nxt st, sc in frt lp of ea nxt 3 st, fpdc around nxt st, rep from * around, ending last rep at **, sc in last st, turn.

I know what a fpdc/bpdc stitch is, but Im confused by the "cable." There is nothing in the stitch guide that explains more then how fpdc, no cable details.

Do I simple do 5 fpdc's around the same post? Is there a trick to it?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,419 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

it seems to me that the pattern should explain how to do it, there should be this info somewhere in the stitch guide, notes, or something. as far as I know, crochet cables aren't so standardized that no explanation would be needed.

What exactly is the pattern---what source is it from? if it's free online, you can link to it, or if it's from a book/magazine or a purchased pattern, tell us the title or source and the name of the pattern.
--Kathy
I'm Kaycrochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together at the Fulton MO public library Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 roundpeg

roundpeg
  • Villager
  • 180 posts

• Joined 06-July 10

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

I have no idea if this will help, but when I googled "cable stitch crochet", this video came up:

#4 nichole615

nichole615
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 03-August 10

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

It's a digital download pattern from Annie's Attic; Lisa's New and Easy Cable Afghans - Pine Valley.

It wasn't explained in the stitch guide in the back, but after looking for the umpteenth I did find it in the pattern notes. :blush It is just 5 fpdc's around st indicated.

Thanks for the help! LOL :lol

#5 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,419 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

Glad you found it! :)
--Kathy
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together at the Fulton MO public library Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#6 carovan

carovan
  • Villager
  • 2,921 posts

• Joined 27-January 07

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:49 AM

I'm glad that you figured it out. If you have any other problems, you can go to Lisa Naskrents support forum for help. http://www.crochetga...forum.php?f=432 She or one of the other testers will be happy to help you out.

Carolyn

#7 heatherg23

heatherg23
  • Villager
  • 36 posts

• Joined 19-February 09

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

Hi,

I do Post Stitches all the time, every day. In all the crochet tv shows and videos and patterns I've seen i've never heard of doing 5 individual post stitches around one post.

It probably means that you need to do 1FPDC around each of the next 5 stitches. If this pattern was written by the average person, like on a website or blog, they don't explain the way they should. People leave out all sorts of instructions. It's like doing shorthand. They EXPECT people to know what they mean and they shouldn't. It doesn't help a beginner or someone new to post stitches.

It kinda drives me nuts when people don't write patterns correctly. IF that's the problem.

See if that works for ya. Do a row and see if it works out. :)

Hope it does!!
Heather

#8 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,419 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

http://www.anniesatt...2313&cat_id=947
is it the green one in pic #8? just guessing based on the word pine in the name:lol
--Kathy

#9 nichole615

nichole615
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 03-August 10

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

@ Carovan - thanks for the link! I will definitely check out her website and maybe get further clarification.

@ Heather - I have never done multi post stitches around one post either, but Im sure
there are lots of things I've yet to do! :) It isnt a pattern from a blog, but that doesnt mean it cannot have errors!

@ Magic - That is the correct book, but its actually pictures #3 and #6

# 6 http://www.anniesatt...2313&slide_id=5

This gives a pretty good picture of the stitching, and what I've done looks nothing like that! LOL

#10 nichole615

nichole615
  • Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 03-August 10

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Carovan - I checked out the site you linked, and found a recent post with the EXACT same question! :lol

http://www.crochetga...b6abd31ba1d745c

I will continue on and hope for the best!

Thanks again for everyone's help! Very much appreciated! :)

#11 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,419 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

thanks! they are all pretty and look very intricate. sorry to hear yours doesn't look like the picture, hopefully you'll get an answer from Lisa:hook
--Kathy

#12 shoshin

shoshin
  • Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 26-March 11

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hello! I was hoping I could get some help with a pattern I'm just starting. I have picked up most everything I know on my own, and no one around who can help me. :(

Here is how the pattern reads:

Row 2 (RS) Ch 1, sc in first st, fpdc around nxt st, sk st behind fpdc, *working in front lps, sc in ea of the nxt 2 sts, sk nxt 2 sts, 5 fpdc cable around next st, sk nxt 2 sts, sc in frt lp of ea nxt 2 sts, fpdc around next st**, sc in frt lp of ea nxt 3 sts, sk next st, 3 fpdc cable around nxt st, sk nxt st, sc in frt lp of ea nxt 3 st, fpdc around nxt st, rep from * around, ending last rep at **, sc in last st, turn.

I know what a fpdc/bpdc stitch is, but Im confused by the "cable." There is nothing in the stitch guide that explains more then how fpdc, no cable details.

Do I simple do 5 fpdc's around the same post? Is there a trick to it?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi nichole615, were you able to get through the Pine Valley afghan?? I am having the same problems you encountered. I have gone to Lisa's blog (crochetgarden); have referred to the replies/suggestions you had from carovan/heather/magic to no avail. someone help please?

#13 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,286 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

Doing 5fpdc or 3fpdc around one stitch will create the cable design in the fabric.

From what I've read in your post it just sounds like the designer is labeling what the stitch will become.

#14 shoshin

shoshin
  • Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 26-March 11

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

:ty

Thank you RoseRed for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it. I will try your suggestion; this is my first time doing a 5fpdc or 3fpdc and find it hard to see the big picture, I hope it turns out right.

#15 guiness56

guiness56
  • Villager
  • 109 posts

• Joined 15-May 11

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

I have the same download and am working on the same pattern. It is definitely 5 fpdc around the same post.

#16 Kathy131

Kathy131
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 10-April 12

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi Nichole,
I am presently working on an afghan from that same book and have run into the same problem in understanding the meaning of 5fpdc stitch. Just wonder if you finished your afghan project from that cable crochet book and if you figured out the meaning of 5fpdc. Kathy131

#17 moonspinners

moonspinners
  • Villager
  • 2,772 posts

• Joined 04-June 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Hi Nichole,
I am presently working on an afghan from that same book and have run into the same problem in understanding the meaning of 5fpdc stitch. Just wonder if you finished your afghan project from that cable crochet book and if you figured out the meaning of 5fpdc. Kathy131

I have the same book and looking at the "Special Stitches" for the Pine Valley pattern, 5-fpdc cable means you do five front post double crochets around the SAME STITCH.

I just crocheted a swatch of 5-fpdc in the same stitch and it looks very pretty 'cause the top of the 5 fpdcs "fan" naturally.
Gleda