• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 momofgmd

momofgmd

• Villager
  • 785 posts

• Joined 20-April 05

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:09 AM

I am the type of person who uses one purse. I like to keep it organized and just so, and that is the purse I take everywhere with me. My problem is I can't find the exact purse to suit me, so I decided to try my hand at crocheting a purse. Does anyone have any suggestions about what type of yarn (thread, whatever) I should use that will last a long time with lots of use? I want to find just the right thing and not break the bank either. :think
Ruth
"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you."~Anonymous

my blog

Our photography website: chamberscreations.com

#2 mercy7

mercy7

• Villager
  • 847 posts

• Joined 30-June 05

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

i find that www.crochetpatterncentral.com is a good place to look for patterns. i have not made one so do not have the answer for you but check out their site and see if there is one there you like. :hug :hook
Sals
Sals blog please feel free to visit my blog and leave a message

#3 Cordelia

Cordelia

• Villager
  • 881 posts

• Joined 10-May 05

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:46 AM

When I make a purse I use good old RedHeart , usually three strands. It's durable and comes in a wide vareity of colors. And you can always fancy it up with fun fur or boa.

#4 natalie058

natalie058

• Villager
  • 1,817 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

I personally think that fulled purses are super cute, and simple to make... Very forgiving. And if you full them tightly enough, you don't have to worry about lining.

#5 origami

origami

• Villager
  • 301 posts

• Joined 29-June 05

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:20 PM

I am the type of person who uses one purse. I like to keep it organized and just so, and that is the purse I take everywhere with me. My problem is I can't find the exact purse to suit me, so I decided to try my hand at crocheting a purse. Does anyone have any suggestions about what type of yarn (thread, whatever) I should use that will last a long time with lots of use? I want to find just the right thing and not break the bank either. :think

If you do full a purse, you'll want to use a good 100 percent wool that is capable of fulling. Cascade 220 (not "superwash") is a good choice and reasonably affordable for wool that can be fulled. Lots of nice colors too.

#6 momofgmd

momofgmd

• Villager
  • 785 posts

• Joined 20-April 05

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. :tup Has anyone used nylon yarn? Does it hold up well?
Ruth
"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you."~Anonymous

my blog

Our photography website: chamberscreations.com

#7 antara

antara

• Villager
  • 1,391 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

I love nylon cord. It's a little rough on the fingers, but it looks so professional when it's worked up. The purse I made seemed to hold its shape fairly well, but I think it would probably be a good idea to line it if you make your purse out of this yarn.

[url="www.hookingalong.blogspot.com"]Free Crochet Patterns at Hooking Along -updated 5/21/12"URL]
2014 Original Patterns 0/10 ~ I'm gonna make it this year!

#8 Fanihi

Fanihi

• Villager
  • 20 posts

• Joined 04-August 05

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. :tup Has anyone used nylon yarn? Does it hold up well?

I've used nylon. It holds up really well. I didn't find it rough on my hands. I did find it very slippery and tempermental when it came to tension. It kept wanting to get tight, no matter what hook size I was using.

I didn't line my bag. The stitches were so tight using sc that nothing will poke out of that bag.