Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Mock Seed Stitch Clarification

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dawn128

Dawn128
  • Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 21-June 10

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

I have seen old posts for the Aran Toggle Wrap that I am attempting to create but have not seen this specific problem addressed. My problem begins at Row 4. To preface it the pattern reads:
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as st here and throughout), skip first
st, *Fpdc in next st, Bpdc in next st; repeat from * across to
last st; Fpdc around ch-2, turn – 148 sts.
Row 3: Ch 2, skip first st, *Bpdc in next st, Fpdc in next st,
repeat from * across to last st; Bpdc around ch-2, turn.
Row 4-17: Repeat Row 2-3 for Mock Seed st.
Does "Mock Seed" mean that rows 2 & 3 are repeating itself and that is considered the "Seed" stitch, or, is it the SC, DC stitch I have been reading about? I guess I don't understand why it says to repeat the rows if it is a different stitch.

I have never reached out for help before and usually would scrap the whole idea of the project however I love the look of this pattern and want to do it. I would appreciate any help.

Side Note: This site is amazing! I felt like I won something when I stumbled upon it.

#2 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,860 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'm pretty sure that row 2 and 3 repeated create the seed stitch.

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#3 Dawn128

Dawn128
  • Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 21-June 10

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will just go with that then. I truly appreciate the help. :-)

#4 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

The pattern says that the repeat of rows 2 and 3 creates the mock seed stitch. So for this pattern it is the mock seed stitch not what you have read else where. There is no standardization of stitch names for stitch patterns and what is the seed st to one person may be called something else by another, so go with what the pattern says. At least that is what I would do.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

The Threads to my heart are wrapped around a Hook
CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#5 happy stitcher

happy stitcher
  • Villager
  • 5,395 posts

• Joined 30-October 06

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

That's what it sounds like to me, too - repeat rows two and three, and call it the Mock Seed stitch. Later the pattern may say to do the Mock Seed stitch without telling you how, and if it does, go back to rows two and three.

Good luck! :cheer
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything.

My Craft Album

#6 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,493 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

What everybody said above.

The sc, dc stitch is one of my favorite textured stitches--the crochet.about.com site calls it an up-down stitch.

I've seen a sc, ch-1 called a seed stitch and woven stitch. And there are about a gazillion ways to make a shell stitch...

Granny Square

#7 Dawn128

Dawn128
  • Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 21-June 10

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

I only wish I would've left all my stitches in place until AFTER I read the replies! lol Oh well, at least now I'm sure I'm doing it correctly. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond.

#8 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,860 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

hope to see pictures of the finished project soon!!

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln