• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lhilt

lhilt
  • Villager
  • 11 posts

• Joined 04-May 10

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

I am trying to do a ripple afghan for my wife and am having a bit of an issue with it. The actual pattern itself is nowhere near as difficult, in my opinion, as interpreting the instructions for it. I've done many other patterns which were far more difficult without issue, however Its really bending my mind at the moment. (possibly Im just so frustrated that I cannot see the forest for the trees!)

For fear of Copyright or whatever issues, I'll simply post snippets of pattern Im confused about, and then the link to the free pattern which only requires an email address for registration.

The pattern (which is the same as the one in the book I'm using verbatim) is located at http://www.bernat.co...rn.php?PID=4618

Apologies in advance for the length of this post !

So the instructions note "First and Last SC of each row is left unworked" ... I read this to mean the pattern starts at Single Crochet 2 and end at the Second to last SC of each row.

The foundation chain is 225 long, and the first row (after skipping the first chain from the hook) has a total of 224 stitches.
The Second row has you repeating a pattern (ripple) over and over until the last Single Crochet and then simply turn WITHOUT CHAIN (HUH?)... (My question -- Do you actually SC in that final one or skip as the note says?)
The third and 4th rows start with Slip Stitches in the first 2 single crochets --- (My question --- Are these the first two AFTER skipping the first and leaving unworked?)

The worst part about the pattern is that even though the NOTE says "First and Last SC of each row is unworked", only the instruction for rows 1, 3, and 4 mention leaving the last SC unworked. the Second row Says to go until the final SC.

I went by the note and by the time I got to the third color the basic shape was right, but I got concerned with the fact the edging would be pulling ever shortening rows out.

The final question I have is whether or not the two slip stitches after every turn, then the SC in the same space as the second SL ST counts as 2 SC, 1 1/2 sc or what when you're working the pattern.

My questions probably confuse more than illustrate. Ive worked this 3 times and ripped it back out three times. THere's something SMALL im missing, I just dont know what it is.

I sincerely thank everyone in advance for their help!

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,579 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

I am going to suggest that you use a different pattern. this one seems overly complicated to me. the edges are the challenging part of ripple patterns, in my experience. Simple is better;) and leaving sts unworked is not simple IMHO for this kind of pattern.

if you look for a pattern that others here have done, then you know that at least someone has successfully used it, and you can get feedback from those w/ experience.

there is a ripple CAL that you might want to look at

other ripple patterns
http://www.crochetvi...=quickie ripple is sc in back loop only
http://www.handcraft...pat-ripple.html is dc
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,586 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

I feel the same as the other poster. If you want a fast easy ripple this one at the ville is great, I have done a few of them and they are goof proof.

http://www.crochetvi...=quickie ripple

#4 MouseCLP

MouseCLP
  • Villager
  • 361 posts

• Joined 29-November 09

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

Wow, this is really pretty, but the pattern is a bit confusing. I think they've over-explained.

You're correct in that "First and last sc of each row is left unworked" means that your rows of sc will start in the 2nd sc and end in the next-to-last sc. (Personally, I wouldn't do it that way -- instead, at the beginning of each row I'd do a turning chain 1, sc in the first st and skip the 2nd, then at the end of each row I'd skip the next-to-last stitch and sc in the last stitch. I think the skipped first and last stitches would make for a raggedy edge, but that's just me.)

The second row ends in the next-to-last stitch (because the last st would be one of the two that you'd skip anyway) and you turn without a turning chain. Instead you're going to sl st in the first st because you don't want to add any height in that stitch-- not really 'skipping' it, but not putting a sc in it. You'll sl st in the second st and then do your chain 1 to get your yarn up to the height you need and put your first sc of row 3 in the same (second) stitch. Your chain 1 doesn't count as a stitch, just like a turning chain wouldn't count.

In essence, if you take the note "First and last sc of each row is left unworked" to mean 'don't sc into the first or last stitch' you'll be all right. The main thing to remember when doing a ripple is to count, count, count. Each point should have the same number of sc (in this case, either 10 or 5, depending on which point you're doing at the time) on both the uphill side and the downhill side.

HTH, and good luck!

<snipped for brevity> I am trying to do a ripple afghan for my wife and am having a bit of an issue with it.
The pattern is located at http://www.bernat.co...rn.php?PID=4618

So the instructions note "First and Last SC of each row is left unworked" ... I read this to mean the pattern starts at Single Crochet 2 and end at the Second to last SC of each row.

The Second row has you repeating a pattern (ripple) over and over until the last Single Crochet and then simply turn WITHOUT CHAIN (HUH?)... (My question -- Do you actually SC in that final one or skip as the note says?)
The third and 4th rows start with Slip Stitches in the first 2 single crochets --- (My question --- Are these the first two AFTER skipping the first and leaving unworked?)

The worst part about the pattern is that even though the NOTE says "First and Last SC of each row is unworked", only the instruction for rows 1, 3, and 4 mention leaving the last SC unworked. the Second row Says to go until the final SC.

I went by the note and by the time I got to the third color the basic shape was right, but I got concerned with the fact the edging would be pulling ever shortening rows out.

The final question I have is whether or not the two slip stitches after every turn, then the SC in the same space as the second SL ST counts as 2 SC, 1 1/2 sc or what when you're working the pattern.

Carol in NC
2012 Stashbusting: WTD -4 YTD +48
2011 Stashbusting: YTD -20 2010: YTD +47 http://www.flickr.com/photos/mouseclp/

#5 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,579 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

Carol, that's very informative! :hook

What a weird way to manage the edges. And I didn't even notice that the ripples are not all the same...d'oh!
--Kathy
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#6 lhilt

lhilt
  • Villager
  • 11 posts

• Joined 04-May 10

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Wow, this is really pretty, but the pattern is a bit confusing. I think they've over-explained.

I completely agree. When I can take a filet pattern and complete it successfully and have issues with this, There's something wrong!

You're correct in that "First and last sc of each row is left unworked" means that your rows of sc will start in the 2nd sc and end in the next-to-last sc. (Personally, I wouldn't do it that way -- instead, at the beginning of each row I'd do a turning chain 1, sc in the first st and skip the 2nd, then at the end of each row I'd skip the next-to-last stitch and sc in the last stitch. I think the skipped first and last stitches would make for a raggedy edge, but that's just me.)

So in this pattern's example, after the first row where I fasten off, I'd start in with the next color in what was essentially stitch number 223 of the previous row, then follow the pattern across. The second row should end the last set of 9 SC in the next to last SC correct?

The second row ends in the next-to-last stitch (because the last st would be one of the two that you'd skip anyway) and you turn without a turning chain. Instead you're going to sl st in the first st because you don't want to add any height in that stitch-- not really 'skipping' it, but not putting a sc in it. You'll sl st in the second st and then do your chain 1 to get your yarn up to the height you need and put your first sc of row 3 in the same (second) stitch. Your chain 1 doesn't count as a stitch, just like a turning chain wouldn't count.

I think it just dawned on me thanks to you! (just deleted an entire paragraph of questions ha!) When you turn after the second row, you actually slip stitch the actual first SC of the row, NOT the first SC from the hook right? So when you turn you actually slip stitch behind the hook, then back to the SC you ended the previous row on, then SC in that same space.
So knowing this, when you turn on the third and fourth rows, do you Slip Stitch in the previous rows' first slip stitch and then the SC that shares the space with the other slip stitch?

In essence, if you take the note "First and last sc of each row is left unworked" to mean 'don't sc into the first or last stitch' you'll be all right. The main thing to remember when doing a ripple is to count, count, count. Each point should have the same number of sc (in this case, either 10 or 5, depending on which point you're doing at the time) on both the uphill side and the downhill side.
HTH, and good luck!

Mouse, Thank you so much! Im trying to get this done before my wife's Aug 28 due date, and you might just have helped me do that. I learned to crochet very young from my grandmother, and being a guy I never picked it back up not only because I had so many other hobbies, but because I worried what others thought.

Now that Im in my thirties I started making things again, (blankets for my new baby, for my aunt-in-law, etc) and my wife said she'd never had anyone make something for her. I figure at 33, who cares what people think about what I do right? Plus there is a much larger community of men who do this than I thought!

THanks again!
Lee

#7 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,579 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

Lee, that is very sweet that you are making this for your wife:cheer

Glad you're able to get some answers here:hook
--Kathy

#8 MouseCLP

MouseCLP
  • Villager
  • 361 posts

• Joined 29-November 09

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

snipping again for brevity...
So in this pattern's example, after the first row where I fasten off, I'd start in with the next color in what was essentially stitch number 223 of the previous row, then follow the pattern across. The second row should end the last set of 9 SC in the next to last SC correct?

Correct, and since you did a sc in the space before the last 9sc, you'll still have 10 sc on that side of the point.

When you turn after the second row, you actually slip stitch the actual first SC of the row, NOT the first SC from the hook right? So when you turn you actually slip stitch behind the hook, then back to the SC you ended the previous row on, then SC in that same space.

I'm not following what you're saying, but once you turn, you be slip stitching in what was the last stitch (and next to last st) of the previous row.

So knowing this, when you turn on the third and fourth rows, do you Slip Stitch in the previous rows' first slip stitch and then the SC that shares the space with the other slip stitch?

Each time you turn, you're going to sl st in the first two sc stitches, which were the last two sc's of the previous row. Then you're going to chain 1 and do the first sc of your new row in the same st as the second sl st (which was the next-to-last st of your previous row). That sc, plus one in each of the next 8 sts plus the first one of your corner (sc, ch 2, sc) makes your first 10 sts.

Mouse, Thank you so much! Im trying to get this done before my wife's Aug 28 due date, and you might just have helped me do that. I learned to crochet very young from my grandmother, and being a guy I never picked it back up not only because I had so many other hobbies, but because I worried what others thought.
Now that Im in my thirties I started making things again, (blankets for my new baby, for my aunt-in-law, etc) and my wife said she'd never had anyone make something for her. I figure at 33, who cares what people think about what I do right? Plus there is a much larger community of men who do this than I thought!

You're more than welcome! Like I said, that pattern is somewhat confusing the way it's written. You're lucky that your grandmother taught you to crochet so you'd be aware of it when you got old enough to appreciate it. Do you plan to pass it on to your next generation?

Be sure to post a pic once your blanket is done.
Carol in NC

#9 lhilt

lhilt
  • Villager
  • 11 posts

• Joined 04-May 10

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Sorry for the prolonged absence, but Mouse, your instructions are spot on! Im 2/3 the way finished (amazing how much less time I have when I have to prepare work for me taking paternity leave, 2 girls to get back to school, and a baby on the way in mere days)! Anyhow, re-reading what I posted about crocheting behind the hook, ive ZERO clue what I meant. However, I followed your cues to the letter and the edges are straight, and the gauge is exactly spot on!

I hate the way the edges are turning out, (kinda lumpy) and I have no clue how I am going to cover that up since the edging instructions are just as cruddy as the rest of the instructions, but I figure i'll do something to make it right. As soon as I finish it, (im finishing set 5 of the 8 repeats (well 7 complete and then the repeat of all but the final row to make 8) I'll take a picture and post it here. *I* like my color palette , hope others will as well.

Anyhow, again sorry for being so long from posting, and I certainly thank you again for all the help youve given me. I look foward to sharing my work. And yes, I plan to pass the skill down to the next generation as well... we currently are having 'workshops' as a family where I teach my wife, 10 year old daughter, and 5 year old daughter (as much as she'll pay attention) slowly. Its a great experience for the family as a whole! ( and teaches concentration and listening to the kids!)

#10 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,586 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

The edging is just single crochet on either side so pretty simple. Gald it's coming along with your plate so full. This is a good learning lesson that this pattern is not the best so you don't have to do it again and can find something else. Sometimes I have to go through 5 or sick patterns of something until I find one that works with my brain. Mary

#11 MouseCLP

MouseCLP
  • Villager
  • 361 posts

• Joined 29-November 09

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

Sorry for the prolonged absence, but Mouse, your instructions are spot on! Im 2/3 the way finished...

LOL I've been gone from this thread forever, myself. Glad I was able to assist you. We definitely want pics of the finished project, preferably wrapped around the other finished project that your wife is delivering! :yay
Carol in NC

#12 annmcc1976

annmcc1976
  • Villager
  • 3,243 posts

• Joined 29-August 09

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

that is going to be one pretty blanket!... and There is nothing wrong with a male crochetin.
I have a 68 yr old uncle who crochets and has for as long as I can remember (im 33). so My entire life I've known him to be a crocheter.. I guess my Grandmother taught him. he also loves to sew, make jewelry, stain glass, he is aways eager to pick up a new craft!.

I plan on teaching my son to crochet someday.. he has asked if he could.. and I told him sure.. but then he says. "wont i get made fun of for doing a Gradma and girly thing" told him. Well Uncle Jimmy Crochets rite... and he said YUP.. but he said when he's ready he'll tell me lol.

GL post pics when it's finished
MY UPDATED WISHLIST (click here) Friendship square UPDATE on new board
~ Nov 2009"Shawl Lady" / up & away Ami Ownr!/ pink beaded mesh bag winner
TLC Tote owner :)
-MY ETSY