Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Red Heart Luster Sheen---question!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rascalsmom

rascalsmom
  • Villager
  • 1,192 posts

• Joined 12-November 06

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

I am making something that calls for Luster Sheen, and I am having a hard time finding it locally! Is there another yarn I can substitute? I believe Luster Sheen is a "weight" of 2.

This is frustrating!!!
Melissa
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he can never lose. Jim Elliot

#2 heart

heart
  • Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

I also can never seem to find lustersheen. I test for a crochet desiger and she uses size 3 thread, (Aunt Lydias in Walmart it's by the Peaches N cream cotton yarn) it's thicker than the regular #10 thread that you'd make doilies with. The size 3 thread is comparable to the lustersheen. Paton's Grace is a substitute as well and has a softer feel than size 3 thread. You can get Paton's grace at Michaels and the size 3 thread sells at Walmart, Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I buy mine at all 3 of those stores. I'm not sure what stores are in your area, but AC More and JoAnns should also have these as well. Hope I was able to help. :U

SarahSweethearts.blogspot.com
I believe everyday is a gift from God, even the trying ones. I hope you have a Beautiful Day!

#3 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,598 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have some of that and to me it's more like a soft thread than a yarn and the website does say 2. Joanne's has it on sale right now and last time I ordered from them a few months ago I got free shipping. It comes in beautiful colors but our local store only has it in light olive green. I have no clue what to compare it to so hopefully someone will know. Mary

#4 grandmalolly

grandmalolly
  • Villager
  • 1,552 posts

• Joined 11-November 07

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

www.knitting-warehouse.com you can find it here, too. I've ordered from this company, and shipping is a bit high, I think, but service is great!
Lolly

#5 rascalsmom

rascalsmom
  • Villager
  • 1,192 posts

• Joined 12-November 06

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Well here's what I did. I went to Joann's--nothing there. Then I went to Michaels, and they didn't have LusterSheen either. So I bought some Lion Microspun and some RH Designer Sport, which are both a "3" weight. It will just have to work! All the yarn I bought was less than $10 as it was all on clearance....I would've paid WAY more than that to order the LusterSheen from anywhere.

BTW, I am making a Red Heart pattern, it's a heart-shaped candy box with candies and the candies are what are supposed to be made out of the Luster Sheen.
Melissa
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he can never lose. Jim Elliot