• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Minathia

Minathia

• Villager
  • 179 posts

• Joined 12-February 07

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

I'm designing a blanket for my hubby, and it's going to be 29 by 19 squares. I think that a 2 inch square would be perfect, because that would give me 4'10" by 3'2". I haven't ever made a full blanket before, and I need a good simple pattern for the granny squares. Each one will be a solid color.

I don't want to give away the full design until I'm done :) I promise it will be great though.

Do you think 2" is a good size? And better yet do you know where I can find such a pattern?

#2 jleinhauser

jleinhauser

• Villager
  • 972 posts

• Joined 03-May 07

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

Have you ever made a granny square afghan before? Are you sure you really want to put together that many tiny squares? If that's what you really want, you can use any traditional granny pattern and work until you get a 2" square, probably only two rounds if you use worsted weight yarn.

And also, think about all those yarn ends to weave in!

Jean Leinhauser

#3 muise

muise

• Villager
  • 366 posts

• Joined 28-October 09

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

yes doing alot of little granny squares have lots of little ends. Be prepared for sewing them in.

any basic granny will work. I can get a 2 inch square from using a 5mm hook and worst weighted yarn. You only need 2 rounds.

#4 teakaycee

teakaycee

• Villager
  • 7,831 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

You might take a peek here.... it will help you decide your size of squares... :U
http://www.crochetca...anny_square.htm

:heart
:mug

<><Tam

blog: Coffee n' Crafts

online store: Coffee n' Crafts

.::Proud Navy Mom::.

Collecting: Round Ripple Prayer Blankets ~Stocking caps ~12"squares

Wish List - group 8 - post 19

*Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Prov. 3:5 & 6

#5 Minathia

Minathia

• Villager
  • 179 posts

• Joined 12-February 07

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for all the help! Yes I'm sure it needs to be that small. The pattern is going to show a picture at the end of it all, with each square being a specific color - kind of a paint by numbers sort of thing. I might go up to 2.5 inches and have a larger blanket. I'll go make some test squares now. :)

#6 teakaycee

teakaycee

• Villager
  • 7,831 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the help! Yes I'm sure it needs to be that small. The pattern is going to show a picture at the end of it all, with each square being a specific color - kind of a paint by numbers sort of thing. I might go up to 2.5 inches and have a larger blanket. I'll go make some test squares now. :)

have you been over to this thread........
http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43064
this might be the place to get help.. and chat about the blanket you're wanting to make!

:heart
:mug

<><Tam

blog: Coffee n' Crafts

online store: Coffee n' Crafts

.::Proud Navy Mom::.

Collecting: Round Ripple Prayer Blankets ~Stocking caps ~12"squares

Wish List - group 8 - post 19

*Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Prov. 3:5 & 6

#7 Minathia

Minathia

• Villager
  • 179 posts

• Joined 12-February 07

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thanks, I'm heading over there now.

#8 vonnie

vonnie

• Villager
  • 2,546 posts

• Joined 29-December 06

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

sounds like fun, I have a friend who does that with fabric....what is your picture if you don't mind my asking:blush

****VONNIE****

Winner of the 1st "Spoil me giveaway" from Kidget......THANKS

Winner of the "Bed Doll Society" patterns Thanks minx1966200

Vonnie's Travelghan Free Pattern

http://www.crochetvi...ead.php?t=58455

Picot Coaster Free Pattern

http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=102748

#9 Minathia

Minathia

• Villager
  • 179 posts

• Joined 12-February 07

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

Well I was going to do cloud from FFVII but now I'm doing a picture of Link from Zelda. I'm just gald I asked Hubby which he'd like before I started!