Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

What is the difference between........

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arlinka

Arlinka
  • Villager
  • 2,384 posts

• Joined 09-December 08

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:13 AM

I need some help!!!! :think
After all the years of crochet/knit I've done and all the creations I have made, I am now wondering if I have called them the proper names.

What is the difference between:

afghan....... blanket....... throw

Is it just terminology or is there a real difference between them?

If there is a real difference, what is it?

Thanks for your help. :manyheart

#2 happy stitcher

happy stitcher
  • Villager
  • 5,395 posts

• Joined 30-October 06

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

Well, a "throw" is smaller.... but it's not for babies....a small afghan intended for babies is commonly called a baby blanket.

I've always kind of figured that an "afghan" and a "blanket" are the same - except that by saying "afghan" it's more descriptive. A "blanket" can be made from anything.

That's my take on it, anyway. :shrug
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything.

My Craft Album

#3 Gran

Gran
  • Villager
  • 3,347 posts

• Joined 15-December 05

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

To me, a blanket is larger than a throw or an afghan, unless there is a qualifying adjective, such as "baby blanket". To me, a blanket is something that must hang over the edge of the bed as a bedspread does. A throw is something one can reach for easily and toss off easily.

But, maybe these terms are like "soda", "soda pop", and "pop".

I've never been able to decide if a throw and an afghan are the same thing, the same size, or ???

I do think of a lap blanket or lap robe as being smaller than a throw or an afghan.

Perhaps an afghan was originally made with a particular kind of stitch, and the name is now generic for a throw.

Maybe one of the historians will post.

Edited by Gran, 21 November 2009 - 09:20 AM.

Please use only my C'ville name "GRAN" in your posts. Thanks.
To our mothers, our grandmothers, and their mothers...(Avatar photo is by courtesy the American Press.)

May you be blessed with warmth in your home, love in your heart, peace in your soul, and joy in your life.

#4 faedragon

faedragon
  • Villager
  • 743 posts

• Joined 21-February 06

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

According to the dictionary:

blanket:a large, rectangular piece of soft fabric, often with bound edges, used esp. for warmth as a bed covering

afghan: a soft woolen blanket,crocheted or knitted.....

the basic difference : to be an afghan it must be crocheted or knitted. That requirement is not specified for a blanket.A blanket usually has binding around the edges, an afghan does not.

and finally:

throw: a light blanket, as for use when reclining on a sofa; afghan

so saith the dictionary

Edited by faedragon, 21 November 2009 - 11:49 PM.

#5 Y.Marie

Y.Marie
  • Villager
  • 134 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

Just putting my 2 cents in,lol
To me a throw can be a babies blanket except heavier yarns for throws and lighter yarns for babies blanket. While an afghan can be big to cover people and put over a bed to cover it or regular size to just cover one's self. I think that's called a throw.
Y.Marie

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,342 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

Adding my 2 cents here, the way I see it is .....

A blanket is big. Big enough to cover a bed and hang over the edges. (depends on the bed)

An afghan is your standard sized crochet piece. (4x6 ft)

A throw is smaller than an afghan. Something you can 'throw' over you easily. (3x5)

A lapghan and a baby ghan to me are the same size. (3x4 feet)

These are the standards that I work to. Everyone has a different idea of what's what.

#7 moggy

moggy
  • Villager
  • 477 posts

• Joined 02-March 08

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

To me a throw is something used on a peice of furnature i.e. bed or sofa. A blanket is used on a person to snuggle into. I only learned about 'afghans' here as we do not call blankets afghans in this part of the UK - not sure about other parts of the UK!! :hook
Moggy xx The Creative Cat

#8 Ellie 13

Ellie 13
  • Villager
  • 1,643 posts

• Joined 19-March 06

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

Afghan: crochet or knit from yarn (wool or acrylic), sizes can vary: 35 (+/-) in. (baby). 3 1/2 X 5 ft. (child/teen). 5 X 6 ft. (adult). Can be square or rectangle.
Blanket: piece of material made from woven threads (cotton, wool, etc.) with ribbon bound edges. Same sizes as afghans.
Lap/Throws: personal afghan/blanket, just big enough for 1. 3 X 5 ft. Thrown over the lap, legs or shoulders.
Quilt: 2 blankets sewn together with filler in between. Mostly made from scraps of material sewn together in unique patterns. Same sizes as afghans.
I don't care what you call them, if it keeps you warm and toasty :manyheart, that's all that counts :lol
Ellie 13

Afghan crocheters get wrapped up in their work.
2014 Stash Busting: WTD: + 2  YTD: + 136

2007: +304. 2008: +328. 2009: +171. 2010: +128.

2011: +186. 2012: + 103. 2013: + 90

#9 stitchgirl

stitchgirl
  • Villager
  • 2,179 posts

• Joined 05-April 07

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

I have never thought of a blanket (except for baby blanket) as something made from yarn, to me that is an afghan. A throw in my mind could be crocheted, knitted or made of fabric, but smaller in size than an afghan or blanket. Then a lapghan to me is a small afghan. I think baby blanket speaks for itself.

Cathy