• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roli

Roli

• Villager
  • 4,534 posts

• Joined 15-November 05

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:51 AM

If you are interested in making a rolled edge on your project, you’ll be happy to know that it’s very easy to do. You will need knowledge of the front post and back post double crochet stitches. There are two ways to work the rolled edge. You can work in a round or turn your work at the end of the row.

To work in a round:

Row 1: With right side facing you, dc around edge of your project. Join to first dc with a sl st. Ch2.
Row 2: FPDC around post of next dc (mark this stitch with a stitch marker) and around post of ea dc to end. ch 2.
Row 3: FPDC around post of st with marker, re-insert marker in that st, FPDC around post of every dc to end. ch2.
Repeat row 3 until fabric curls under as much as you would like. Fasten off.

To work in rows:

Row 1: With right side facing you, dc along edge of your project to end of row, ch 2, turn
Row 2: BPDC around post of next dc and around post of ea dc to end. ch2, turn
Row 3: FPDC around post of next dc and around post of ea dc to end. Ch2, turn.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until your roll is as wide as you want it. Fasten off.

Note: In the photo below, I used Red Heart Soft yarn and a size H crochet hook. The 1st photo shows the roll made with post double crochet stitches and the second one shows the roll worked with post half-double crochet stitches. Also, you can make your roll as thick as you want–just keep putting post stitches on top of each other until your edge curls nicely.

Variations: Experiment with the post stitches. The post double crochet stitches make a loose roll while the post half-double crochet stitches make a very tight roll.

Attached Thumbnails

• DC roll1.jpg
  • HDC roll1.jpg

Edited by Roli, 07 November 2009 - 04:41 AM.
Added clearer photos

#2 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb

• Villager
  • 7,242 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

How cool is that! Thanks for sharing with us...I will definitely being using this edge on things!!!

Deb
Bag Lady #52 Miss Liberty 2010

#3 Roli

Roli

• Villager
  • 4,534 posts

• Joined 15-November 05

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:57 AM

This design works better on a straight edge. A gal over at Ravelry called my attention to the fact that it won't look so good going around a corner but you can use it at the ends of sleeves and on necklines.

Also, if you use sc post stitches or hdc post stitches instead of dc post stitches, your roll will be smaller and tighter.

#4 Monique39

Monique39

• Villager
  • 18,044 posts

• Joined 01-February 08

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:02 AM

oh I love that look.. thank you!!