Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

harley davidson orange

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crochet.sandie

crochet.sandie
  • Villager
  • 470 posts

• Joined 08-June 05

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

I was asked to make an afghan in Harley Davidson colors of black and orange. The person chose an orange color from the Internet and when it came in I sent her a sample. She says it is way too light so I need to find a different orange / pumpkin or whatever yarn. I need worsted weight acrylic yarn to match the Red Heart classic the black squares are done with.

If anyone is familiar with Harley Davidson colors and know what shade would match best in Red Heart or any other yarn I can order online, I'd appreciate it. The squares are already made. The orange is for a jayg and it needs to be done for Christmas.

I hesitate to just order the yarn because I really have no use for the 7 skeins of orange yarn I now have.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sandie
crochet.sandie@gmail.com

#2 badrhinogillett

badrhinogillett
  • Villager
  • 2,631 posts

• Joined 12-November 05

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

I bought the Red Heart Pumpkin color at Joanns. I think it would work well for Harley Orange. In fact, my DH has been asking for a Harley ghan and I made a mental note to remember this color if I ever get around to making him one!

Kathryn

Can you help me give afghans to NICU babies for Christmas?

Bag Lady XLVI - Lavender Love
December 2009 Potholder - Gingerbreadman
My Wish List Group 12

#3 countrykids

countrykids
  • Villager
  • 217 posts

• Joined 09-December 07

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

your right, harley colors remind me of halloween colors, so it has to be a pumpkin color. I've also seen pink and white for harley and grey and black too. (my dh is a biker)

#4 cshell

cshell
  • Villager
  • 828 posts

• Joined 13-June 08

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

I have some RH Pumpkin and some Bernat Super Value in Carrot. I could send you a grannie's daughter in each and you could let her pick.

To me the RH is super bright and the Bernat is a deeper orange.

PM if you would like my help or if you need additional information. :hook
~ Shelley ~

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,350 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

Caron Pounder Orange.

It's thick for 4plyww arcylic but the color is PERFECT!

#6 crochet.sandie

crochet.sandie
  • Villager
  • 470 posts

• Joined 08-June 05

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

Thank you all. I took your suggestions and looked up those colors and found some others. Then I went to Paint Shop Pro. Using the Harley Davidson logo my daughter found online, plus a photo of an HD blanket the person had, I determined the Red, Green, Blue numbers. I took a bit of each sample from the yarn sites, determined which came close using the numbers, and put a stripe next to the originals. That's it in a nutshell but it took hours to come up with the process cos I'm slow. LOL

Anyway, she decided on the Bernat Super Value Carrot. Tangerine and Deep Orange were also very close.

The thing with yarn is that it is not the "same" color throughout. There are variations in shade, even in a solid color yarn, when you put them in a photo program.

Here is a sample of what I did if I can remember how to do photos.

http://pic16.picture...8/376088370.jpg

Okay, that didn't work, but there is the picture all the same. You just have to click on the link. If I can figure it out, I'll edit the post again.

Edited by crochet.sandie, 15 October 2009 - 09:27 AM.

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,350 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

The only problem with pictures is that you really don't get a true and accurate color. Depending on which website and which computer I'm on changes the hue. I think Joanns probably comes closest to the actual color.

The best thing that you can do is to take something Harley with you and go to a yarn store.

My hubby is a Harley freak. Red Heart puts out a Halloween orange but it's next to impossible to find during the year. That's why I went with the Caron Pounder - it's always available.

It's the best orange for Florida Gator (I live in gator country) stuff too. And the Royal Blue from Red Heart. Which is an awful combination because the orange is thick and the blue is thin.

Good luck with it and let us know which one you choose.

#8 crochet.sandie

crochet.sandie
  • Villager
  • 470 posts

• Joined 08-June 05

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

I ordered both the Caron orange and the Bernat carrot. We passed two Harley Davidson dealerships on our vacation this past week and although it was from a distance I looked hard at the colors. LOL I think either of these would work. The difference is very slight. The orange is just a tad brighter so I chose the carrot to do the border. It seemed to me the closer without having anything in hand to compare it to. I think it will be close enough for our purpose anyway.

Thanks for all your help ladies. I'd have never found these yarns without you.

#9 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,350 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

YVW. I can't wait to see the finished product!