• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vickylynne

vickylynne
  • Villager
  • 29 posts

• Joined 27-May 09

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:19 AM

I am looking for a bookmark pattern that has more of a boy theme. I have made footballs and snakes for boys, I also have shells, butterfly, granny squares and flowers. I am making these for a friend who is a reading teacher for the middle school. She wants to give them as Christmas presents to encourage reading. I just checked my local craft stores and they had no pattern books at this time. I am trying to make each one different and have several for girls but boys are the problem. There is only so much I can do to change a football pattern to make them different. If you have any ideas I would be very happy and jumping for joy.

#2 Minderella83

Minderella83
  • Villager
  • 1,044 posts

• Joined 21-July 09

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

How about frogs?
Mindy K. from Florida

#3 Apak

Apak
  • Villager
  • 2,290 posts

• Joined 02-August 09

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

I would make cars or trains (or are the boys too old for it?). Make a long chain, then dcs along and back to make the car's form. (So the length of the bookmark is the car's length), then add to circles as the wheels. I am not sure if it is clear - I can try and draw it later ;)
Anna

#4 vickylynne

vickylynne
  • Villager
  • 29 posts

• Joined 27-May 09

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

The middle school is 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, about 10 to 13 year olds. My boys are a little older and do not like crochet or reading.

#5 cindyy8s

cindyy8s
  • Villager
  • 75 posts

• Joined 11-December 08

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

How about this? http://www.lionbrand...ns/80356AD.html
Cindy

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. -- Winston Churchill

#6 quiet dissident

quiet dissident
  • Villager
  • 290 posts

• Joined 18-December 08

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

How about lizards and turtles?

http://www.etsy.com/...ing_id=30062776
-----
Funding my yarn habit...

2009 swaps: Summer scarf swap, Faux can be fun, kit swap, bookmark swap, winter scarf swap (can't wait!)

#7 vickylynne

vickylynne
  • Villager
  • 29 posts

• Joined 27-May 09

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for your help. I appreciate all of your ideas and help finding other pattens.

#8 leaette

leaette
  • Villager
  • 735 posts

• Joined 28-June 07

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

do a search here on the ville. for a "dragon applique". just add a longer tail on it and it's a bookmark. i've made a few of them and they are super easy.

i have also made it in red with an orange tail and glued a white crystal on it's eye. looks like the phoenix in the harry potter movies. i made one for a friend who loves harry potter and she loved it.
my blog: www.myvintagecrochet.com
my WISH list
my ETSY store

#9 leaette

leaette
  • Villager
  • 735 posts

• Joined 28-June 07

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

here is the dragon link
http://www.crochetvi...dragon bookmark
my blog: www.myvintagecrochet.com
my WISH list
my ETSY store

#10 chrissyf

chrissyf
  • Villager
  • 2,282 posts

• Joined 30-December 06

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

i havef ound that if you take a yarn fridgie pattern like the bull frog fridgie and make it in szie 10 thread they make great bookmarks..i added a red chain of around 100 and slip stitiched back up it added a tassell and some black pony beads attached it to the face it looks like the frogs tongue is flattened in the book and the black beads represent the flies he was catching. Also this skull pattern without the glowing part with a white chain and tassell make a great one for boys.
One thing to remember that i learned since coming to the ville...anything you can make in ww yarn you can make in size 10 thread to make it smaller. add a long chain and tassel and you have a pretty neat bookmark that won't break the binding of a book (the schools really appreciate this)

Chrissy
please feel free to pin my photos on pintrest!

Proud Mom of a US Army Soldier

#11 kgettig

kgettig
  • Villager
  • 23 posts

• Joined 05-April 09

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

Maybe a Harry Potter scarf bookmark or one done in school colors: http://www.lionbrand...ns/70504AD.html
This one might also work. Nice texture:
http://thecrochetdud...e-bookmark.html

This thread has been very helpful to me, too. I have a slew of feminine bookmarks, but wanted ideas to make for men and boys. Great ideas!

#12 kgettig

kgettig
  • Villager
  • 23 posts

• Joined 05-April 09

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

How about a pizza slice bookmark?
http://www.sgerhart.....com/pizza.html

#13 vickylynne

vickylynne
  • Villager
  • 29 posts

• Joined 27-May 09

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for all of your ideas. I have made several and am still looking for more patterns. I have also done hairpin lace bookmarks and baseballs with the bat as the string portion of the bookmark. Our local library is also selling bookmarks that I have made and the money is going to the building fund. If you have any that are made and would like to donate you can contact me and I will package them up for the library. Thank you so much for all of your help.

#14 Swayde

Swayde
  • Villager
  • 1,374 posts

• Joined 22-March 05

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

For guys I've done their names in block letters in fillet crochet, you could do some with the school mascot.
~Barbara Anne~
Current WIP's
63 Squares CAL - 47 of 63 Squares - Started 04/25/06
Gingerbread House - Started 11/14/09
Baby Ripple Blanket - Started 8/8/10

Bucs Graph Ghan - 62 of 160 rows - Started 7/27/10
Wish List #14 post #2

#15 CraftyMel

CraftyMel
  • Villager
  • 171 posts

• Joined 07-November 09

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

wow! Great ideas ladies! I have saved them all lol(like the pattern addict I am) TFS Everyone:hook
~CraftyMel~ a.k.a Melanie
To do: baby hats for church charity collection, 2 pairs slippers(1 complete), kitchen sets and blanket
2010 Wishlist Group 14 Post #13
Now A Proud Owner of a Jimbo "I" Hook