Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

single double crochet (sdc)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 needsomehelp

needsomehelp
  • Villager
  • 26 posts

• Joined 25-May 05

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:20 PM

A friend has come across this stitch in a pattern and I don't have a clue..can anyone help..thanks..

#2 Catana

Catana
  • Villager
  • 486 posts

• Joined 27-March 05

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

Not a clue here, either. Maybe a misprint? Any idea where the pattern comes from? Maybe it's a European or other term.

#3 needsomehelp

needsomehelp
  • Villager
  • 26 posts

• Joined 25-May 05

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

she got the pattern from www.crochetpatterncentral.com don't know which one but I to think it is a miss print..thanks Hey I went there and found this

Double Single Crochet Stitch (dsc)
This stitch is a variation of the Single crochet. It is thicker than the ordinary single crochet and would be best used in dishcloths, heavy afghans, sweaters, scarves and even preemie blankets. It can be used in any pattern that uses single crochet but it would make the item thicker.

As far as I know, this stitch does not exist anywhere else. But I could be wrong. If I am, let me know. :)

This is what is called a stand alone stitch. You do not need to do a multiple of stitches to create a pattern of this stitch. Like a double crochet or a single crochet. It is a stitch all by itself. :)

When you do this sitch in the round, it would be a very good idea to turn your work around at the end of each round after joining. It is very difficult to insert the hook into the stitch if you do not turn the work around. To do this stitch:
Insert hook in back loop of next stitch, draw up a loop, insert hook through both loops of same stitch, draw up a loop and then draw through all 3 loops on hook. That's it.

#4 Catana

Catana
  • Villager
  • 486 posts

• Joined 27-March 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

dsc sounds interesting. I'll have to try it. Seems like a combination of single and half double.

#5 thecrochetdude

thecrochetdude
  • Villager
  • 1,899 posts

• Joined 07-April 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

Hmm, sounds like doing two sc in the same st without creating a big hole. Velly interestink. I may have to go a swatchin'.... :wink

#6 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for posting this!

This should make a fairly dense fabric. Could be a useful stitch for potholders, bags.:)

#7 crochet.sandie

crochet.sandie
  • Villager
  • 470 posts

• Joined 08-June 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:06 AM

I was intrigued with the double single crochet and went googling. Here are my results:

I found it at these places:
http://www.jpfun.com...tches/dsc.shtml
http://www.crochetpa...ry/stitches.php (link to the above site)
http://members.fortu...azeliz/id21.htm

It was also mentioned here as part of the index of the book Crochet Your Way by Susan Levin and Gloria Tracy:
http://www.taunton.c...070425_tcpg.asp

Amazon says
"double single crochet" appears in the book above, also Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti, and Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet, which has gone missing in my house.

It's also possible the pattern was European as I found another site that had "dc (US sc)" meaning her pattern calls it a dc, but in the U.S. it is sc.

That was just a cursory search, so the stitch is a stitch and available in more than one place.

Hope that helps or at least helps those of you who were, like me, curious.

#8 faithpa76

faithpa76
  • Villager
  • 6,723 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:55 AM

Very interesting. Sounds like it would be nice and thick.

Faith ~ The Crocheting Cook

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~ Elizabeth Stone

#9 benee16

benee16
  • Villager
  • 248 posts

• Joined 11-April 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:52 AM

I kind of use that stitch when I make pants for my daughter. Only I do it in a double crochet. I'll stitch into the back loop and make a dc, then do it in the front loop across the waist row. Then I do a row of dc in the back set of dc, and join yarn to make a row of dc in the front dcs, then I dc through both front and back dcs and it ends up holding the string I use to keep my daughter's pants up.
Denise

#10 Catana

Catana
  • Villager
  • 486 posts

• Joined 27-March 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

I did a swatch of the dsc and even though it is thicker than regular single, it also has much bigger holes between the stitiches. I guess this is because you're pulling two loops through the stitches instead of one. I hoped it would be something I could use where I wanted real warmth, like a hat that will keep out the cold wind, but the large holes knock it out of the ball game. My favorite stitch for density is still hdc. It's faster than single, thicker, but still flexible. The dsc seemed stiffer to me.

#11 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:10 PM

I did a swatch of the dsc and even though it is thicker than regular single, it also has much bigger holes between the stitiches. I guess this is because you're pulling two loops through the stitches instead of one. I hoped it would be something I could use where I wanted real warmth, like a hat that will keep out the cold wind, but the large holes knock it out of the ball game. My favorite stitch for density is still hdc. It's faster than single, thicker, but still flexible. The dsc seemed stiffer to me.

I did a mini swatch, too and I must agree. What it might be good for though is a hotpad, or for those who crochet for animal shelters, this stitch could make a nice little pad for a dog or a cat.

If you want a nice dense stitch, you should try slipstitch (Bosnian) crochet.
It's incredible.

#12 crochet.sandie

crochet.sandie
  • Villager
  • 470 posts

• Joined 08-June 05

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

I have found my Donna Kooler book. Yay! It was in a place I'd looked already a hundred times. LOL Anyway, the double single crochet is on p. 45 in my copy, (c2002 paperback) and it shows 3 pictures demonstrating the stitch. It is considered part of the extended stitch family. If you don't have this book, perhaps you could get it at the library.

#13 crochet.sandie

crochet.sandie
  • Villager
  • 470 posts

• Joined 08-June 05

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

I am cracking up. I went to add the double single crochet to my crochet dictionary - and saw that it was already there. I just called it the extended single crochet. It apparently is also called the locked single crochet, and knotted single crochet. I researched this quite a long time ago when a visitor asked a question, and had forgotten about it. But I see the instructions are just like the dsc. I listed it in both spots.

#14 Renata

Renata
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 17-November 09

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

To Catana:

It may be a little more complicated than the hdc, however, both sides
of the stitch are thicker that the reverse side of hdc. Try doing some
samples; dsc for a few stitches then hdc. You should see a difference
on the reverse side.

#15 InocentAngel

InocentAngel
  • Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 22-May 12

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I saw this post when looking for "sdc" and noticed the replies are all for "dsc"

I finally found the "sdc" in a 1950's pattern book and it stands for "short double crochet" better known to the modern crochet world as "half double"

#16 taglady

taglady
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 29-July 12

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hello, I am new here, but I had the same issue I found a link to some free slipper patterns that lead me to

http://www.freevintagecrochet.com

A site that has patterns from books no longer in print. Several come form a digitally restored book offered for $2.49, Star 47. Some of these patterns reference instructions covered in one of the previous patterns in the book.

sdc stands for short double crochet and is explained in pattern # 4711.
It can be found at the link below under the instructions for making the soles:

http://www.freevinta...ballet-slippers

"s d c: thread over, insert in st, pull through and work off all loops at one time"

hdc is thread over, insert in stitch, pull through, [B]YARN Over [B] then pull through the three loops.

Edited by taglady, 01 August 2012 - 09:01 AM.
to compare sdc with hdc.

#17 Fatoldladyinpjs

Fatoldladyinpjs
  • Villager
  • 27 posts

• Joined 10-June 12

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

I just came across this sdc (single double crochet)in a vintage pattern from Free Vintage Crochet Patterns a few days ago. It's a vintage abbreviation for a half double crochet. That's the explanation the website gave.

#18 Fatoldladyinpjs

Fatoldladyinpjs
  • Villager
  • 27 posts

• Joined 10-June 12

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

My mistake. It was called the Short Double Crochet. This was in their section on how to crochet and the various stitches.

http://www.freevinta...-double-crochet

#19 glymagly

glymagly
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 01-December 12

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hi, I just found this thread...
I have used double single crochet all my life and I am 63 years old. I am Hispanic and learned crochet when I was an adolescent in Home Economics class which it was mandatory.

Double Single Crochet was one of the stitches my HomeEc teacher taught me and it is the one I use most to make simple, basic, quick scarfs mainly if I want to make warm scarfs and want to block cold air. It is tight but not as tight as single crochet and not as loose as double crochet. It is done like double crochet but you do not 'yo' to start with.

dsc:
1) insert hook
2) pull yarn
3) yo
4) pull through one loop
5) yo
6) pull through two loops
7) dsc is done

Hope you understood.

Edited by glymagly, 01 December 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#20 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,867 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi, I just found this thread...
I have used double single crochet all my life and I am 63 years old. I am Hispanic and learned crochet when I was an adolescent in Home Economics class which it was mandatory.

Double Single Crochet was one of the stitches my HomeEc teacher taught me and it is the one I use most to make simple, basic, quick scarfs mainly if I want to make warm scarfs and want to block cold air. It is tight but not as tight as single crochet and not as loose as double crochet. It is done like double crochet but you do not 'yo' to start with.

dsc:
1) insert hook
2) pull yarn
3) yo
4) pull through one loop
5) yo
6) pull through two loops
7) dsc is done

Hope you understood.

Hi, welcome to the ville:hook
Your description is really interesting. The stitch sounds like extended single crochet http://www.nexstitch...xtended_sc.html
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078