Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

How do I make a half circle?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kayscrilla

kayscrilla
  • Villager
  • 20 posts

• Joined 05-December 05

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:14 PM

I'd like to make something similiar to this:

www.anthropologie.com/sho...uctID=2679

the only thing is I can't figure out how to make a half-circle. Could anyone help me?

#2 RebeccaVelasquez

RebeccaVelasquez
  • Villager
  • 5,524 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:25 PM

looking closely8o
i don't think that is made in a half circle. just steady decreases on both sides of a dc or sc (with a large hook), then on the side edges, dc's to give it a softer-round look. probably the same with the collar thing, with decreases to come to make the point where it comes together, then a big 'ol rose pin.

anybody else?

#3 yarnicopia

yarnicopia
  • Villager
  • 95 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:35 AM

Ok so I was curious to know how to crochet a half circle after reading this thread....I went on a google mission ...as I would also love to learn how to crochet a half circle I surely can be done I found a rag rug crocheted in the same shape see here: [img]http://www.maggiescrochet.com/LeafletPages/Leisure_Arts/LA_75033e_225.jpg[/img]

Here is a pattern for a half a watermelon rug ...I'll bet if you play around with this pattern you may end up with something you are looking for.

Semi Circle watermelon rug

HTH
Ro-

#4 Guest_SamplerLady_*

Guest_SamplerLady_*

• Joined --

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

Here's a pattern I develope a while back when I wanted to do the same thing.

Half Circle Lapghan

Row 1: Ch 2, 6 dc in second ch from hook
Row 2: Ch 2, dc in same st as beg st, 2 dc in each remaining dc across
Row 3: Ch 2, dc in same st as beg st, dc in next st, *2 dc in next st, dc in next st* across ending with 2 dc in turning chain
Continuing Rows: Ch 2, dc in same st as beg st, increase the number of *dc in next st(s) by one for each row, then 2 dc in next st* and repeat across.

IOW, Row 4 would be ch 2, dc in same st as beg st, *dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st* across ending with 2 dc in turning chain
Row 5 would be ch 2, dc in same st as beg st, *dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st* across, ending with 2 dc in turning chain and so on until desired size is reached.

Howerver, I agree....the pic you posted isn't a half circle. It's like if you cut a pie into 8 pieces and took away two adjacent pieces. What remains -the six pieces- is the shape you're looking for to make the shawl in that picture.
:))

#5 kayscrilla

kayscrilla
  • Villager
  • 20 posts

• Joined 05-December 05

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

Thanks ladies! I guess I'll just have to play around with it until I figure it out. :thinking1

#6 DawnsRays

DawnsRays
  • Villager
  • 512 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

Okay, this is really bugging me now--thanks. That wrap is really pretty. It looks like it is made in the form of a CAPE. So, I went searching and let me tell you, Adult capes are hard to come by. However here is a link to a crocheted baby cape that if you modified, it would probably turn out kind of like something your looking for.

www.knitting-crochet.com/...lacap.html

I'll keep looking, cause frankly, I wouldn't mind having a wrap similar to that one in your picture :thinking1
Let me know what you think
~DAWN

#7 DawnsRays

DawnsRays
  • Villager
  • 512 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:50 AM

Ha Ha!!

web.archive.org/web/20010...4-135.html

Even better!!Check this one out

~DAWN

#8 RebeccaVelasquez

RebeccaVelasquez
  • Villager
  • 5,524 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:43 AM

oooo, that last one is great! i bet it would work nicely! oh, think of it, in that new "divine" yarn.... YUMMMY :)h

#9 DawnsRays

DawnsRays
  • Villager
  • 512 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:03 PM

Hey Rebecca,
Smileys Yarn is having a sale on the Patons Divine. $3.99 a ball. Check it out if you are interested--sure is pretty!

www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shop...=iriot.htm

~DAWN

#10 RebeccaVelasquez

RebeccaVelasquez
  • Villager
  • 5,524 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:54 PM

OMG - now why'd ya have to go and tell me a thing like that!? :bounce :woohoo :bounce

#11 kayscrilla

kayscrilla
  • Villager
  • 20 posts

• Joined 05-December 05

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

Thanks everybody! I like to ask intruiging questions to make you use your thinking caps! :thinking1