• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ohio_mom

ohio_mom

• Villager
  • 64 posts

• Joined 26-July 09

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hi, everyone! This is my first post, I found your message board through sheer desperation.

I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics today and bought a book of crochet patterns, "Crochet Afghans by the Pound," by Rita Weiss. It seems like it had simple patterns to follow (for a beginner like me).

So..........here I am, trying my luck with "Bubble Gum".

I understood the instructions up until Row 3, which state:

Row 3: Sc in first sc, *ch 4, sk next ch -4 lp, sc in next sc rep from * across.

I understand I'm supposed to single crochet in the first single crochet, and then chain 4 and skip the next ch (??????) -- this is where it gets confusing....skip the next chain....or .....what is that "-4 lp" part???

I am so confused....please help me. :)

With thanks,
Lisa (ohio_mom)

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan

• Villager
  • 9,026 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

on the previous row, did you make a loop of four chain stitches? sk next ch-4 loop means to skip the next chain-4 loop. in other words just skip over the loop of four chain stitches and single crochet in the following single crochet.
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 ohio_mom

ohio_mom

• Villager
  • 64 posts

• Joined 26-July 09

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thank you for your help, and quick reply!

Yes, in the previous row, I did chain 4:
Row 2 Sc in first sc; *ch 4, sk next 3 sc, sc in next sc; rep from * across. Ch 1 turn.

So...not to sound dense....but do I assume that even though I'm skipping over that whole giant loop of 4 (in row 3), I'm making up for it by chaining 4? At first glance (to novice me) it seems like skipping over that giant loop would cut me short...but it's late, and I find that my comprehension decreases as the hour increases :)

Thank you again!

#4 faedragon

faedragon

• Villager
  • 743 posts

• Joined 21-February 06

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

".but do I assume that even though I'm skipping over that whole giant loop of 4 (in row 3), I'm making up for it by chaining 4? "

Instead of assuming what you'll be doing, read the pattern through. It tells you what to do. And no , you cannot assume that because you are skipping " that whole giant loop of 4" that you will then be doing chaining 4 to make it up. The space can be made up using any combination of stitches, it does not have to be chains.

#5 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan

• Villager
  • 9,026 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Thank you for your help, and quick reply!

Yes, in the previous row, I did chain 4:
Row 2 Sc in first sc; *ch 4, sk next 3 sc, sc in next sc; rep from * across. Ch 1 turn.

So...not to sound dense....but do I assume that even though I'm skipping over that whole giant loop of 4 (in row 3), I'm making up for it by chaining 4? At first glance (to novice me) it seems like skipping over that giant loop would cut me short...but it's late, and I find that my comprehension decreases as the hour increases :)

Thank you again!

the chain 4 in this row is over the chain 4 in the row below, so yes it equals out. You're going to have a sort of mesh effect, with single crochet stitches stacked on each other, with the chain-4 strands in between.

Some patterns don't give much info to help get a mental image of what you are making; in general I have found patterns by this author and publisher to be lacking in information that helps me visualize the pattern. If you're lucky there will be a photo where you can see the stitches.

I think it's a good thing to ask this kind of question and to want to understand what you are crocheting. You might be interested in the book Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti; it has the perspective of understanding the structure of crochet so you can troubleshoot patterns and don't have to be dependent on them.
--Kathy
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#6 acraftylady

acraftylady

• Villager
  • 3,603 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

I have that book and know what pattern you are talking about. Those patterns are easy but it depends on how much beginner stuff you have done so far I guess. First of all read the whole pattern through as suggested before even starting. That was my one big mistake in the beginning was to just jump right in and not read the whole pattern. If you want you can PM me and I will give you my e-mail address in case you get stuck. That whole booklet has some neat patterns that I just love. I was just thinking today about using the bubble gum pattern for a scarf I need to do in red for an aids fundraiser. Mary

#7 jeannej

jeannej

• Villager
  • 2,226 posts

• Joined 30-May 09

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Adding to what the others have shared (skipping the "ch-4 loop", and reading the pattern through), It very well may be that the previous row's "ch-4 loops" that you leave unworked (skipped) in row 3, will either come into play (be picked up) in a later row, or simply be left loose, lending to an all-over "chain-loop" texture to the piece, depending - Read through the next couple of row to find out what you'll be doing with them.

Oh, and Lisa, take it from me...when it gets late and my thoughts are getting more tangled than my yarn, it's time for a crocheter to catch some Zzzz'. :sleep Many a knot's untangled after a good night sleep. Let us know how it comes out?

Edited by jeannej, 26 July 2009 - 09:59 PM.

~Jeanne~
"Our 'stories' are woven into each piece of work
as yarn flows through our hands and over our hook
- Oh, the stories our stitches could tell..." ~jeanne
--------------------------------------------------

#8 ohio_mom

ohio_mom

• Villager
  • 64 posts

• Joined 26-July 09

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:19 AM

Thank you for all your help. Sorry if I gave the impression I didn't read the directions through (I did, several times, before I even bought the book), but I guess I must have read too fast over the "-4 lp" part. I guess I'll have to pay attention! (I think I was too excited about having a project to start that sounded halfway easy for me!)

It appears this afghan is coming together "sideways", which was also confusing to me. When started the first row, I thought it would be the top, not the first vertical side row.

Thank you again for your help.

Edited by ohio_mom, 27 July 2009 - 04:49 AM.
clarification

#9 ohio_mom

ohio_mom

• Villager
  • 64 posts

• Joined 26-July 09

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

Boy, now I feel really silly. :)

I'm well past row 3 (which you continue till the end), and this particular afghan is really, really, really easy! Thanks for getting me over the hump!

#10 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan

• Villager
  • 9,026 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

It appears this afghan is coming together "sideways", which was also confusing to me. When started the first row, I thought it would be the top, not the first vertical side row.

This is an example of the kind of info I think is missing from a lot of patterns. Seems to me it would be easy to add just a little construction info to the pattern!

And don't feel silly, we all have humps to get over!
--Kathy

#11 ohio_mom

ohio_mom

• Villager
  • 64 posts

• Joined 26-July 09

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

This is an example of the kind of info I think is missing from a lot of patterns. Seems to me it would be easy to add just a little construction info to the pattern!

And don't feel silly, we all have humps to get over!

Amen to that! (I mean, really, would it have been that hard to say, "this piece is worked sideways"???

But, then again, if the instructions were clearer, I wouldn't have found you guys!

Thanks to all, again, for the great advice and understandable explanations!

-Lisa