20 replies to this topic

#1 nnt

nnt

• Villager
  • 526 posts

• Joined 17-April 07

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:14 AM

Hi Everyone!

Well, I just finished my first "real" pattern, that I actually wanted to write down because I thought I'd make it again. I have looked a long time for a top-down baby sweater in fingering weight yarn. I found some beautiful knitted ones, but all the crochet ones I found were seamed, which I CAN do, but don't enjoy.

This pattern is different. No seaming, and you do the edging as you go, which means very little finishing. Just add buttons. Also, I am toying with some different body patterns... a few lacy ones for girls, a cable one, etc. If you all like this, I'll post them as I get them done. I really like the flexibility. After you do the yoke, you can pretty much do anything you like with it.

I welcome all feedback!! Please let me know of any errors or anything that I wrote that isn't clear (I've never had to explain what I was doing before). By the way, you are welcome to use this pattern for gifts or charity purposes. Please do not sell or distribute pattern. Thank you for looking!

Epiphany Baby Sweater

Faded Stripes

Materials: Rowan 4 ply soft yarn (or any fingering weight/sock yarn)
Color A: 2 balls Whisper (blue), Color B: 1 ball Suede or colors of your choice

ā€œEā€ hook (or size needed for gauge)

Needle

(4) 3/8 inch buttons

Size: 3 mo
Gauge: 11 dc = 2 inches

Special Stitches and notes:

Shell: 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in same sp

Special Notes:
In this pattern, always put first stitch of row in first stitch of row below. Do not count turning ch as a stitch, and do not put a stitch into turning ch. At the end of dc row, ch 2, turn. At the end of a sc or hdc row, ch 1, turn, first st. in first stitch of row below.

To change colors, leave last to lps on hook, drop yarn, make lp with new color, draw new color thru last 2 lps left on hook of previous color. Cut previous color. Continue with new color. Weave in ends.

Yoke:

With A, starting at neckline, Ch 62
Row 1 (right side): Dc in 4th chain from hook, (ch 3 counts as 1st dc), dc in next 10 ch, shell, dc in next 4 ch, shell, dc in next 24 ch, shell, dc in next 4 dc, shell, dc in last 12 ch. Ch 2, turn.

Row 2: Dc in first dc and each dc to shell, *shell in shell sp, dc to next shell, repeat from * to end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 3-6: repeat row 2

Row 7: Dc in first dc and each dc to shell, *in shell work dc, ch 2, dc, dc to next shell, repeat from * to end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 8: Dc in first dc and each dc to ch 2 sp, *in sp work dc, ch 2, dc, dc in each dc to next sp, repeat from * to end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 9-11: repeat row 8.

Row 12: Dc in first dc and each dc to first sp, * yo, pull up lp, yo and draw thru 2 lps, yo, draw up lp in next ch2 sp, yo and draw thru 2 lps, yo, and draw thru all 3 lps on hook (underarm made), dc in next dc to next sp,* repeat from * to end. Leaving last 2 lps of last dc on hook, begin color B (see color change directions above).

Body: following color changes and stitch pattern below, complete stripes in the following colors:

Row 1: Sc in B

Row 2-3: Dc in A

Row 4: Hdc in B

Row 5: Dc in A

Row 6: Dc in B

Row 7: Hdc in A

Row 8-9: Dc in B

Row 10: Sc in A

Row 11-14: Dc in B. Do not finish off after row 14. Ch 1, turn.

Edging: with right side facing, 3 sc in dc below, continue sc in each dc across bottom edge, 3 sc in corner, sc evenly up right side of sweater, 3 sc in corner, sc in back ridge of starting chain, 3 sc in corner, sc evenly down left side if sweater, join to first sc, finish off.

Sleeve:
Row 1: With front facing, join B with sl st in ch 2 of underarm, draw up 5 lps across underarm, with last lp in next ch 2 sp, yo and pull thru all 6 lps on hook (first st made), sc in dc around arm, join A in last sc, sl st to first sc, ch 2, turn.

Follow stripe pattern for Body rows 2-14. At end of row 14, ch 1, turn.

Edging: sc in same st and next st, *yo, draw up lp in next 2 st (3 lps on hook), yo, draw thru 3 lps (decrease made), sc in next 2 st, repeat from * around. Join to first sc, fasten off.

Repeat for second sleeve.

Finishing: Weave in all ends and attach 4 buttons evenly spaced on yoke.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0584.jpg
  • 100_0585.jpg

nnt
WIP's:
baby items for presents
starting christmas presents!

#2 idagammy

idagammy

• Villager
  • 2,585 posts

• Joined 12-November 06

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:49 AM

Thank you for sharing your pattern!

#3 dobermama

dobermama

• Villager
  • 5,796 posts

• Joined 21-December 08

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:13 AM

Thank you for sharing! Great color combination and like the idea that you don't have to seam :)

Proud owner of Bag Lady #60: The Rose
Proud Owner Punk's Sunflower Market Tote
Proud Owner:HookerAngel Original Afghan doberghan

Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own. Mathew 6:34

Toni in the mountains of NE Alabama
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com please click to feed the animals

#4 crs5

crs5

• Villager
  • 2,694 posts

• Joined 20-October 06

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

Too Cute!!!!!!! Thanx for sharing

Carol:hook

#5 rosebud1st

rosebud1st

• Villager
  • 221 posts

• Joined 31-October 05

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

This is your first pattern? You should be very proud. What a great job you did. Thank you for sharing.

/\__/\

(='.'=)

(")_(")

If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got!

The Lord led you to it and the Lord will lead you through it!

#6 Katy_Ravensong

Katy_Ravensong

• Villager
  • 982 posts

• Joined 27-September 07

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thanks! I just found out I'm going to be a gramma so the timing on this is perfect!
Katy Ravensong :)

#7 Rsaulsbury40

Rsaulsbury40

• Villager
  • 142 posts

• Joined 06-December 07

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for sharing your pattern. I love making baby items. It is a great pattern!
Rose Saulsbury "don't tell my husband I like sports!"
1. CHICAGO CUBS 2. CHICAGO BEARS 3. NC STATE WOLFPACK 4. UNC TARHEELS
WIP: Homespun Afghan, Grannyghan, baby layette, snowflakes and christmas ornaments, crocheted jewelry

#8 cissy

cissy

• Villager
  • 2,524 posts

• Joined 09-June 07

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:54 AM

How great you posted the pattern !!!! Your sweater is stunning.....and...............I can see it in chocolate and pink too !!!

#9 clocke

clocke

• Villager
  • 939 posts

• Joined 29-November 05

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

That sweater is pretty. I especially like the way the color stripes work. :)
WIP's
--a shawl

Current CAL's
--2010 Stashbusting CAL status: in the hole
--Baby It's Cold Outside: yarn = patons wool
"...really love your peaches/wanna shake your tree..." - Steve Miller Band, The Joker

#10 tcandlgmom

tcandlgmom

• Villager
  • 542 posts

• Joined 11-June 07

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

Lovely pattern!
Jenny

Proud owner of thepunkrockinchick's 1st June 2010 Sunburst Marketbag
2010 Favorite Color 2009 Winter Scarf ; Purse/Tote and Faux Can Be Fun 2008 Notions and Amigurumi Swaps
My Wishlist
My Blog

Friendship-ghan Square CAL I need 12" ww acrylic squares 15 of 24
Soldiersangels.org support our troops

#11 needlekrafter

needlekrafter

• Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 31-January 09

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

This is a beautiful pattern and I can't wait to try it out! Thank you for sharing.

#12 lewlie108

lewlie108

• Villager
  • 134 posts

• Joined 14-May 07

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

Awesome pattern. Thanks for sharing!
What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has been breathed easier because you have lived; This is to have succeeded."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#13 Mom w/a Motif

Mom w/a Motif

• Villager
  • 7,247 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

I LOVE it!! :hook Thank you for sharing your pattern with us! :hug

#14 smiley1244

smiley1244

• Villager
  • 74 posts

• Joined 25-September 06

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

:cheer
thanks for sharing your pattern with us !!
i'm about to start it NOW !!
yes PLEASE give us your other patterns when you finish them !!!!

#15 123Nkechi

123Nkechi

• Villager
  • 4 posts

• Joined 04-March 09

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

Thank you! I've been looking for something just like this!

#16 Katy_Ravensong

Katy_Ravensong

• Villager
  • 982 posts

• Joined 27-September 07

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

Nice pattern - thanks for sharing.
Katy Ravensong :)

#17 Thesunroom

Thesunroom

• Villager
  • 109 posts

• Joined 18-September 09

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

This looks great - is it quite a quick pattern? :)

#18 nnt

nnt

• Villager
  • 526 posts

• Joined 17-April 07

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

This looks great - is it quite a quick pattern? :)

Not sure what your definition of "quick" is... I can finish one in a few hours (3-4 maybe, counting weaving in ends) of uninterrupted crochet time!
nnt
WIP's:
baby items for presents
starting christmas presents!

#19 supermommy

supermommy

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 16-August 12

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

This looks like such a cute little boy sweater. I'm trying to make it for my baby that will be born the end of October (2012).
There are a few confusing instructions, though, and I didn't catch my mistake until I was half way through the sweater. This means if I want my baby to be able to wear this cute sweater, I'll have to start over.:(

When the instructions say "Dc in first dc and each dc to shell" it does not make it clear exactly what it means. To me, that means "to the shell, but not dc on the shell." ie., to the shell, skip the dc of the shell and go directly to the 2 chain space in the middle of the shell. This means my pattern didn't get the added stitches it needed. I thought it looked strange, but I'm not super familiar with making sweaters... this is my first one... so I figured it would work itself out somehow. For clarity, it should say something like "dc in first dc and each dc to 2ch in the shell."

Another confusing thing in the instructions was how it tells what to actually stitch inside the shell... it took me a little while to figure it out. What threw me is that it gives a * and then tells what to do inside the shell. But what goes in the shell should be in parentheses for clarity.

*in shell work (dc, ch 2, dc), dc to next shell,

is much more clear than the way it is written.

I hope this helps anyone else who is as inexperienced as I am.

Hi Everyone!

Well, I just finished my first "real" pattern, that I actually wanted to write down because I thought I'd make it again. I have looked a long time for a top-down baby sweater in fingering weight yarn. I found some beautiful knitted ones, but all the crochet ones I found were seamed, which I CAN do, but don't enjoy.

This pattern is different. No seaming, and you do the edging as you go, which means very little finishing. Just add buttons. Also, I am toying with some different body patterns... a few lacy ones for girls, a cable one, etc. If you all like this, I'll post them as I get them done. I really like the flexibility. After you do the yoke, you can pretty much do anything you like with it.

I welcome all feedback!! Please let me know of any errors or anything that I wrote that isn't clear (I've never had to explain what I was doing before). By the way, you are welcome to use this pattern for gifts or charity purposes. Please do not sell or distribute pattern. Thank you for looking!

Epiphany Baby Sweater

Faded Stripes

Materials: Rowan 4 ply soft yarn (or any fingering weight/sock yarn)
Color A: 2 balls Whisper (blue), Color B: 1 ball Suede or colors of your choice

ā€œEā€ hook (or size needed for gauge)

Needle

(4) 3/8 inch buttons

Size: 3 mo
Gauge: 11 dc = 2 inches

Special Stitches and notes:

Shell: 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in same sp

Special Notes:
In this pattern, always put first stitch of row in first stitch of row below. Do not count turning ch as a stitch, and do not put a stitch into turning ch. At the end of dc row, ch 2, turn. At the end of a sc or hdc row, ch 1, turn, first st. in first stitch of row below.

To change colors, leave last to lps on hook, drop yarn, make lp with new color, draw new color thru last 2 lps left on hook of previous color. Cut previous color. Continue with new color. Weave in ends.

Yoke:

With A, starting at neckline, Ch 62
Row 1 (right side): Dc in 4th chain from hook, (ch 3 counts as 1st dc), dc in next 10 ch, shell, dc in next 4 ch, shell, dc in next 24 ch, shell, dc in next 4 dc, shell, dc in last 12 ch. Ch 2, turn.

Row 2: Dc in first dc and each dc to shell, *shell in shell sp, dc to next shell, repeat from * to end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 3-6: repeat row 2

Row 7: Dc in first dc and each dc to shell, *in shell work dc, ch 2, dc, dc to next shell, repeat from * to end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 8: Dc in first dc and each dc to ch 2 sp, *in sp work dc, ch 2, dc, dc in each dc to next sp, repeat from * to end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 9-11: repeat row 8.

Row 12: Dc in first dc and each dc to first sp, * yo, pull up lp, yo and draw thru 2 lps, yo, draw up lp in next ch2 sp, yo and draw thru 2 lps, yo, and draw thru all 3 lps on hook (underarm made), dc in next dc to next sp,* repeat from * to end. Leaving last 2 lps of last dc on hook, begin color B (see color change directions above).

Body: following color changes and stitch pattern below, complete stripes in the following colors:

Row 1: Sc in B

Row 2-3: Dc in A

Row 4: Hdc in B

Row 5: Dc in A

Row 6: Dc in B

Row 7: Hdc in A

Row 8-9: Dc in B

Row 10: Sc in A

Row 11-14: Dc in B. Do not finish off after row 14. Ch 1, turn.

Edging: with right side facing, 3 sc in dc below, continue sc in each dc across bottom edge, 3 sc in corner, sc evenly up right side of sweater, 3 sc in corner, sc in back ridge of starting chain, 3 sc in corner, sc evenly down left side if sweater, join to first sc, finish off.

Sleeve:
Row 1: With front facing, join B with sl st in ch 2 of underarm, draw up 5 lps across underarm, with last lp in next ch 2 sp, yo and pull thru all 6 lps on hook (first st made), sc in dc around arm, join A in last sc, sl st to first sc, ch 2, turn.

Follow stripe pattern for Body rows 2-14. At end of row 14, ch 1, turn.

Edging: sc in same st and next st, *yo, draw up lp in next 2 st (3 lps on hook), yo, draw thru 3 lps (decrease made), sc in next 2 st, repeat from * around. Join to first sc, fasten off.

Repeat for second sleeve.

Finishing: Weave in all ends and attach 4 buttons evenly spaced on yoke.

#20 craftconnie1

craftconnie1

• Villager
  • 793 posts

• Joined 04-April 06

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

I tried and tried and tried to design a pattern like this and gave up. thank you SO much1